Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Observations and conclusions - and a whole lot of other updates

Observation: The number of moms attending PTO and PTO Council meetings is greater than the number of dads.

Wrong Conclusion: Dads just aren't as interested in their kids' education as moms are.

Right Conclusion: Moms are here because dads are back home taking care of the kids.

Well, of course, it could be grandparents or uncles or aunts taking care of the kids as well, but I think most of the moms can get away to these meetings because dads agree to stay back and do the baby-duty. I know for sure that a few moms can't make it to the meetings because they don't get similar support from their partners. (Or are they using this just as an excuse not to attend these meeting? Hmmmm... The ever-skeptical me!)

I went to the monthly PTO council meeting yesterday. Apart from being a way of being involved in my daughter's education, it is also a means for me to understand the American school system. It helps to know the ins and outs of the system, I am realizing. And I sometimes regret not becoming a part of it earlier because S had to miss some good opportunities just because we weren't aware they existed. Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk.

In the meeting yesterday, I raised a question regarding the parent-teacher conferences. At the end of the meeting, a parent of a high school kid came to me and said he had been observing parents' participation in these meetings for the last couple of years and felt that the questions I raise are few but always very important. It felt good to get that kind of acknowledgment. This year I have limited my participation because of the baby but I am trying my hardest to do at least this much - two meetings every month. I attend the PTO council meeting every month and then report back on it to my daughter's school at the PTO meeting. Even this little bit is appreciated very much. I really like the way parents here can play an active role in their kids' schools. In India, we have to pay through our noses and still don't get a say in how our kids should be educated. [Please correct me if I am wrong and if things have changed now]

Now on to the "whole lot of other updates"...

On Sunday (October 21st) I and Ma went to a 5 mile walk that was raising money for Breast Cancer Research. I had my doubts - I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with my mom who is in a better physical shape than I am. I knew I will be able to finish it but wasn't sure of the state I'd be in afterwards. My mother, on the other hand, was worried that she might not be able to keep up with me due to her age. I am happy to report that both our worries were unfounded. We both walked the 5 miles in 1 hour and 35 minutes!! This was a teeny bit faster than the 20-minute mile I was estimating and a LOT faster than the 30-minute mile J was predicting :) In fact we finished 25 minutes earlier than the rest of our team (this event was sponsored by my office)! And I wasn't in too much of discomfort afterwards. This walk had such a feel-good factor associated with it that now I want to go on another!

Rest all is well in Kay-ville. S has two swim meets coming up this weekend. And I have to plan her birthday party which is going to be a simple affair this year. S just wants to invite a few of her friends home and have a"Hannah Montana" party. And frankly, that is all I feel up to this year. There are a bunch of Diwali parties coming up too. And then there is the Thanksgiving get-together I have at our house every year. November 18th is scheduled for a math contest S is going to participate in. Halloween is around the corner as well. There is a party in S' school too and I have also signed up to volunteer at an event in her school. We have to go to a wedding right after Thanksgiving. All in all, very busy couple of months for us.

4 comments:

  1. I was also a parent rep at my daughter's school and feel I got to know a lot that I wouldnt have otherwise. Am amazed at how much parental involvement is possible - it helps all parties so wonder why its discouraged if/where it is.

    Congrats on doing the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, not much has changed in the Indian schools though some of the new ones are better in this regard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that's wonderful stuff abt the walk! :) Good for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on completing the walk!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?