Wednesday, December 05, 2007

There's always the "X"

Two posts I came across in the last two days have compelled me to write this post. One of them is thought provoking yet very irritating for the "better than thou" attitude it projects. The second one is the vile work of a coward and provokes outrage. The first post targets mommy bloggers and their "boring" blogs while the second one targets one of my favorite bloggers for her "failure" to maintain her kids' privacy. The second post goes too far - it also targets the innocent kids with its venom.

"Privacy" is the blue-eyed baby of the politically correct fanatics. A lot of hue and cry has been made about it. In some contexts, privacy is necessary. Like, for medical records and such. In some, optional. To talk about babies' and children's right to privacy in the context of their parents' blogs about them is ridiculous, in my opinion. Mine is not a mommy blog. It was never intended to be. But lately I have been recording more and more stuff about my daughters (and my family). My reasons are my own and I don't feel the need to cite them to justify my blogging habits. I started out with a lot of paranoia. I didn't post pictures of myself or my family, I wrote under a pseudonym, gave fictitious names to my husband and my daughters and never wrote about my work. I did this because I wasn't sure if I would ever write about my strained relations with my ILs or my work. If I decided to do so, I didn't want anyone to be able to Google my name and stumble upon those posts by mistake. I still don't post pictures of myself or my husband. I still don't write about my work. I still write under an assumed name. But I have started posting pictures of my daughters. I sometimes even contemplate going public with my name. I figure I am not going to post anything controversial about these two topics (ILs and work) so where is the need for secrecy? Besides, going public will have an added advantage that I can hand out my blog's URL to friends and family and they can keep abreast of whatever is going on in our lives.

Sowmya, author of the first blog, raises a lot of points in her post about why parents decide to maintain public blogs about their children and why it isn't such a good idea. She is sick and tired of reading about home remedies to cure eczema and constipation. She thinks parent bloggers are violating their children's rights to privacy by posting their pictures and writing about them. She wonders if these parents do so in hopes of getting their kids' mugs on a magazine's cover. In short, she doesn't understand why mommy bloggers (I wonder why she doesn't mention daddy bloggers - there ARE quite a few around) maintain these blogs. She contends that mommy bloggers have perhaps forgotten what the word "blog" means. [I wonder if she ever looked the word up in a dictionary] She wants every mommy blogger to go private. To stop blogging about their kids and just maintain a private journal for friends and family. She wants a legislature banning all parents from posting their children's pictures online. [I wonder why she targets only bloggers? Why not also rant about people who post their kids' videos on YouTube? YouTube is also very much public, open to all sorts of demented minds like she points out for the blogs]

The first question that comes to my mind is - "Does she have kids of her own"? From her blog I can't figure that out but one or two posts that I glanced through gave me an idea that probably she does. But I am not sure. Also some of the commenters have left comments that made me think "You wouldn't be so rigid in your opinions if you were a parent yourself". Because privacy isn't just achieved by not posting pictures. Pictures are the most trivial part of it. If you don't have any names or any other details to associate with the picture, the picture is nothing but a nameless face. Granted, any pedophile can look at a picture of a kid and jerk off, but he/she can do that to any picture anyway. Going by this argument, one should not allow kids to act in any commercials or pose for any advertisements. No kids should be allowed to act in movies and television serials either. You understand where this could lead to? Anyway. The thing that raised my hackles was the tone of the post - very condescending, very "holier than thou" kind, very judgmental. I may or may not agree with parents who post their kids' pictures online or write about their private lives, but I do understand one thing very clearly. They are doing so on their OWN blogs, they don't twist my arm to come read their blogs and if I accidentally stumble across their blogs and don't like what I read, I can always click on the "X" in the top right corner and end my misery right there. Don't even get me started on the unborn babies' rights to privacy that is mentioned in the post. There IS something as pushing things too far. I did like some other posts of hers but this post and the comments left by some commenters on this post have irritated me beyond words and left a bad taste in my mouth.

The second post, by far the vilest I have ever come across, made my blood boil. This blogger has written some similar posts about other bloggers and to me it seemed like he/she targets bloggers who are "successful" or well known. Could this be a case of the green-eyed monster? Whatever be the reasoning behind these posts, I simply cannot fathom how someone can be so immature? And spiteful. To write such derogatory and hurtful posts about other people - what kind of low-life-scumness does that require one to have?

I have written about this before - about understanding that people's blogs are their own, and if you don't like what they write about, just move on. Don't spit your venom criticizing other people just because they don't think like you or don't share your opinions. Disagree, but politely. Be civil. If you consider yourselves educated (which is obvious from the superior tone of these two blog authors' posts), behave like an educated person.

What do you think? I'd love to know.

Updated to add: Poppins' Mom has brought up another interesting, and very valid, argument. Most children are molested by immediate family members or close friends of the family. Doesn't that defeat the argument that all mommy-bloggers should take their content to a private space and invite only family and friends to view/read it FOR THE SAKE OF THEIR CHILDREN"S SAFETY AND PRIVACY?

Further update: On request of some fellow bloggers, I am removing the link to the posts. I didn't want to, but I have to respect this request as it is not only me whose identity has been revealed. I don't care about it personally because I don't write anything scandulous (yet) anyway but I do care about the others. I have to say one thing though - I could never imagine that some minds could hold so much hatred and venom.

Last Update, I promise!: A few other bloggers have posted their thoughts on this issue. The one that I liked the best is here.

25 comments:

  1. CeeKay - dont wrestle with pigs - you will just get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know how i feel about this. i started the baby journal as just that - a journal. it never occured to me to make it a private one.
    for a long time, i didn't put up pictures, and when i did, i'd take them down in a couple days at the most - now because i know most of my readers, i've just left them there.
    i'm comfortable with that. i don't see it as a violation of her privacy. and i wouldn't argue this point with anyone. it's each to his own.
    anyhoo, that's my 'two cents' on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. Why do you even bother?

    I guess I would draw the line at pictures myself - am a bit paranoid, might be more so where kids are concerned. But that's no reason to lash out at others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read the post on the-maanga. Frankly, no need to turn this into a slanging match. He's saying what he wants to on his blog, not on ours. He can puke all he wants to on his space - as long as ours stays clean. Simple. That's my life motto, at least. Do whatever, but stay decent on MY space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree- I do blog under an assumed name myself and would never consider putting up pictures, but that is no excuse for wanting everyone in the world to agree with me and act on it! To each her own..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I'd put up pictures, but other than that I agree with everything else you say. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people are sickos and should be ignored. The second post you mentioned was really disgusting, but not worth paying any attention to.
    As for the first, if she had been a little less in 'rant' mode, she may have gotten her point across more successfully.
    As you say, no one is compelled to read blogs that they do not approve of. Having a difference of opinion in a civilized fashion is fair enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with you, CeeKay. Some people just don't get different strokes for different folks, do they? This kind of 'judgement' on what others should and shouldn't do scares me -where does one draw the line? Tomorrow someone says they don't like my face and I should be allowed to show it out of doors. Day after someone passes legislation to say people should wear yellow stars on their clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone famous (don't remember who) once said, I may not agree with what you have to say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it anyway - or words to that effect. More people should subscribe to that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch! I wrote about this too today. I agree that the blogger was way out of line. Although I don't think you should link to the maanga idiot. Way too much publicity for that creature.

    I agree with you, ofcourse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. they do it to get cheap thrills Cee kay. Like MM says, don't waste your breath. and in anycase, looks like the first author has taken down the offensive post. I looked at other posts by s/he and they are all quite demented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said!

    The second blogger you mentioned seems to have removed the post because the link didn't lead to a post. Unfortunately, the first one did work - I am irritated. But it was so pointless to argue with that one-sided and stubborn view of the issue, I decided to just keep my nose out of the crap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sick man has removed the post..but i did get to see the post though in the morning...he should NEVER EVER HAVe children of his own...my god....i cant even imagine...

    but about the first post..i accept some of her points though...have had personal experience about the photos...and am still skeptical about posting online....still managed to muster up courage and post some....anyways...i feel it is our blogs...and we do what we want to do with it :)right ceekay>

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not worth boiling your blood over! The more attention we give them, the more acting up from them. Jealous bunch – that’s all they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading some of the points you brought out...like banning kids videos from u tube and commercials and magazines, which even feature cute bakes little things. Never looked at it from those POV's before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tharini - Commercials, magazines and movies are ok because the parents get truck loads of money. But how can we put our children at risk without getting a penny in return? Thats SO wrong! ;)

    Well written post, CK.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree. Everyone should live and let live.

    ReplyDelete
  18. CeeKay,

    Please remove the links to the offending posts. I just saw the comment section, a anonymous commenter is wreaking havoc with mom/baby identities. OMG, I just cannot believe it. Where is she getting all the information from?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read both the posts you linked up, the second was disgusting providing a link to the blogger that person was attacking. That's beyond my understanding.

    The first one had valid points and I think she can write in whatever way on her blog as long as she is wrting her own opinions/rants and not attacking a fellow blogger purposely.

    And as you said, if she didn't like reading about constipation and eczema then she can easily click 'x' on the top right corner ! But the comments section there is getting a bit out of hand.I was shocked after reading the last two posted by anonymous. I think she shouldn't have let those two comments publish cos it compromises these bloggers' very privacy that she had dedicated her whole post to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anitha...thanks for pointing this out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tagged

    Ignore this if you have already done it. Gosh! we do need some humor around here

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read the first post, the second one seems to have been removed. The first blogger might have had come credibility if she wasn't so venomous against those who blog about their kids. Posting pics of kids is a very personal decision and should be taken solely by the parents concerned. I fail to understand why some people are so judgemental and refuse to acknowledge any one else's point of view but their own. I agree with you...but some people will never respect different points of view...so it's futile to try and make them see reason.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thankfully the last anonymous comment (probably coming from a troll on Facebook) has been deleted in the first link.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The second comment is deleted which was really mean, but the first one is still there. Anyway, its too late cos a lot of people must have read it. That's why I thought, how could she publish it in the first place ? And if there was no comment moderation 'on', then she should have removed them the moment she saw it. Very unethical.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's a free world and people should be able to write what they want on their blogs. Nobody is forcing anybody to read it.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?