Monday, December 31, 2007

We finally dared!

Originally posted on DesiMomzClub for the club's Theme for December.

In the 12 years that we have been married, J and I have NEVER gone out on New Year's Eve. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? We are more of homebodies than we would actually care to admit. At first we didn't go out because we were living with my husband's parents and they kind of frowned upon it. By the time we came to America, we had S and we didn't go out because we didn't want to disrupt her routine. Besides, we liked the coziness of our house compared to the chilly air outside. Now we have M too, so going out on New Year's eve is unthinkable. Or so one would assume.

Today, after I came back from work, it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't really want to be stuck at home eating leftovers for dinner. So I managed to convince J to take us out for dinner. Initially we planned to go to an Indian restaurant but cancelled the plans when we called them and were told that the restaurant was packed. Then we decided to go to Bertucci's - an Italian restaurant. We were still concerned about how M will behave as she was already tired and starting to get cranky. But this baby of ours is a social animal - we realized long time back.

So we just got ready quickly and left. M behaved really well for most of the time. She only started getting restless towards the end and we were ready to leave by then. I have found a trick to minimizing her tantrums when we go out. I DON'T feed her before leaving. Yes. That's right! And that is because she loves to eat. So I feed her when we get where we are going. That always works well and always gives us some time before she gets cranky.

All in all, we had a good time tonight. So this was our "Dare to" project this December - to give me fodder for this month's theme! I had a completely different post in mind but hadn't gotten around to writing it. Then, while returning from the restaurant, it hit me that this fits the theme better. So, now you know what we never did before today and dared to do today :D

11 comments:

  1. Nice one :D. Way to go, the Kays!

    Oh, the DON'T feed baby before going out tactic is new in my book, hehe. I really hope Baby M's love for eating continues :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have been married for 6 yrs and we haven't been out on a new year. we are too homebodies (I'm less of a home person than my husband) Yesterday we went to a Indian restaurant. this is the only place we go all the time - no matter what the occasion is. sun and moon has to be aligned for us to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you enjoying your adventurous evening out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done girl :) and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bertuccis :) So glad you guys did go out for dinner... I was telling BigGeek that we need to find a sitter, get rid of our guilts and have a date night once a bmonth. uninterrupted dinner and movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new Year CK! Glad you did it. This year hubby and I almost broke our 6 year old tradition of going out every new years eve ever since we've been together. But in the end we did go out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you ceekay. Unusually for us, this year when we saw the kids cuddling into their razais and us facing the chilling cold outside, we almost cancelled our plans, but persevered and I was glad we did. It feels good to celebrate the coming in of a new year with all its hopes and possibilities...
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you ceekay. Unusually for us, this year when we saw the kids cuddling into their razais and us facing the chilling cold outside, we almost cancelled our plans, but persevered and I was glad we did. It feels good to celebrate the coming in of a new year with all its hopes and possibilities...
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!! Happy New Year to all of you.

    DotMom: Leave the guilt at home, go out once a month and have fun. We try to do that at least when we have our parents here. S begs to come along sometime, but we explain toher that we need some alone time for ourselves. And to fend off the guilt, we try and take her out for lunch or dinner separately (not as a family, but just one parent and S) for some alone time with her.

    RJ: "sun and moon has to be aligned for us to venture out" LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?