Monday, January 21, 2008

Never say 'NO'?

Disclaimer: I am not criticizing any parent (unless they are from the group of NON-parents that I have written about in some posts) But please remember - these are my personal views and I don't mean to impose them on anyone.

Updated to add: Tania left me a thought provoking comment for this post. I enjoyed replying to her comment and then I also decided to include her comment and my reply to it in this post. Why? Because I had completely forgotten to include these points, that Tania raised, in my post. And they are very relevant to the subject matter being discussed. Please scroll to the end of this post to see the added comments.

Sometime back I had an argument with a friend. She said one SHOULD say "NO" to kids whenever needed. How else will they learn that life doesn't always give you what you want? How else will you know that you have to deal with disappointments every once in a while? She said hearing "NO" often makes a child realize that that he/she is not the center of the universe and that it prepares them to face real life when they grow up.

I agreed with most of what she said. But I said one should cloak that "NO" in a "YES". I feel that if a child hears "NO" often, he/she learns to tune it out. And that hearing "NO" endlessly through the day is bound to frustrate a child. Agreed that children do things they are not supposed to do one after the other in quick succession. What is a parent to do? We can't just let them do what they want just so they won't have to hear the word "NO" over and over. (Though I have seen many NON-parents do exactly that) But I also believe that instead of saying "NO" over and over like a stuck record, it is better to physically remove the child from the location or distract him/her or take the main temptation away. And it is OK to let them cry for a few minutes if the distraction strategy fails. (Yup! I am heartless)

My friend and I disagreed so much on this issue that we simply agreed to disagree on it and left it at that. I have been thinking of writing on this matter for quite some time and finally today I think the time has come to put down my thoughts on this blog and have the last say in the matter against my friend :D

I absolutley do not mean that one should not say 'no'. I am just saying that sometimes while saying 'no' we should make the child believe we just said 'yes'. How? When S was little, I used to do this all the time. I really feel that how a sentence is interpreted very much depends on how positively (or not) the sentence is said. Take a look at these examples -

Yes, we'll buy that toy some other time.
No, we can't buy that toy right now.

Yes, you can have potato chips as soon as you finish this cucumber.
No you cannot have potato chips. you have to finish this cucumber first.

Yes, we will go to the park as soon as you finish your dinner.
No, we aren't going to the park until you finish your dinner.

Yes, I'll give you candy after you finish your lunch.
No, you cannot have candy. Finish your lunch first!

And more recently -

Yes, we will think about getting you a laptop when you are a little older.
No, you cannot get a laptop until you are a little older.

And,

Yes, an iPod sounds fun, but we'll think about it.
You can't have an iPod for Christmas. We'll have to think about it first.

I don't know about you, but if these sentences were spoken to me, I would defintiely be more receptive to the first sentence each time. In the last two examples, there might be follow-up questions as to what the exact timing for the "think" will be. In that case I wouldn't be vague or untruthful. I would just say I don't know the exact age when that would be allowed but we will definitely revisit the issue in future.

Now there are certain occasions when you just cannot cloak a 'no' in any way, shape or form. A 'no' has to be said and there is no other way around it. I say, go ahead and say it. I never said one should NEVER say 'no'. A child should understand 'no'. But they don't have to hear that frickin' word 138 times a day!

With S, I reserved "NO" for special occasions. When it was absolutley necessary that my "NO" be heard and paid attention to. For I believe that overuse of a thing may make it seem unimportant.

S has always been a manageable child. It is not that I never had to say 'no' to her, but whenever I said it she did listen. Or I made her listen. I remember this incident and I just recounted it to S a few days ago. She was about a year old. We had baby-proofed our apartment adequately but I still kept a watchful eye on her at all times because really, you haven't seen "overactive imagination" until you have seen mine in play, running through thousands of what-if worst case scenarios at any given moment. One day, S managed to pull out the cover of an electrical outlet. She then called me over, gave me a naughty smile and proceeded to insert her finger in one of the holes. I yelled "NO!", gave her a slap and yanked her away from there in a matter of seconds. She never did that again.

I have a few friends who yell 'no' so many times at their kids that frankly, if I were their kid, I would have stopped listening to them a long time ago too. And one funny thing is - the parents who yell "NO" the loudest (barring those who are yelling in panic or in an emergency situation) are the ones who just sit on their asses and yell 'no' to stop a kid who is running wild around the room. It is hard work, but walking (or running - as the case may be) up to your kid, holding his/her hand and firmly, but quietly saying 'no' works better than yelling it from across the room. And it helps if you can back up your 'no' with a valid reason or explanation. Though you have to understand that this approach isn't going to work wonders within minutes. It takes time. And effort.

We were just recently visited by a friend who has a 20 month old son who is used to getting what he wants and when he wants it. We spent the whole day listening to a whiny, crying, screaming toddler. This was the pattern that repeated itself the whole day -

Toddler sees laptop.
Toddler wants to play with laptop.
Toddler hears 'no'.
Toddler starts whining.
Toddler then starts clawing at the said laptop.
The laptop is put away high on the dining table.
Toddler goes up to the dining table and starts crying for the laptop.
Mom goes up to the toddler and says 'no'.
Toddlre starts screaming and stomping his foot.

Now replace the word "laptop" with phone, remote (3 different ones), cellphone (3 different ones), hot tea, car keys (2 sets) and a heavy glass candle holder. (I think I have forgotten a couple more items but that's OK - you get the picture). Repeat the scene for each item with the volume one note higher each time and you can imagine our frayed, insane selves clawing at our ears to make the noise stop. I mean, this kid just does not know the meaning of 'no'. And I don't blame him. It is his parents' job to make him understand. His father proudly proclaimed that at home he gets what he wants ( जो चाहिऐ वो लेकर ही दम लेता है - he stops only after he gets what he wants) We were informed that he created a similar scene for his uncle's phone and his uncle HAD to give up the phone to make him stop crying. I don't know if I'd be proud of something like this but I have seen plenty of parents (even in our own family) who are.

On the other hand, we were visited by a 2 year old and his parents when I was almost full-term pregnant. He wanted to play with the shiny rocks that I had in a candle holder on a table. His parents let him take out 2 rocks, helped him play with them to make sure he didn't break the glass-top table and made him put them back in the candle holder before they left. Now THAT is the kind of parenting that teaches kids their limits, I believe.

I don't care if kids break something while visiting us. I always say - things are meant to be broken and I don't fret about something that I can easily replace. If I own something that I know I can't easily replace, I keep it out of reach of children when they visit us. But I don't believe phones, cellphones, keys and laptops are to be used as toys. S didn't get to play with them. M doesn't get to play with them either. The TV remotes attract her so I am thinking of cleaning up an old remote, that we don't use any more, and giving it to her so she can play with it. But she is NOT getting her grubby little hands on the real remote! She loves to claw on my laptop but I don't let her touch it. The day she throws a tantrum for it, I will keep it firmly out of her reach and demostrate that this is something she is NOT getting.

As a parent it is my job to make my kid understand that a 'no' means no. At the same time, I should also be mindful of the fact that if I were to hear 'no' every time I tried to do something fun (in my opinion) it would irritate me no end. So, I have to find ways of keeping 'no' to a minimum. Or be really good at distracting my kid. And be firm. I can't say enough about the importance of firmness. In peaches and in parenting.

Tania said...

CK

The scenarios that you mention in your YEs context are all "Yes we will do this IF you finish the other" And the big thing here is IF that you are rewarding the child for the regular tasks that he/she needs to do. About getting toys or electronics(it depends on if it is really needed or is it a big no no for his/her age).My daughter talks about getting for us a bigger car since all her friends come in bigger cars.What do you say then?I explain that we are replacing the biggercar with something like a IVY league tuition. And then how do you handle other scenarios where "I need that becuase someone else has it".We get her new things every year and we also make it a point that if she has not played with something for a year/ we donate it.

When she was an infant,I was told to let her explore until situations that are dangerous(the plug point for example)But what do you do with a child that puts a sandwich inside a VCR? And someone who wants a cellphone at 6?

We had a debate about this in a forum that I visit and IMHO saying No is OK if you have explained the reason and not because you are the parent.

My reply...

Tania: Thanks for airing this POV! I totally had forgotten to cover this in the post. As I said, it has been so long since I needed to apply all these strategies (now they are firmly in place and a way of life with us) that I have forgotten most of what I did.

First of all - I DON'T believe in rewarding a child for something they should be doing anyway like eating their food or helping around the house. I don't believe in "paying" kids to get them to help around the house. Maybe a little motivation but NO material rewards. I have a coupon book and I hand out some coupons (e.g. coupons for a BIG BEAR HUG, DINNER OF YOUR CHOICE, PICK THE MOVIE FOR MOVIE NIGHT, AN HOUR PAST BEDTIME etc.) to S every now and then for random reasons.

Yes, all the scenarios came out as if I reward good behavior with material rewards. I should have taken my time to think of other examples too. My idea was to show how I helped my daughter develop patience and how I didn't cater to the "right-now" urge that every child has.

Toys/electronics/"things" - We usually buy her big ticket items only twice a year. Once on her birthday, and on Christmas. At all other times, she has to "earn" them. E.g. she can buy a book or a board game when she clears a level in KUMON. And when we do buy her new toys/items (even on birthdays and Christmas), we donate a random number (3,5,8,10 - whatever mommy dearest thinks is an appropriate number for that time) of toys to charity. Or we at least put them away for the baby.

We never catered to "I need that because someone else has it" argument from S and she knows she cannot use it with us. And we lead by example on this one - there are a lot of things many of our friends have that we would love to have - including a bigger, fancier car - but don't buy because we don't need them. Almost all of S' friends have been to Disney world, while we haven't. She has brought it up a few times and we have told her we will go when we can afford to spend the time and money. Same goes for rules - she understands from an early age that her friends may have different rules at their homes and while she may not be allowed to do certain things, her friends may be, and vice versa.

In regards with exploring, I agree with you. Allow them to explore as long as they are not doing something dangerous. As for the sandwich example, I would say make the child sit in one place and eat her meal? S was ALWAYS put in a high chair at meal times - and later always sat at the dining table - and was not allowed to roam around while eating. I always treated mealtime as a time when she needs to focus on eating and not as something she could do while playing. But that is material for another post that deals with developing good eating habits because, in my mind, I would have said No long before my child put the sandwich in the VCR. I would have said No when she tried to walk around with her food. (I did - S has tried doing all those things that any normal, boisterous child would do)

She did ask us for a laptop and an iPod this year (similar to a 6 year old wanting a cell phone, I think) and I said no. Explained my reasons to her too. I never said parents should never say no. Distracting, cloaking No with a Yes, saying No with explanations for the reason behind it and sometimes just saying No (yes there ARE a few such times in every parent's life, I believe) all go together as a SET of strategies. None of them is sufficient by its lonesome self. You have to use different strategies at different times for different kids.

Whew!! What a long comment! Please do let me know if you manage to get through it without falling asleep :D And thanks for bringing these points up.

34 comments:

  1. That was good and so true. Exactly what was frustrating me. Because I was not able to explain to this child why not. The concept of tomorrow, later, after you do this does not exist in his dictionary. Everything is immediate and now. But I do try some things--the sitting down, the bodily lifting him away from trouble scenes, the warning, the sugar coating of the no, (by the 100th time in the day, my patience wears thin though). But yes, hearing no so often doesnt really do anything for a child's sense of discipline and I do understand that. The change has to come from within me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiran, I really do understand. If anything, this part was not at all for you or parents like you who do try their best. I sometimes just get frustrated when non-parents lament how their kids just don't listen to them. As for the concept of "later" or "not right now" - it does take some time to develop. Now that S is 9 years old, I am very hazy on the timeline and think maybe she did start undersanding it later rather than sooner.

    One thing that did help me build a concept of time for S was timers and alarms. If I wanted her to wait for something and she was really impatient, I would set a timer for her (if it was due in half hour or 40 minutes or so). I noticed that she would argue with me but never argued with the timer. And probably it also made the wait easier. Again, I am only telling you my experience and am not saying it should work for you too. I know all kids are different and I am sure whatever worked for S won't, in all probability, work for M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you - on every point. i'm so done with parents who are comfortable in their armchairs yelling an occasional 'no' to their child. not enforcing the word will definitely blank it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a lot of sense, Cee Kay. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make a lot of sense, Cee Kay. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree... Saying no should be reserved for non-negotiable, emergency situations... Although cloaking a no in a yes means there will be more whining, negotiating.. but its all worth it..IMO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant. Such a sensible way of dealing with children. Great post, CeeKay:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow
    totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had typed a long comment and then walked away to do something of course, my 15 month baby hit something and it got erased! Arggh.

    Anyways, I wanted to say to explain time to my 3 and 5 yr kids, I use events. When it gets dark, when didi gets home from school, when daddy gets hom from work, whens it your birthday, didi's birthday, neil's and samars, after that comes Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nicely said CeeKay. I agree for the most part.

    But aren't you sending mixed signals when you let M play with an old remote control. Wouldn't she take it for granted that it is ok to play with the remote? I mean what does a 12months 15months 18 months old know?

    ~AP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your style is totally grounded in common sense. Ever considered authoring a parenting book?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mona: "Armchair parenting"! Wow, you just coined a new term :D Or maybe we should call them "Couch Parents"?

    Y: Well, then it has to be one of those rare moments when I have been known to make sense :P Calls for a celebration :P

    Gauri: I feel so many "parallels" in our parenting styles when I read your blog! Even though I don't write a lot of the issues you write about (just out of laziness) I go "Yeah, me too!" when I read some of your posts :)

    Dipali: Coming from you, I feel honored to receive this compliment!

    Hiba's mom: I KNOW, right? And that is what amazes me - so many non-parents just don't get this! [For the record, I am NOT talking about parents who make sincere efforts but fail - at least they MADE the effort.]

    Dotmom: Yes, whining and negotiating is OK and can be dealt with separately too. By the way, i read about and actually successfully used a hilarious way of dealing with whining last year :)

    Sraikh: Yes, yes, yes!! It has been so long since S was that age (or it certainly feels like that to me :P) that I forgot I used to do that too. Give her "deadlines" she could understand without having to look at the clock.

    AP: I agree it could send her mixed signals but then that is what making her understand acceptable and non-acceptable activites would entail. I did it with S, and it was hard work but she understood eventually. I don't think this should be an "all or none" rule - that she should be allowed to play with all the remotes (for example) or none at all. She will, over time and with effort, understand that she is allowed to play with certain things and not allowed with others. I have seen that kids don't like the toy-version of these things and that is why i am thinking of giving her a real one. I did the same with cell phone for S - gave her an old cell phone of ours that we weren't using any more and she happily left our cellphones alone.

    Choxbox: Believe it or not, I was thinking along the same lines this morning - why I CAN'T write a book on this topic. That is because I get so taken up with all possible scenarios, and not excluding someone, not hurting someone else's feelings, and not being able to say "THIS IS THE ULTIMATE TRUTH AND IT WILL WORK FOR YOU LIKE IT DID FOR ME" (because you really cannot say that - parenting doesn't work that way). I would get lost in all the if-then-else scenarios that would pop up in my mind. That said - I DO want to write a book but I don't know what it will be about yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay! it is nice to see my day-to-day strategy with 'No' get a stamp of approval from an experienced mom :) I do precisely all you say, and it does work - except, he's caught on, and puts his foot down that he wants it "now"! and I'm thinking I should rethink my no-spanking policy ;)

    ps: who are NON-parents?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agree. Your examples of how to disguise a 'NO' were very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i can see your point cee kay. i was once asked to run workshops on parenting! the person who asked me to was completely convinced it would be a hit and was willing to do the marketing and venue arrangements - all i had to do was land up and run said workshop. i declined saying exactly what you say. plus i feel i havent mastered it all yet so who am i to give gyan.

    on second thoughts, while i agree that there is no one size fits all in parenting i think there are some basic things which always work. often these things also need to be pointed out. i just think you have a lot of clarity and conviction and hence it would make sense coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ditto your thoughts too!! What a sensible post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. CK
    The scenarios that you mention in your YEs context are all "Yes we will do this IF you finish the other" And the big thing here is IF that you are rewarding the child for the regular tasks that he/she needs to do. About getting toys or electronics(it depends on if it is really needed or is it a big no no for his/her age).My daughter talks about getting for us a bigger car since all her friends come in bigger cars.What do you say then?I explain that we are replacing the biggercar with something like a IVY league tuition. And then how do you handle other scenarios where "I need that becuase someone else has it".We get her new things every year and we also make it a point that if she has not played with something for a year/ we donate it.
    When she was an infant,I was told to let her explore until situations that are dangerous(the plug point for example)But what do you do with a child that puts a sandwich inside a VCR? And someone who wants a cellphone at 6?
    We had a debate about this in a forum that I visit and IMHO saying No is OK if you have explained the reason and not because you are the parent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tania: Thanks for airing this POV! I totally had forgotten to cover this in the post. As I said, it has been so long since I needed to apply all these strategies (now they are firmly in place and a way of life with us) that I have forgotten most of what I did.

    First of all - I DON'T believe in rewarding a child for something they should be doing anyway like eating their food or helping around the house. I don't believe in "paying" kids to get them to help around the house. Maybe a little motivation but NO material rewards. I have a coupon book and I hand out some coupons (e.g. coupons for a BIG BEAR HUG, DINNER OF YOUR CHOICE, PICK THE MOVIE FOR MOVIE NIGHT, AN HOUR PAST BEDTIME etc.) to S every now and then for random reasons.

    Yes, all the scenarios came out as if I reward good behavior with material rewards. I should have taken my time to think of other examples too. My idea was to show how I helped my daughter develop patience and how I didn't cater to the "right-now" urge that every child has.

    Toys/electronics/"things" - We usually buy her big ticket items only twice a year. Once on her birthday, and on Christmas. At all other times, she has to "earn" them. E.g. she can buy a book or a board game when she clears a level in KUMON. And when we do buy her new toys/items (even on birthdays and Christmas), we donate a random number (3,5,8,10 - whatever mommy dearest thinks is an appropriate number for that time) of toys to charity. Or we at least put them away for the baby.

    We never catered to "I need that because someone else has it" argument from S and she knows she cannot use it with us. And we lead by example on this one - there are a lot of things many of our friends have that we would love to have - including a bigger, fancier car - but don't buy because we don't need them. Almost all of S' friends have been to Disney world, while we haven't. She has brought it up a few times and we have told her we will go when we can afford to spend the time and money. Same goes for rules - she understands from an early age that her friends may have different rules at their homes and while she may not be allowed to do certain things, her friends may be, and vice versa.

    In regards with exploring, I agree with you. Allow them to explore as long as they are not doing something dangerous. As for the sandwich example, I would say make the child sit in one place and eat her meal? S was ALWAYS put in a high chair at meal times - and later always sat at the dining table - and was not allowed to roam around while eating. I always treated mealtime as a time when she needs to focus on eating and not as something she could do while playing. But that is material for another post that deals with developing good eating habits because, in my mind, I would have said No long before my child put the sandwich in the VCR. I would have said No when she tried to walk around with her food. (I did - S has tried doing all those things that any normal, boisterous child would do)

    She did ask us for a laptop and an iPod this year (similar to a 6 year old wanting a cell phone, I think) and I said no. Explained my reasons to her too. I never said parents should never say no. Distracting, cloaking No with a Yes, saying No with explanations for the reason behind it and sometimes just saying No (yes there ARE a few such times in every parent's life, I believe) all go together as a SET of strategies. None of them is sufficient by its lonesome self. You have to use different strategies at different times for different kids.

    Whew!! What a long comment! Please do let me know if you manage to get through it without falling asleep :D And thanks for bringing these points up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kodi's mom: "Re-thinking your no-spanking policy"? LOL!

    "NON-parents" is what I call those parents who don't put in ANY efforts or thought into disciplining/raising their kids. I think I should have used the term "Pseudo-parents" as non-parents is more apt (and normally used term) for people who are not parents.

    2BM, Asha, Neera: Thanks!

    Choxbox: Parenting workshop?? WOW!! If only I knew someone who had so much confidence in my parenting capabilities :) I understand your point regarding the need to point out some basic things, but I don't feel qualified or experienced enough. Not yet. And hey! Thanks for the "clarity and conviction" part! To tell you the truth, I was expecting a lot of brickbats for this post - goes to tell you just how confident I am :P

    GDS: Thanks for the tag. Will take it up soon. Am actually browsing through the archives to find appropriate posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! Have been trying to figure out how to get away from saying "no" to Raina gazillion times a day. Especially these days when patience is at a low ebb. Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey CK,
    When I read your comment, it was like something that I myself would have written.About the sandwich in the VCR scenario,one of my coworkers jokingly asked when she was 2 :).Same thing about eating at our place too. We try our best to have dinners sitting together and that helps in finding out what is going on in each other's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post spoke to me in so many levels, CK. I think I need to do a post otherwise it would be a long comment. I have been using the same strategies with Ashu although it just came naturally to me. But Ashu made it easier for me so far as she has been an easy child. She knows that when I say "NO", its really a No as I dont use it much. But since shes only 2 1/2, the Nos have been few so far and also only to stop her doing something which can get her hurt. The real test will start when she asks for things, I guess. Sigh! It does nt get easier, does it?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tania: You came back!! I was afraid I scared you away with that epic-like comment :D

    We try to have dinner together too. And lunch on weekends. And the colleague who asked about sandwich in VCR? Does he/she have a child who is, MAYBE, "discipline-challenged"? :P

    Boo: Please do write a post. I would love to read your views. As for Ashu making it easier for you - apart from the fact that she IS such a sweet child - I think it also goes the other way. Children listen to their parens only if they know the parents mean business. I have seen parents saying No a couple of times and then giving up so next time the child knows just how long to hold out until he/she gets his/her wish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amuser: I read your post on this matter, and one thing popped into my mind. At least you are aware of the situation. That means you WILL work it out, sooner or later. I have seen parents (even grandparents) who don't even realize they're doing this.

    Kiran: Thanks! Will do soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. CK .. very interesting post.. I have a 3 yr old and I try not to be negative as far as possible.. but there are times when you do have to say No.. as a means of disciplining. As for buying things, even at this young age I am very careful not to make any promises. But then I have set limits. He knows he cannot touch the remote or the phone.. Now that he is 3 and wiser (??) I let him switch off the TV or when I have called somebody, take the phone in his hands and talk to them. But like you say we need to remember to enforce these limits with a lot of positivity... thats the only way children understand !! Negativity only lures them to be rebellious...
    You have a very interesting blog here.. linking you

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I so agree with everything you have written and in my dreamworld of motherhood, I would love to be able to talk to Ayaan like that. But how do you cloak 'no' when reacting to regular instances of throwing stuff off the balcony, hitting me or Jai, banging doors... you get my point?!

    But in the context of his requests to me, I do try to follow your policy. I find that a straight no will often lead to a meltdown but a calm explanation - even if he may not understand all of it - will somehow make a lot more sense to him. Distraction works too, though less well with every passing day that he grows smarter and more stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Preethi: Thanks for dropping by ans for linking me. I did all that you are currently doing and sometimes I feel as if I have made my daughter too "sweet" for her own good. And also that because of the restrictions she isn't as boisterous as other kids her age are - which is a blessing really, but I wonder if I suppressed her nature. Her teachers EVERY YEAR (yes, I bring it up every year :P) assure me that it is her nature and has nothing to do with excessive discipline, but a mother always wonders, right? It is an eternal battle that I fight within my mind and I guess it only makes me a better parent in that it makes me re-evaluate my parenting style often.

    Rohini: As I said - you can't always cloak a No. Children do need to hear it every now and then.

    As for some of the behaviour you mentioned - hitting, banging doors, throwing stuff off the balcony - yes a No is indeed in order. But maybe it should also be accompanied by some other measure. You are such a hands-on parnt that I am sure you are trying other things too. My nephew (he is 13 now) used to do the same things. For hitting - we would just hold his hand, look him in the yee and say "NO" calmly and firmly if he started to hit us. Had to repeat it like 10,000 times but he finally got the message. He used to throw stuuf off from the terrace as well - or threaten to when he found out it really bothered us. So one day J took one of his favorite cars from his hands (which he was threating to throw down from the 5th floor), pretended to throw it and didn't give it back to him. That really cured him of the throwing habit :P I mean attaching some relevant tangible consequences (you throw a thing, you don't get it back - EVER) to actions may get better results. Of course, I am not trying to preach to you - I know you must be trying everything possible yourself. I am just sharing what worked for us.

    I am a mean parent that way. I believe that if kids misbehave repeatedly and intentionally (that being the key word), hit them where it hurts (not literally, but you know what I mean). Discuss consequences with them when they are in a listening mood and later implement those consequences. Like, for certain "grave" misbehaviors, we would give our daughter's favorite soft toy a timeout the duration of which would vary, depending upon the offence, from a few hours to a whole week. That worked better on her than if we gave HER a timeout. We still take away the privileges that she values the most when the need arises.

    Whoo, what a long response. Rohini? Ro?? Well, get back to me when you wake up :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow!! I am liking the comments and ur responses to this one as much as, may be even more :) than the original post and it keeps bringing me back here. Hitting where it hurts, I do that too but at times feel like I am being so mean. Just today Vansh was being super cheeky about eating his b'fast, as a result I canceled a planned trip to the library AND refused to give him anything to eat before lunch time. Guilt and a whiny kid is what I got for 3 straight hours. I did play with him though. Just how long does it take for them to get the point?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey the last one was me! Wonder why it says anonymous there??

    Neera

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Ceekay,

    Am with you on the No issue - it really hurts when I hear Puddi's first words - "Chubbocks, No!" I do try to not say No to the kids and either explain things, especially to Chubbocks, or to distract Puddi away from whatever she's doing unless it's something destructive to herself, e.g. putting finger into socket, trying to climb on the balcony rail.

    But what i hate most is parents like you described who almost delight in their kids' bad behaviour!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?