Friday, December 21, 2007

Merry Christmas to All

A friend forwarded this in an email today:

Dear Santa,

I've been a good mom all year. I've fed, cleaned and cuddled my children on demand, visited the doctor's office more than my doctor and sold sixty-two cases of candy bars to raise money to plant a shade tree on the school playground.

I was hoping you could spread my list out over several Christmas', since I had to write this letter with my son's red crayon, on the back of a receipt in the laundry room between cycles, and who knows when I'll find anymore free time in the next 18 years.

Here are my Christmas wishes:

I'd like a pair of legs that don't ache (in any color, except purple, which I already have) and arms that don't hurt or flap in the breeze, but are strong enough to pull my screaming child out of the candy aisle in the grocery store.

I'd also like a waist, since I lost mine somewhere in the seventh month of my last pregnancy.

If you're hauling big ticket items this year, I'd like fingerprint resistant windows and a radio that only plays adult music, a television that doesn't broadcast any programs containing talking animals, and a refrigerator with a secret compartment behind the crisper where I can hide to talk on the phone.

On the practical side, I could use a talking doll that says, "Yes, Mommy" to boost my parental confidence, along with two kids who don't fight and three pairs of jeans that will zip all the way up without the use of power tools.

I could also use a recording of Tibetan monks chanting "Don't eat in the living room" and "Take your hands off your brother", because my voice seems to be just out of my children's hearing range and can only be heard by the dog.

If it's too late to find any of these products, I'd settle for enough time to brush my teeth and comb my hair in the same morning, or the luxury of eating food warmer than room temperature without it being served in a Styrofoam container.

If you don't mind, I could also use a few Christmas miracles to brighten the holiday season. Would it be too much trouble to declare ketchup a vegetable? It will clear my conscience immensely. It would be helpful if you could coerce my children to help around the house without demanding payment as if they were the bosses of an organized crime family.

Well, Santa, the buzzer on the dryer is calling and my son saw my feet under the laundry room door. I think he wants his crayon back.

Have a safe trip and remember to leave your wet boots by the door and come in and dry off so you don't catch cold.

Help yourself to cookies on the table but don't eat too many or leave crumbs on the carpet.

Yours Always,
MOM...

P.S. One more thing... you can cancel all my requests if you can keep my children young enough to believe in Santa.

Well, I had the whole post all prepared in my mind in the morning but it so happens that it is almost midnight now and I am dead on my feet. Don't remember what else I wanted to write, and don't care. The baby's quasi-sick and needs to be taken to the doctor's office at 8 in the morning just so we can make sure she is OK. (She is, we'd just like to make sure).

So, a Merry Christmas to you all (if I don't post again before 25th). Oh, yes! The Christmas tree was finally set up last night and S and I will decorate it tomorrow morning. S has already packed our gifts in plastic bags and kept them under the tree. We, the lazy parents, still need to shop for hers. And here's my dilemma. She wants a laptop and an iPod Nano (not necessarily right now) but isn't she a little too young for those? Would love to know what you think. I don't want her listening to loud music using earbuds as research has proven that those cause the most damage to young people's hearing. And laptop? Well, we already have two desktops and she uses them. I already told her once that no kid in this house is getting a TV or a phone in their room. Should I add laptop to that list?

17 comments:

  1. I loved the letter!!! Esp the PS!!! Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family!!

    Oh and I've written soemthing that I'd really love you to comment on..please do if you have the time!

    SM

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - the letter is priceless!

    laptop - umm, i would most certainly add it the list. my logic is that you dont need it so why buy it, it just adds to the clutter after a while. agree that an ipod is harmful for their hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely letter. The fact that it began with aching legs *proves* a real, real mom wrote it! Not that you'd doubt it but..(Oh, my aching legs...)

    Why would you say no to a laptop? Other than the point choxbox made about clutter (I hate clutter) it's a useful, educational toy. Especially as they have several models to choose from depending upon what age your child is. It would most definitely be useful, I think. Besides, your laptops are 'yours', right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would add the laptop to the list too. The internet is a dangerous place and if she is going to be on it, better you have a PC in some area of the house where the family hangs out...

    Merry Christmas. Love the letter to Santa

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved your list in the open letter.Been there seen it and memories alone sustain me.They will be yours soon enough.let the children be It won't be the same when they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm I got my 5 yr old a Barbie lap top. I dont think I would be giving any child under the age of 16 a "real" lap top.
    OTOH, I bought my 8 yr old a Ds lite, a freaking $150 game. My dh is still pissed abt it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, loved loved the letter ! And I agree, on laptop and ipod bit. Merry Christmas to you all too. have a safe Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GDS (SM): Thanks. I did read your post and it is very thought provoking. I will reply with a post of my own on it but in the meanwhile I WILL leave a short comment on my thoughts on your post too.

    Choxbox: Yes, clutter is one of the reasons. Safety is another. Internet is a very dangerous place for young, pre-teen and teen, impressionable minds and I don't want her using a laptop in her own room. I'd rather she uses the desktops that are in the family room/office.

    Mummyjaan: Thanks for the input. I does help to get different opinions. Yours helped me think deeply about mine and I think I still believe what I initially did. Apart from the clutter factor, I am also worried about the internet safety issue. Plus there is the age-inappropriate material on the internet that a child could stumble upon. Agreed I can restrict her access to such sites by filters etc. and she could stumble upin them on the desktops too, but I'd be comfortable if she stumbled upon any such material in my presence so I could talk to her about its inappropriateness. Besides, I don't think we can consider a real laptop (that's what she wants!) a "toy" and a desktop can be as educational as a laptop since it will have the same access to educational material online. And J and I are those meanie parents who don't share our laptops and cell-phones with our kids :P So our laptops are ours anyway :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rohini: Exact thoughts regarding internet safety!

    Unmana: Thanks!

    HHGmom: True. My older one is only 9 and I already miss her toddler and early elementary school days! The list was forwarded to me by a friend and is not my own creation though :P

    Sraikh: Yes, S has many toy laptops (THREE at last count :P - but in our defense - ALL were gifted to her) but this time she was talking about a real one and I feel the exact way about it as you. She has Nintendo DS Lite too :D but we have restricted her time on it (and any other "media") to weekends, holidays and long road-trips only.

    2BM: Thanks for the wishes. The list was forwarded to me by a friend. Oh, I read your latest post and it brought such warmth to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, dear GTN, the thought that you were talking about a 'real' laptop never crossed my mind. I thought of those V-tech 'laptops' for children. Those are what I meant by 'educational', and I gave the advice accordingly! Anyway, hope your daughter loves whatever gift you get her for Christmas. Have a great time, all of you :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, GTN,

    Merry Christmas and hope thye baby's doing fine now. Loved the letter ( PS. how about adding to the list - 2 extra hours a day only for papa and mamma, when they can sleep in or...!)

    Re. the requests - laptop I'd veto - any activity, in this day and age, that's going to keep the kids closeted in their own rooms - nu-uh. In fact a friend of mine wrote a feature about it in Mint lounge sometime back, about keeping track of what your kids are up to. If I find it I'll post it up on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great thanks! Really looking forward to reading what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read this letter before and it gets me misty eyed everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. umm... i guess i will sound old fashioned by i too join the crowd against the laptop. for a couple of reasons: parental control of looking over her shoulder while she surfs, there is no need since there are not one but two desktops in the house... this goes hand in hand about teaching her value of the money and not getting drawn to the peer pressure of owning an expensive item/toy such as laptop.

    ~AP

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want an ipod nano, but the student/pauper stranglehold on my spending makes me wonder if I should manipulate my parents into giving me a nano erm, for the new year. Not that I'm giving S any ideas, of course. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. The iPod is ok, I started out mini-me with the shuffle model and a $10 a month allowance for iTunes to see how she would do with it and she did great. I ended up getting a Nano as a gift a few months later and she would borrow it every now and then and always shared her new music with mom so I would be "cool". You can set the volume control on the Nano or you can buy different earbuds that automatically limit the sound volume. Mini-me is now the proud owner of an iPod Touch courtesy of my friend Anu who thought she could put it to good use on our upcoming trip. So spoiled, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?