Tuesday, August 07, 2007

If Only

Blogging wasn't available when S was born. Even if it was, I didn't know about it. Had it been available (or had I known about it) life would have been so much easier. This is one thing I tell my husband over and over.

If I had a blog then, I would have written about my birthing experience. That would have been one big load off my chest. By God! It would have been ONE BIG RANT! I would have written how, despite telling my OB/GYN and discussing it with J before hand that I wanted HIM next to me at the time of delivery, my MIL was in there with me AGAINST MY WISHES. And she actively discouraged J from coming in even after I asked for him a number of times. In fact, he was kept busy on pretext of other errands so he couldn't come be with me. I would have written how the nurse who was helping me during labor had forced me to start pushing very early on even though the doctor had left strict instructions NOT to do so until she told me, and how my MIL coerced me into listening to that dumb-ass nurse. How S' heartrate went down because of this and when the doctor asked if I had been pushing and I said yes the nurse made me do so, the nurse lied point blank. I would have told you how weak I felt after a whole day of useless pushing - so much so that when it was time to really push, I had no strength left. I would have remembered to log how my BIL (who is an anaesthesiologist and was present during my C-section) came into the delivery room and yelled at me for not pushing hard enough. (He was concerned about the C-section the doctor said I must have, but still...)

I would definitely have written about how my MIL picked a fight with J during my hospital stay, IN FRONT OF ME about why he took three days off for our daughter's birth. "Wouldn't we have taken care of your wife?" she asked. I would have written how shocked I was at this - how can a man NOT take a few days off at his first child's birth? And I would have cried on this blog about the first time MIL snatched S from my hands because I was "making her cry". I would have written about the million other tussels that went on in our family over Baby S. I would have penned how I was sad that I didn't feel the elation of bringing home a baby that I should have. Or that I was only important until Baby S was delivered. After that no one cared about my comfort. No one even bothered to talk to me - they would just come and take Baby S away to play with her while I sat alone in my room. I didn't even have the excuse to have her with me for nursing since amid all this chaos I didn't lactate properly.

If I had a blog back then, you would have known all my struggles as a "single" parent when J came over to the US and I stayed back with his family for a couple more months. How, even though there were 4 more adults in the house with me, I sometimes had to take Baby S with me to the bathroom because I couldn't find two hands willing to hold her. How a NINE year old boy, who lived with us, could see that I was about to drop dead from exhaustion and offered to babysit S while I took a nap but none of the other adults noticed.

Oh, I would have SO MUCH to tell! IF I had a blog then. But I didn't. So, I couldn't.

15 comments:

  1. I suspect we all have so much to tell, that's why we are out here. Blogging to me is less about venting than about finding somebody to listen to what I'm saying -- and to understand and emphasise about it.

    Does your MIL follow the K-serials too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww... i so understand all you are saying! i hope you enjoyed the 'second time experience' the way you dreamed about. enjoy your two beautiful babies and try to let go of past... it's only in the past.

    ~ap (fan of your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm... hugs. well we're here now. and we all have a sad story.. and we all have sympathetic shoulders. write abt it . really. it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finish reading your post and I realize that I have tears in my eyes. I am so sorry that you had to endure such hell. Write about it all you want now ... it'll be cathartic.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh - I just read your post and feel so bad about it. How sad - how can people be so callous. I don't get it - that your MIL was shocked your husband was going to take 3 days off! And how no one helped you despite 4 adults hanging around the house...Hope things are better now. First time here - may be you have posted about how things are now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww CeeKay.. All I want to do is come and hug you right now!..BTW, thanx for your offer..I am just caught up in somethings.. will take you up on that real soon.. in the meantime.. hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a real terrible experience. Hope things were much better second time around. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god. That must have been awful. And I thought I had a bad birth experience! I didn't have a blog then either, but I would've ranted too... Hope writing about it now was a little cathartic...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading about your experiences makes me feel I shouldn't have cribbed so much about the time when I had my son. You really had a terrible time!!

    But good its over and good that even if late, you have this blog NOW! Enjoy it girl!

    We are all there to listen to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is it that the majority of mommies go through the same $h%t? It's good that could let off the steam at least now. Let the past be past and just think about the beautiful life you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :( What a pain to go through, esp. when you were your emotionally/physically weakest... Why are women treated like a childbearing machine? Beats me!

    Well, you have a blog now - get it out of your system. Write, Yell, Curse... whatever helps.

    I keep telling my husband, if I had delivered in India, I'd have fought with every relative on the planet, including my parents, by now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! you're amazing to have gone through all of that and come out of it so positive and still such a nice person.

    more courage & power to you.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue: You are right - it is more about getting someone to listen and understand. MIL does follow "Kyunki Saas bhi kabhi bahu thee". I don't know about the others. Why?

    AP: Thanks for dropping in.I loved the second time experience and am going to do a post on it. Just wanted to get this out of my mind before doing that.

    MM: Thanks for the hugs. It took me a long time to get here - where I can look back and not go through the same emotions again. Now I can just talk about it without getting sentimental. Here and now is far better than then and there.

    SS: Thanks. I did write about it (this post). I think this is all I am going to write about that experience even though it is barely 10% of what I went through. I don't want to bring back those memories - I am very happy where I am right now and don't want to ruin it.

    Noon: Yes times are waaay better now. A post on this time's experience coming up shortly (hopefully :P).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trishna: Thanks. And I look forward to getting your email whenever you are ready. We are doing well - thanks for asking.

    NainaAshley: Thanks for the hugs. Yes, things are much better this time around.

    A Muser: You too?? I used to feel so guilty that I was sad when I should have been happy. It took me a long time to realize that it wasn't my fault.

    ~nm: Seems like a lot of us had a terrible time. Maybe that's why we are here to blog about our miseries? LOL! You are right - what I have NOW is what matters the most.

    Asha: Beats me! I think in Indian community in general, women aren't that important in people's minds in the baby-mom mix. It was true in my case anyway - I got a lot of attention only until S was born. After that I was a non-entity. That hurt the most.


    Kay: I and my husband keep discussing how we are happy this time around. How we are not stressed like the last time. Last time's experience is why I decided to go it alone this time around (even did a post on it)

    Broom: Don't say I am nice until you have met me :P I can be a real bitch at times :D Thanks for the hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi i am a new mom my self just had a baby 3 months ago,my husband and i are the best of friends and he was there when my c-sec was happening ...infact the doc asked him to come and "have a look" when the baby was coming out.but at teh same time i do actually know what you went through and how i wish without even knowing you that someone could have been there for you.i lost my dad suddenly when i was 5 months pregnant,the phase of losing a parent while becoming one was very overwhelming and popst partum i did go a bit wonky a little because of sheer exhaustion and a little because your harmones too go heywire ..it all lasts for a couple of monthws but trust me you can't be the same with all those who never bothered to help.
    so i proudly announce you the recipient of the post partum bravery award trust me after i had my baby i stopped fighting with my mom!!
    so cheers and happy motherhood!!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?