Mad Momma asked "Are you where you planned to be?" I've been thinking since. Not if I am where I planned to be. I know where I am. I've been thinking about doing this post ever since. When I first set up this blog, I chose my blogger ID "GettingThereNow" for certain reasons. And I planned on doing a post on why I chose it some time in the future. I think that time is now.
Well, I always knew I wanted to be financially independent and planned on getting a job as soon as I finished my Master's. Then when J and I decided to spend our lives together, he mentioned that his dad was dead against daughters in law working outside of home. Plan no. 1 crashed! I wasn't one to be held back so I decided if I couldn't just stay at home and I did want to marry J, then I could at least run my own business. J said that should be fine with his parents. (Well, he should have known better. :P)For two years after finishing my studies, I worked at a small coaching & software development institute because I figured I'd get experience in all aspects of running a business that way. And I did. When I got married and finally started my own coaching institute (even though I wanted to be in software development instead), everything was well in the beginning and I even got a lot of help from my MIL in balancing my work and home responsibilities. I guess my in-laws figured it was some temporary hobby of mine and once I tired of it, I would just go back to my "main" responsibilities i.e. house chores. When it became obvious that I took it seriously, MIL started to resent it even though I never neglected my duties towards the house and family. But stubborn that I am, I just persevered and kept going with my classes.
I had big plans for this business of mine. I also wanted to get into the field of software development and the time was right because many small businesses were beginning to realize that they needed to computerize their systems. I told J I wanted to develop software more than teach so he tried to find a project for us to work on and did find one. A school wanted him to develop a software for them to maintain all their student records. J asked me if I wanted to do it and I jumped at the opportunity. But you can't develop software out of thin air. You have to gather requirements and for that you need to sit down with the client to get an idea about what they need and want out of the project. "Not so fast!" said FIL. No DIL of mine will ever step out of the house to go to a client's site. Plan 2 crashed.
I swallowed the bitter frustration and put all my energy into my classes. Now I figured I'd get government accreditation for a few courses and move my business to a proper site - till now I was running the business out of my home. We had set up one hall for classes with computers for lab work. Even though I was running the classes out of home, I tried to keep it as professional as I could. That meant I finished all house chores before classes started and never went in during the classes. I wanted it to be more professional than just some housewife giving tuitions to a bunch of kids. And it was. I had batches running from 7:30 in the morning till 5:30 in the evening with just three 15 minute breaks. Each batch had at least 4 and maximum 8 students. Students were coming to me just by word of mouth. I never had to advertise. Then J got an offer from a company that trained people and sent them to the US on projects. So my plan for a government accredited institute flew out the window.
Then we planned to have a baby before leaving for the US. I must say that was the only thing that went according to plan in all those years after getting married. And I thank God for that! S came into our lives within a year. I wanted very little age difference between my kids. 2.5 years at the most. Because I figured that way they'd grow up as best buddies. Plan number 4 went off-track this time. After this I stopped counting.
Well, I always knew I wanted to be financially independent and planned on getting a job as soon as I finished my Master's. Then when J and I decided to spend our lives together, he mentioned that his dad was dead against daughters in law working outside of home. Plan no. 1 crashed! I wasn't one to be held back so I decided if I couldn't just stay at home and I did want to marry J, then I could at least run my own business. J said that should be fine with his parents. (Well, he should have known better. :P)For two years after finishing my studies, I worked at a small coaching & software development institute because I figured I'd get experience in all aspects of running a business that way. And I did. When I got married and finally started my own coaching institute (even though I wanted to be in software development instead), everything was well in the beginning and I even got a lot of help from my MIL in balancing my work and home responsibilities. I guess my in-laws figured it was some temporary hobby of mine and once I tired of it, I would just go back to my "main" responsibilities i.e. house chores. When it became obvious that I took it seriously, MIL started to resent it even though I never neglected my duties towards the house and family. But stubborn that I am, I just persevered and kept going with my classes.
I had big plans for this business of mine. I also wanted to get into the field of software development and the time was right because many small businesses were beginning to realize that they needed to computerize their systems. I told J I wanted to develop software more than teach so he tried to find a project for us to work on and did find one. A school wanted him to develop a software for them to maintain all their student records. J asked me if I wanted to do it and I jumped at the opportunity. But you can't develop software out of thin air. You have to gather requirements and for that you need to sit down with the client to get an idea about what they need and want out of the project. "Not so fast!" said FIL. No DIL of mine will ever step out of the house to go to a client's site. Plan 2 crashed.
I swallowed the bitter frustration and put all my energy into my classes. Now I figured I'd get government accreditation for a few courses and move my business to a proper site - till now I was running the business out of my home. We had set up one hall for classes with computers for lab work. Even though I was running the classes out of home, I tried to keep it as professional as I could. That meant I finished all house chores before classes started and never went in during the classes. I wanted it to be more professional than just some housewife giving tuitions to a bunch of kids. And it was. I had batches running from 7:30 in the morning till 5:30 in the evening with just three 15 minute breaks. Each batch had at least 4 and maximum 8 students. Students were coming to me just by word of mouth. I never had to advertise. Then J got an offer from a company that trained people and sent them to the US on projects. So my plan for a government accredited institute flew out the window.
Then we planned to have a baby before leaving for the US. I must say that was the only thing that went according to plan in all those years after getting married. And I thank God for that! S came into our lives within a year. I wanted very little age difference between my kids. 2.5 years at the most. Because I figured that way they'd grow up as best buddies. Plan number 4 went off-track this time. After this I stopped counting.
I was so depressed after having S that initially I put off the planning for second baby myself. I still think that was a smart decision. When S was about 3.5 years old, I decided I was well enough to try for another baby so we started trying. Nothing. 4 long years of nothing. That is another part of my life that I have already discussed in my earlier posts.
When S was a year old, I decided it was time for me to go back to work. That is how I and J had planned it - I'd stay at home for a year and then go back to work. I found a company that agreed to sponsor my H1B visa. Sent them all my papers in January of 2000. I kept following up with my account manager and he kept reassuring me that everything was going smoothly. Then, in April I called him to ask the status of my visa application and he informed that he had "forgotten" to file my application. That is one thing I still can't wrap my mind around - how can someone "forget" to do their job? Anyway, he filed my papers then and I finally got my work visa in October that year. I needed to get my papers stamped and since we were visiting India in November, I got them stamped at the Mumbai consulate. Came back in December, arranged for a daycare for S and by February beginning I was all set to start looking for a job. The IT bubble burst right around that time and there were no more jobs. Another plan goes poof! I kept looking for a job but after September 11th, I really gave up hope of ever finding a job until our green card came through because companies weren't hiring any H1B holders anymore.
In beginning of the next year (2003) I decided that if I ever wanted to return to the job market, it wasn't going to happen on my current skill set. So I decided to upgrade it. In fact, I decided to change fields completely. I switched from software development to Networking. Went back to school, earned a certification and found an internship through my college co-op in October 2004. In February/March 2005 my brother introduced me to blogging and I opened this blog. At that time, I had a part time job, our green-card processing was moving along at a good pace and I was beginning to feel that things were looking up again. I felt I was slowly getting where I wanted to be. Hence the blogger ID - Gettingtherenow.
I am still not where I want to be in my chosen profession. I have a long way to go. But I am sure I will get there. Even if I have to go back to college with my daughters :D It is like my wish list just reached God and he is fulfilling each wish one by one. Job - Check. House - Check. Baby - Check. Career advancement is next. I am finally getting there now.
going by what you've had to deal with, i'd say you've already got there! and the rest, which will come, is the cherry on the top.
ReplyDeleteit can be really frustrating to have your plans messed up so many times & yet you're always positive. i admire that in you.
ReplyDeleteHey! I really admire your dedication, perseverance and optimism towards your goals!!
ReplyDeleteYou sure will go long way girl!
Wow totally impressed GTN. I like your attitude so much.
ReplyDeleteAll the best for you in future
Ceekay,
ReplyDeleteYou have come a long way girl and you will go a long way too!! Bravo! You stuck to your ideas and that is what matters. Good luck on your job advancement. It gets my goat when I see these inlaws who prevnt their DILs from prospering in their career. Thankfully my FIL encourages me in all my career endeavours.
Love to S and M.
I'm sure every single reader is very proud of your accomplishments.
ReplyDeleteSad when entrepreneurship among women in India is not encouraged in some families even if the state is willing to help out.
gg
wow wow wow. i'm proud of you. you're the kind of person one just has to respect...
ReplyDelete* doffs her hat*
all the best.. and I am sure all the rest of ur dreams will come true.
Congrats on all your accomplishments. You've done so well!!
ReplyDeleteAll the very best for all your future dreams and goals. May they all come true :)
Wow - incredible. You have persevered through it all...never given up on your goals. You are an inspiration esp to your children - am sure they will just learn to be that from your example!
ReplyDeleteAn old friend of mine used to say "Life's a right straight curvy left." It took me years to figure that out. You can only live for yourself and your family. If I paid attention to all the people that told me I couldn't do something I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am now.
ReplyDeleteI am doing an "all hail" right now to you and your spirit! Am so impressed at the way you topped all those problems. Got here via your more recent post about why you work and really liked what you said. I have chosen to work from home temporarily, but someday I think I will go back to work full time, to a job where I am "needed" like you said! All the best.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, thou indomitable spirit!
ReplyDeleteAt your age, in your circumstances, I would really, really love to be where you are. Hats off to you! :)