Thursday, October 11, 2007

Private? Public? Somewhere in between?

I have seen this a lot lately. Rude, insensitive comments on posts, many of them totally tangential and not about the main issue discussed in the blog at all. MadMomma brought it up in her latest post as well. She is wondering why blog posts get hijacked and taken in a completely different direction by the readers of the blog? I have been thinking about it as well and have been wanting to write a post on it. My take is a little different on it. Maybe because I have a very limited readership and my posts don't get as many comments as Mad Momma's posts do, it doesn't bother me in the same way it bothers her.

To me, it is kind of interesting how different readers pick up different points from the same post. How they interpret the same thing differently. Much like two siblings might form different attitudes about life in general based on their experiences under similar circumstances. People take away different life-lessons from same situations. For example, I believe in God though I do not follow any organized religion but my brother is an atheist. We grew up together and our parents behaved exactly the same with us in this reagrd. They showed us their beliefs and we saw them taking part in Havans and other religious activities yet both of us developed different beliefs. That is the strength of a human mind. Two minds can come up with two different thoughts under the same circumstances. There is no fixed formula to how minds work. And I think that is why different readers interpret the same post differently. I have also seen, and found it interesting, that different readers pick up different parts of the same post to comment on. So, for a simple post that might tackle different parenting issues ranging from baby food to sleep habits, education and discipline, I am sure I will get varied comments on different parts of the post. And, to me, that is the beauty of blogging. It feels just like when you are sitting with friends and a topic of discussion comes up. Everyone puts in their two cents and sometimes they veer off to something totally different. Sometimes I get a comment on a post of mine that make ME think differently about the issue that has been commented upon.

This is all fine and dandy when we are talking about regular readers of our blogs. We write a post, they read the post, and then everyone shares their opinions in the comments section. Sometimes it even becomes a "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" fest :D Or as one would say in Sanskrit - "परस्परम् प्रशंसति, अहो रूपम् अहो ध्वनि!" [Begin digression: This Sanskrit phrase comes from a story. Once a camel and a crow met. After getting acquainted, they started praising each other. The crow said "Oh, what a beautiful face!" and the camel said "Oh, what a melodious voice!" : End digression] Now, don't take it otherwise. I mentioned the phrase in the most affectionate and humorous way. It feels good to give and receive praise and it builds goodwill all around - something all of us could use on any given day.

Sometimes that doesn't happen. For bloggers like MadMomma, Megha, Rohini and many others who fearlessly express their opinions on a variety of issues, along come the special class of readers and commentors - the NASTY ANONYMOUS reader/commentors. This is where things mostly get out of hand. Now again, it is perfectly fine to comment anonymously as long as you do so with civility and respect for the owner of the blog. But what happens generally is an anonymous reader would leave a rude comment on some totally irrelevant part of the post and then a commenting war ensues. I have been part of one such war at Megha's latest post. And I am ashamed to say that towards the end I became catty. That is when I realized that I needed to bring my thoughts away from her space and jot them down in my own. In my defense I would say that I engaged in it in the first place because I couldn't just stand by and see Megha being attacked for her views in her OWN space.

Most of the times, the main argument that these anonymous commentors (henceforth ACs or NACs - Nasty Anonymous Commentors) give in the support of their rude comments is that the blogger called it upon themselves by airing their issues in a "public space". [Begin digression 2: One AC called it a "public forum". Now, isn't that repetitive? A "forum" is a place for public to gather and have discussions (ref. --> Dictionary.com) . A "public forum" becomes a "public place for public to gather"? Anyway, I am just splitting hair! :End digression 2] What they don't realize is that a blog ["a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page": ref. --> dictionary.com] is NOT a public space. Yes, it is available for everyone to read (based on the settings) and comment. But it is not open for everyone to write POSTS on. It belongs to the owner of that particular blog. The comment section may be considered public but in that case one should behave as one would in any other public place - with civility and dignity. If they don't like what they read, they have two options - comment with civility or go to their own space and vent about it.

The second argument meted out is that if a blogger activates comment moderation on their blog, they 1) do so to drown out all dissenting voices, 2) deserve such comments because of what they write about and they can choose not to publish them, 3) are cowards, 4) should stop complaining, 5)do not support free speech 6) are hypocrites and so on. I'll tackle these one by one.

A blogger activates comment moderation to drown out all dissenting voices. Bloggers choose to moderate comments for various reasons. One of those reasons IS to filter out rude, insensitive jerks who don't know how to express a differing opinion in a civilized manner. I don't see most of these bloggers criticizing everyone who differs from them in their opinions, only those who do it in an uncivilized way. Nothing wrong with that. I have seen plenty of comments that disagree with the bloggers' opinions (on MadMomma and Megha's blogs, for example). The fact that these comments were allowed in the comment section shows that these bloggers are not afraid of, or intolerant of contradicting opinion.

These bloggers deserve such comments because of what they write about and they can choose not to publish them. I beg to differ. No one deserves rude, insensitive or threatening comments for what they write, however controversial it might be. One - lets not forget that they are airing their opinions in THEIR PERSONAL SPACE. They don't come to YOUR blog to write these posts. Two - AGAIN - you can disagree. But be civil, be decent, be polite. If you still don't like what they wrote or how they reacted to disagreeing comments, leave. You can make the choice not to read what they write.

I listen to various radio programmes on my way back from work. The one I catch the most is hosted by Dr. Michael Savage. Now, Dr. Savage most times behaves according to his last name. That is his style. He bulldozes all his callers if they happen to disagree with him. He bulldozes even those callers who agree with him. I don't particularly like that even though sometimes he does have interesting and informed opinions about the topics he discusses. So, as soon as he starts doing that I switch channels. Simple as that! I could call in and tell him how I feel but I know that's not going to make a difference. Besides - it is HIS program. HE decides how to behave on it. If anyone is willing to take that kind of treatment from him, they call him. Those who can't, don't. Same goes with blogs, in my opinion.

These bloggers have comment moderation on because they are cowards. From what I have seen on most blogs that have comment moderation on is that the bloggers are not trying to hide behind that censorship. They love a good debate. Bloggers might, as I mentioned earlier, have various reasons for turning comment moderation on, but cowardice is usually not one of them. This is just a juvenile accusation to prove one's point at every cost.

Bloggers who have comment moderation on should stop complaining. Why? Why should someone stop complaining about the rude treatment they are getting from someone else? Just because they set up a filter on a PERSONAL site? It is like saying that a person should not complain about a robbery attempt at their home if they have a security system in place. Surely the robbery attempt was unsuccessful BECAUSE they had that security system. Similarly, if these bloggers didn't have comment moderation, the rude comments WOULD have made it through to their comment space and polluted the whole space. Just because I might have comment moderation on does NOT give someone the license to send me rude, threatening or obscene comments! I am pretty sure that these NACs won't stop spreading their vile comments even if comment moderation were removed from all blogs.

Bloggers who turn comment moderation on do not support free speech. Again, a misconception in these un/mis-informed minds, I am sure. Also, free speech comes with responsibilities. Just because you have freedom to speak, does not mean you can speak trash to or about someone else. Basic manners! Would you go to some one's house or approach someone in a "public space" IN PERSON and speak as harshly? Would you express your opinions with such abandon if you had to reveal your identity? Free speech is all good and noble, but only when it doesn't attack other people's right to speak out their minds. That too in their own spaces. If only we applied the same rules of etiquette to our blog comments, that we apply to our conversations with real live people, this issue wouldn't even arise. And it is interesting to note that the advocates of free speech are all conveniently ACs! And no. Adding a letter or an initial (or even a name, which could be fictional for all we know) at the end of your comment does not mean you have adequately revealed your identity. Create your own blogger profile, log in with that profile and THEN leave a nasty comment. You won't. Because then you can be traced back to your personal space and attacked. See what I mean??

Bloggers who have comment moderation on are hypocrites. Whatever generated this idea? Again, the NACs are confusing the bloggers' right to write in their own space with everyone else's right to comment in a public domain. And comment moderation does not equate to "killing all disagreeing comments" as I have already pointed out. These bloggers are just demanding a little bit of respect for themselves in their own space. Not too much to ask!

As for commentors hijacking the blog by airing their opinions rudely over some unrelated topics - DON'T GO THERE! Read the post first. Otherwise you appear stupid for arguing over something that was not discussed or something that was not the point of the post anyway. Yes, it is easy to mistakenly do so. But it is not easy to be "mistakenly rude". THAT needs effort. There is a difference between just taking the comment off the tangent and hijacking the comment section with rude comments over personal agendas.

I would say the Internet has changed the concept of privacy. So it is easy to mistakenly consider someone else's blog a public domain. Even then, if one would just remember the general rules of behaving in a public space, things won't appear so wrong. One wouldn't be verbally abusive to public speakers even if one disagreed with their opinions. One wouldn't stand up and accuse someone of being a coward, bad parent, bad employer, bad friend or some such thing in a public gathering. The cloak of anonymity gives a person the misplaced strength to do so. It makes a coward out of THEM. Because if they had the courage, if they thought they were correct, they wouldn't do it anonymously.

25 comments:

  1. Fan-tas-tic post. I see, you have taken all of q's chest thumping points and trashed them one by one! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yes, I did a copy-paste of those points, actually :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lady! You make so much sense, no need to sound so wildly on the defensive! The trolls are there, they'll be there. So? the more attention we give them, the happier they are.

    And I think you need to lighten up a bit now. Look'ee here!
    :wink:

    ReplyDelete
  4. And "chest thumping points"? LOL! A new term I am going ot use frequesntly now :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. And dear god, where were you CATTY? You were magnificent, and you shouldn't begrudge or question that. Me thinks you should take part in more arguments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suki: I saw!! Thanks a bunch!! I really appreciate the award :)

    Megha: Now lets not heap undue praise. And catty? Well, I felt I was being one when I openly started bragging to you about my other comments. Seriously, I think that was rude of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderfully said and very balanced. a blog IS a personal space. if you wanna vent, get our own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was in good fun, cee kay, I don't think anybody construed it as remotely being anything close to 'catty' (not me at least). So ease up. You were awesome, and I'm going to praise you until you stop feeling uncomfortable about it. B-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dotmom: Exactly!! Get your own blog to vent. And then we'll drop in to comment. Anonymously!! Tee Hee Hee...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hope the NAC s are reading this

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post. Very well thought through...

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've all been pre-occupied by this lately, na?

    I wrote about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suddenly remembered a post by Kodi's Mom, where she resigns herself to Kodi's tantrums by saying "I have a blog to vent, you don't! Muahahaha!"

    Digression, that. But couldn't help myself!
    (thinking of doing a post on the multiplicity of events, btw. it seems like the beginning of your post points towards that, but doesn't quite go there)

    ReplyDelete
  15. People who want to made rude, acidic comments, question other parents, pass judgements and more such anti-social stuff - ought to have to guts to do in their own name. NOT under the cloak of annonymity. Comment moderation, or otherwise - you ought to have the decency not to run down someone just for the values and opinions he or she has. I have low patience/tolerance for this variety. I'm wondering how you manged to have the strength to do such an elaborate post on these pests.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Itchy: And if they are, they are welcome to leave comments as ACs (without the N!) :)

    Unmana: "I'll point any nasty anonymous commenters I encounter this way!"... How so very thoughtful of you, na? :P BTW - regarding your comment about your hubs being gujarati, it indeed is a small worl! You live in Pune (am I right?) and you are married into a gujarati family? Two connections right there! Now don't tell me that you were born into a brahmin family or that you grew up in Jodhpur/Rajasthan :D

    Choxbox, Rohini: Thanks!

    Suki: Would love to read your thoughts on this. I had been thinking of writing a separate post on that but didn't quite have the time to go through all my posts to gather evidence and write definitively.

    STS: "I'm wondering how you manged to have the strength to do such an elaborate post on these pests."...

    Maybe because I don't get that kind of people to comment on my posts. It is easier to comment on events as an observer. I suspect if I had been the target of such commentors, I might not have been so matter-of-fact. I would have been hoppin' mad and the post would have reflected that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue: I did read that post of yours! Yes, one tends to brrod over it when one sees it happen to poeple one knows (even if just through blogs). I have indulged in a comment-war on occasions in the past too but this time I thought I should get my thoughts down in my own space. That way next time I can tell an NAC "Just go read my post on what I think of you!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely ! Totally with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful breakdown analysis. I hope all those anons read this and think abt it. Though they won't stop hounding the blog sites with their insensitive comments, it still could make them think (keep our fingers crossed).

    Wouldn't it be fun for these ppl to start their blogs and everyone else can go thrash them around? OOOOOHH...sound good.

    Shobana
    http://mybabynaren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you are bang on in everything that you said. I study public policy and there are some pretty contentious debates in the classroom but you learn to disagree with the idea at hand and not the person. When you make it personal it gets ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. excellent post Cee Kay.. I see I'm late to the party. but to hell wit hthtrolls.. I think we all just stand by each other and that at some level riles them more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 2B's Mommy: Thanks!

    Shobana: Good idea. I'd happily accompany you on a virtual TPing tour of the trolls' websites :P I guess thats why they don't get their own blogs - they are afraid what we'll do to them!

    Lumi: Of course - said more concisely than I could ever have!

    MadMomma: You are right - it must drive them crazy when all of us get together and bash the. Poor things!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Unmana: unfortunately, I have only been to Pune once - about 11 years back. But if do come there on my next visit to India, I'll give you a holler.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?