Wednesday, August 01, 2007

If you cannot go to the gym...

...make the gym come to you!

We bought this over the weekend. A treadmill! We had been contemplating buying one since I got gestational diabetes and didn't buy one just because we were unwilling to spend all that money. But now it was becoming apparent that I needed desparate help in shedding those pounds that I accumulated during my IVF treatments and then during the pregnancy. Even now I am at a weight that I have never been at even at the peak of my last pregnancy. A whopping 181 pounds!! There. I said it. I am kind of ashamed of my weight right now, though I don't know why. It wasn't as if I could avoid gaining it. I gained only 20 pounds during my pregnancy, and my OB/GYN and edocrinologist were very happy with that fact (and it took a lot of effort to limit the weight gain to 20, believe me) But I gained over 20 pounds in the year before I conceived and while I should have adopted an exercise regimen (rather, maintained the one I had), it was next to impossible with so many balls in the air to juggle. A full-time job, IVF treatments, a new home, in-laws (and the accompanying stress :D) and a family to take care of. The biggest one was my commitment to my daughter's school PTO - I was her school's rep for the Norwalk PTO committee and had to attend monthly meetings. As a rep I also had to attend vendor fairs and other events organized by the committe, report back to the school's PTO about what was discussed at the PTO committee, was part of her school's Technology committee, took an active part in voicing school-parents' concerns in front of the Board of ed and the superintendent, and also voiced our concerns at the town's budget hearings because they were thinking of making cuts to the school board's budget. Some of these meetings ran till 10 or 11 and I had one meeting every week on an average (sometimes more). All this went on practically till the end of school year (June) which means that I was doing all this almost till the end of my pregnancy.

Anyhoo. So here we are now - at 181 lbs. At least 50 pounds to lose. An added incentive is the endocrinologist's warning. If I don't lose the weight, my chances of getting diabetes are 50%. If I do manage to lose even some of the weight, my chances go down to 5%. Simple, isn't it?! Not quite. For now, between the constant feeding, nursing and pumping sessions, not to mention other house chores, I have to fit in an exercise program. And blogging :D And I am going back to work in 4 weeks. Sssssssscary!

One glimmer of hope - the arrival of my parents on August 16th. I am eagerly waiting for them. Hopefully their arrival will give me and J the much needed respite from our grueling schedules. Not that we are planning to dump all work on them. But we will have them to take care of Baby M if, say, we have to mow the lawn or trim the bushes (yup! we have to do that too!), or do one of the 1000 other jobs around the house that lie ignored right now. I am also looking forward to leaving the kids with them one night and going out for a quiet movie and a dinner with J. Been a long time since we did that. Almost a year - the last time we did that was when J's parents were visiting us last year. One thing that I am looking forward to the most is spending some time with my parents. The last time they visited us, I had school 4 nights of the week in addition to my full-time job. This time too I considered signing up for a class since they will be here to help but decided against it. The class will have to wait even though it does have the potential of giving my career a much-needed boost. This time, I'll get about 15 days with them at home before I go to work and this time around I am much more disciplined and efficient so I am hoping we will get more time together on week-nights and weekends.

So, now the treadmill awaits me! I am looking forward to making its acquaintence tonight. Which means I have to get off my big fat butt RIGHT NOW and prepare dinner while Baby M is sleeping. Ciao!

14 comments:

  1. Well good luck on that, you can do it! Post some updates as you go along so we can cheer you from the sidelines.

    The key obviously is to not stop or make excuses but to use that treadmill everyday. Pop M into a baby sling and run with her, you can stay close to her and still get exercise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin's wife lost weight - slow and steady with her treadmill. I'm sure you will too.

    Happy exercising!
    gg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Cee Kay! The nursing should help shed some pounds too. Even if it takes some time, don't get discouraged. You're juggling a lot of balls in the air right now, so don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! And double wow. You stun me with your can-do-it-ness and the positivity you show despite this chockoful schedule. Have been reading your blog for ages now and the fact that you find time to blog in addition to everything you do boggles me crazy:-) Like my 3 year old, all I can give you is a big "thumbs up!".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Stick to your regime, whatever it takes.. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Stick to your regime, whatever it takes.. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loads of luck to you!!! It IS a big task to make time for exercise...esp where there are literally 100s of things you cud otherwise do...
    all the very best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our tradmill has been lying untouche for ages. But reading about ll the things that you do, i'm sure that you are not as lazy as I am and will make good use of it. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the very best with everything. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. why don't you get some help for household chores - like your lawn work or even weekly cleaning. BTW, I am also amazed at your can do attitude. I probably wouldn't think of taking classes (although would love to) or exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great deal to get a treadmill! I use the treadmill and the eliptical trainer at the gym. It helps to break it up into 10 minute increments...a 10 min warmup, 10 min cardio blast and 10 min cooldown. I've gotten to where I do a 20 min cardio (which for me is the eliptical trainer, but just jack up the speed and incline on the treadmill.) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cee Kay!Cee Kay! Cee Kay!Cee Kay!Cee Kay!Cee Kay!Cee Kay!Cee Kay!

    that's me cheering for you. You will do it. you're such a determined person, I can't imagine you not achieving something you set out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go fot it, Ceekay. That's one thing I have utterly failed at - I joined an expensive gym a year ago and the membership lapsed with me having graced the place a grand total of 15 times. Thanks to the lovely metabolism I inherited from my mom and the hectic life I lead, most of the baby weight is gone but I feel really unfit and a flight of stairs can leave me huffing and puffing... maybe I will get inspired by the example you set...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Cee Kay
    Do exercise regularly.All the Best!!
    and pls drop in some advice at this post of mine
    http://on-motherhood.blogspot.com/2007/08/right-time.html
    Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?