In the new year, I tried something new. Nothing sensational, just something I hadn't tried before. Something I never thought I'd try. I borrowed a Book on CD from our local library and listened to it on my half hour twice daily commute to and from work. The book I listened to was "Memoirs of a Geisha".
I did like the storyline and everyday looked forward to the next opportunity that I could listen to those CDs. I even began to carry the whole case to my office every day so I could listen to them while at work. I stuck to my rule of never bringing the CDs home because I knew then I'd be a total mess ignoring all household work, listening to the CDs. The material was such that I couldn't listen to the CDs with my daughter around. So car and office it was.
It was a BIG change from reading. Though I liked the story, I still haven't made up my mind regarding the medium itself. I love reading. It is the act of reading that I sometimes love more than the book or the story itself. Poring over each word, picturing each scene in my mind, imagining how the characters look, how a particular scene played out, even going back to check and recheck the spellings of some words - particularly names that I stumble upon for the first time. Yes, that is one of my quirks (reminds me - I have a pending tag for that!) - I HAVE to know the correct spelling of each and every place and character's name. And this proved to be problematic while listening to the book on CD. Was it "Kyoto" or "Kioto"? Was it "Sayori" or "Sayuri"? Small details like that. I did manage to find out when I Googled the title of the book and landed on its entry in Wikipedia. And only then did I find peace :P
Overall, I feel I would have enjoyed the story more if I had read the book. But as I don't have time even to read the comics section in the daily newspaper, this was the best I could do to catch up on my "reading". I am reserving comment on whether I like Books on CDs/Tapes or not until I try it once more. Maybe it was the story itself that was not very conducive to listening vs. reading. So, I have put another book on tape on hold in the local library. Now if only I could find the time to go and pick it up.
yeah, that would definitely bother me too - not knowing the spelling of new words. you know i haven't got around to reading this one yet, either.
ReplyDelete:/
i should, though, huh?
Interesting. I have never tried it because I just can't ber not to read - and I have time a-plenty just before I sleep and while I commute on the tube to/from work!
ReplyDeleteAlways good to try something new - you never know till you try right?
I can't bring myself to try it yet - only because I'd miss the image each word, as I read it, forms in my brain - I wouldn't be able to do that while focusing on the rain, the traffic, the toll booths etc. Albeit it'd make my drive from LI to Rye a lot less painful :) I'm always inspired by you!
ReplyDelete-Shruti
I have tried books on tape before and on the whole I find the experience rather..ummm..unwholesome. I have seen the movie. It was pretty good.
ReplyDeleteI love books on tape. Its the next best thing to reading, and since you are doing this when you cant read, i say go for it. Especially the craft of the narrators is an art itself. It is a joy to experience books on tape. Go on, girl !!
ReplyDeleteInteresting ..its good u r trying it out. I always feel I'll not be able to concentrate on the story as my mind would wander elsewhere or be occupied with whatever else I am doing at that time.
ReplyDeleteOh no..that book is amazing..I have read it..I was so much engrossed in the sayuri san..character..
ReplyDeleteHappy to know that someone else liked it..
Aryan's mom
Its actually just like reading, you have read a whole page but have nothing registered on your mind. And interestingly enough, my mind begins to wander when the author rambles on and i perk up till the next interesting tidbit happens :) !!
ReplyDeleteNever tried an audio book. I'm not good with any kind of headphones, though, so I guess that would make it a bit tricky.
ReplyDeleteI was agreeing with you out loud while reading this, the kids thought I had lost my mind.
ReplyDeleteI love to read also for every single one of the reasons you mentioned. I would like to try a book on CD for the drive to work but I haven't because I am not sure if I would like someone reading it to me. But you have pushed me to at least try it, even if it is not great it still has to be better than the morning radio shows!! :-)
I've never tried a listen-to book mainly because I love reading, I can read anytime, anywhere...though ebooks I'm still comfy with.
ReplyDeleteAnd BTW, isn't it a great story? Do read the book, you'll love it.