Monday, January 28, 2008

This one is for my not-so-little-anymore brother

It is his birthday today. And I have been missing him, and the growing-up-together we did, very poignantly lately. He used to be my best bud. Still is. Only now he shares that title with my husband. But he is one of the ONLY TWO people I can tell everything to. He is non-judgmental, mature (more than MY 37 year old self) and the kindest, gentlest person I have ever known. Oh, and did I forget sooper intelligent? Yes! He is an aeronautical engineer, did his B.Tech from IIT Mumbai, topped his department and won the President's Silver Medal for that. I was actually pissed that he didn't get the gold medal. At the President. My brother absolutely deserved it. TOI ran an article on him when he graduated because he was one of those few graduates who wanted to stay back in India and do something for his country. He plays tennis and runs in Mumbai half marathon. This, despite having a serious back problem. He injured his back during the last semester in college and didn't pay attention to it because he was busy with studies. He was bed-ridden for over two months and has consulted many doctors. He still plays and treks and runs. Seriously, I do not know anyone braver and tougher than he is. In short, he is everything I am not.

Once, when we were still in college, an acquaintence mentioned how I must be jealous of him because he had just gotten into IIT. I couldn't understand that. I was, and still am, proud of him. Jealousy doesn't figure in our relationship. We don't do sibling rivalry either.

There are so many memories that came flooding back with this post. But I am not going to write all of those. They are for me and him to cherish personally. I just wish we could get together for a week and chat endlessly about everything under the sun - just like old days when I used to take a few days off from work whenever he was in town, so we could stay up late at night and chat. Or maybe I will write a post about those memories - just to record those golden days. For now, little brother, just know that I love you and miss you. And I wish you ALL that you ever wanted - on this birthday and forever.

9 comments:

  1. Man, I am a little embarassed. I was not second in the whole institute -- that would have been something. I was the first in my department. Maybe you should correct that. :)

    Yes, sometimes memories come rushing back by reading a few lines. Thanks a lot for that...

    Love you.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's really sweet.....made me think of my younger brother!!!

    happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey ceekay, your brother sounds brilliant and warm and sweet. here's hoping he has a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaw. And that's not for the achievements bit (although those are great too)....its for the 'kindest, gentlest person' bit. That is indeed what you want in a sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. S: Corrected! But standing first in your department is STILL SOMETHING. BIG SIS says so :)

    Chandni, Mona: Thanks.

    Unamana: Thanks. Yes we ARE!

    30in2005: Yes indeed! Unfortunately, he missed out on having a sibling who had those qualities :P Life ain't fair, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bro seems wonderful and the relation you have seems even more special. The girl who asked the J question - i do think that too, that it must be very hard for especially same gender sibligns, esp when one is successful and the other is not - for the outsiders. For the insiders - we are just happy for our siblings

    ReplyDelete
  8. bhai bahab ka yah pyaar hamesha aisa hee bana rahe isake alawa parents aur kya kaamana kar sakate hain.
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  9. TAAMommy: Yes, and sometimes outsiders fail to see that. And I believe some of them think we are jealous because they have that kind of relationship with their siblings where one is jealous of other's accomplishments. And in that, I believe, parents have a big role to play. My parents never compared the two of us to say that one was better than the other. And because of that we both understand that while the other one has accomplished some really great things, we ourselves are not worthless.

    Pa: Thanks! And we have you and Ma to thank for raising us such that there never was any sibling rivalry!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?