Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Playing Agony Aunt

A friend at work called me to complain about how a task, that used to belong to another colleague ABC, is being assigned to her consistently now. Here is how the conversation went:

Friend: I just wanted to vent. Why to I have to do ABC's job in addition to mine?

Me: Well, what prompted them to assign that task to you at first?

Friend: It happened when ABC made a mistake in carrying out this task and had already left for the day so I was called to help rectify it. You know I ALWAYS send out proper notifications and appropriate phone numbers in case they need further help once I am done with the task. So they like my work, I suppose.

Me: Well, here's an analogy. Suppose I cook a delicious meal for my family one day. What will happen then?

Friend: What?


Me: My family will expect a delicious meal every day for the rest of my life!

Friend: Well, I want this to stop. What should I do?

Me: Stop cooking delicious meals.

Yup - we are wacky like this, my friend and I! Our conversations are wackier.

3 comments:

  1. Workplace law - The reliable ones will always get saddled with extra work to pick up the slack for shoddy work done by others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think V operates on the same principle. With me at least he does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop cooking delicious meals!!! gotta love this piece of advise.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?