Just as we were beginning to relax about M's health - after her struggles with diarrhea - the E-Monster (Ear infection) struck! One day she came back burning with fever from the daycare and the provider said she had been tugging at her ear. It was so long ago(more than 22 days) so I have forgotten the details. But I remember, we took her to the pediatrician's the next morning and she was prescribed Amoxycilin. A 10-day course as is normal for an ear infection. No big deal, I said. She was supposed to get two doses every day so we gave her one dose at 8 in the morning and the second at 8 pm, just before bed. She responded to the second dose and was back to her regular, happy self. This was the same week that J had to go to NYC for his training. He didn't go away for the whole week, just left at 7 in the morning and came back by 7. But since he was commuting so much, I told him I'd take care of M during nights so he could get some rest. And M co-operated by sleeping through most nights. Still I got only about 5 hours of sleep each night, and sometimes less. No big deal, I said again, as I am used to pulling such "stunts". But I was also dropping off both kids and picking them up too. A friend helped out by having S ride the bus with her kids so I didn't have to drive across town to pick her up - this friend lives very close by. I'd leave work by 4, get home by 4:30, set up my computer and phone to work from home, then go pick M and S up, come back, give M her dinner and work from home till 7. I managed it pretty well too I think, but by Friday I was pooped.
Oh, and just to test my mettle, He-who-sits-up-there-and-has-a-wacky-sense-of-humor piled a few more things on my plate. Just for fun. Thursday, I picked up a VERY tired, no exhausted, S and by night she was running a high fever. 103. Gave me the heebie-jeebies. Cold-compressed her forehead. Told my boss I'd be working from home the whole day Friday, lugged both the kids to the doctor's next morning AND actually worked from home. I had a few deadlines to meet, a few meetings to attend (which I just "attended" over the phone) and a few reports to deliver. NOT a walk in the park - working from home with a sick kid and a sick baby, you know. With anxious coworkers "hovering" over for the urgent reports they need. One positive thing - S didn't have the flu or strep throat. It was possibly just some viral infection, most likely Mononucleosis (the doctor said) and passed out of her system in 3 days. She was back to school on Monday.
Friday morning, M completed the anti-biotic course and by evening she had developed fever again. High fever. And was drooling like a broken faucet. At first I thought maybe she was drooling because she was teething and maybe the fever was due to that too. But she was also gagging if she tried to drink/eat anything and threw up an entire bottle of formula on me so I decided to take her to the pediatrician's the next morning. In the meanwhile, I Googled her symptoms and found out that in babies excessive drooling may be a sign of throat infection.
Next morning (Saturday) the pediatrician checked her and found out that the ear-infection had returned. In my concern about the second round of anti-biotic that she was being put on, I forgot to ask him about the throat infection. We gave her one dose as soon as we picked up the medicine from the pharmacy and she promptly threw it up, along with her lunch. Since she had thrown every last bit up, even the Tylenol I'd given her before giving her anything else, I gave her another dose and she managed to keep it down. She was still drooling copiously in the evening and still had high fever so I called the physician on call and talked to her. I asked her about the throat infection and she said though the pediatrician who checked her should have checked her for throat infection and didn't, I had nothing to worry about as the antibiotics that she was on works for ear-infections as well as throat infections. By next morning the drooling had disappeared and M seemed to be on the mend. We also figured out why she was throwing the medicine up every time - it was bitter! So we started mixing it with water and the poor girl could barely ingest that but she made less fuss now. We still needed to grab her arms and force-feed her the medicine, but she kept it down now. By Friday, she had developed a cough. It was dry at first, then got phlegmy. We finished the anti-biotic course on Monday. The same day I got a call from her daycare that she had high fever (101.7) and could we please come an pick her up. I immediately called her pediatrician's office to schedule an appointment as I wanted her to be seen right away. This was at 3:45 pm. They said they'd accommodate her if I could bring her in right away but they close at 5 so I had to hurry. I work at least 40 minutes away from Norwalk, and then I'd have to add the time it will take me to pick her up and bring her to the doctor's office. I could get there by 4:45 pm and even that was iffy. So I asked J to pick her up and take her to the doctor's. The pediatrician who checked her declared her free of ear-infection and said there wasn't any congestion either. We were told to watch her and bring her back if the fever didn't go away. She was supposed to go in on Wednesday for her 9 month checkup and shots (which had been delayed because of the ear-infection). J and I were up most of Monday night/Tuesday early morning tending to her - she threw up 4 times in 12 hours and had trouble falling and staying asleep. By morning she was a little better but we decided to keep her home. I had a conference with S' class teacher at 8:45 am and we woke up at 8:10! I rushed off to the school while J got the girls ready and brought them to school. He dropped off S and handed over M to me. I emailed my boss that I'd work from home again. I am lucky that my boss is a kind, accommodating fellow. M was a little cranky and had low grade fever all day but otherwise she was OK. No throwing up, though she had a reduced appetite. By Wednesday morning, she was running a fever - 102.5 degrees. I gave her Tylenol and then rushed to the pediatrician's appointment. I knew they wouldn't give her the shots because of the fever but I wanted them to take a look at her. We found another ear-infection in the same ear. Third round of anti-biotic. I was getting more concerned by the minute. I had an important meeting to go to, so J took the day off and stayed home with her. We started her on the antibiotics but I made up my mind to go to another doctor for a second opinion. Fortunately our insurance plan allows us to do that without any hassles - we just have to walk in to any doctor's office and don't need any referrals.
I took a day off on Thursday and took her to a doctor we used to consult with for S when she was little. He took a look and said "You can give her antibiotics for the ear-infection and cure it, but it will keep coming back if you don't do anything about the congestion that she has". Turns out she had upper and lower respiratory tract congestion. She was prescribed a decongestant. I called her pediatricians back (it is a group) and told the physician-on-call about the second opinion and the decongestant. We agreed to give her one daily dose of the decongestant instead of the prescribed four and continue with the antibiotics. Just one dose of the decongestant worked wonders! Within 20 minutes of taking that, M was screaming at me because she wanted to share my meal. A first in the last 2 weeks! I made a plain dosa for her and she ate most of it! Her appetite is improving though she is very drowsy because of the decongestant and has been sleeping most of the day. But whenever she is up, she is cheerful and not cranky like before. She is even crawling again and running around in the walker. Maybe she feels better now, or maybe she is high!
We have to take her in next Tuesday for a follow-up when, hopefully, she will also get her 9 month shots. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best this time. A lot of women who work with me and have sent their babies to daycare have assured me that this will pass once the flu season goes by and I am trying to keep my hopes up. Have done a little research on ear infections. They are caused when the nose is congested and the nasal congestion drips into the ear canal, fluid accumulates and becomes infected. Many times an ear infection clears up by itself, but doctors don't like to wait for it to clear up in babies under 2 because a severe ear infection can cause a temporary hearing loss which, in turn, can result in impeded speech development in small babies. There are some other reasons too, but I really am not in a mood to go into the details. I was concerned about resistance to antibiotics and the doctors (both, the pediatrician and the one I went to for second opinion) AND the pharmacist told me not to worry about it as M is not being kept on the same anitbiotics for a long period of time. I must have asked them about 23 times. I feel a little reassured.
Oh, and now I have cough, cold and a fever too! Hope April turns out better.
Poor little thing and oh, you poor parents. I just hope she stays well now. All the very best to all of you.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry. Every thing will be alright in due course uf time. Every parent has to face such situations.
ReplyDeleteQuite a bad turn of events, isn't it??? Nevertheless, things are under control now. Here's me sending a HUGE group hug to all the family members.Get well soon.
ReplyDeleteCheer up, the rainbow is just around the corner:-0
So you were on my blog while I was on yours, eh? :D Your comment came just as I was halfway through your post.
ReplyDeleteGlad she's better now, hope you get better soon. I just remembered - cloves in the throat also work. Oh, and decongestants are a must to cure respiratory tract infections, I feel. Otherwise whatever phlegm is there just gets stored up.
Delurking for the first time...have been reading your blog for sometime now....
ReplyDeleteMy niece had the same problem....getting back to back ear infections...but she is better now after they put tubes in her ear. Tubes fall off on their own once the kid is 4-5 years...
Do check it out...it really helped by neice.
Hang in there...I know its very hard.
AI
Damn! That's rough. *sending some healthy bytes your way*. Hope all's spiffy in Kay-dom now.
ReplyDelete--
Null Pointer
Oh my god CeeKay. Hugs to all of you. How sad. I can totally understand what you must be going thru. I tell you, I am pro day cares... but man, the kind of bugs that go around there can get very nasty. I myself am have visited pediatrician's office MANY times since Oct. I too know amoxicilin and augmentin a little too well. Spring can't arrive sooner. Healthy vibes your way. Hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDelete~AP
sounds really bad...
ReplyDeleteI am sure things will look better in April...hold on!!!
But do take care of urself first...only then u'll be able to do the superwoman stuff that God is expecting out of you this moment!
When it rains, it pours, eh? I hope things are all better now...
ReplyDeleteear infection! grrr... take care..
ReplyDeleteWhew just reading this TIRED me out. I don't know how you do it C !
ReplyDeleteoh! that really scared me ! how did u manage? And look at me, crying for no reasons....I really need to learn a lot.
ReplyDeleteplease take care.
Get well soon, all of you.
ReplyDeleteSo glad she's better now! Definitely a TOUGH time for everyone. My daughter had similar symptoms a mth or two ago.. and the first ped (we go to a group too) Rxed a cough syrup .. She was wheezing and the medication didn't do much. Another ped at the practice saw her a few days later and put her on the nebulizer. While administering that to her is no fun, she's been much better.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything!! :)
- Shruti
Oh gosh, scary stuff... glad the kiddos are better. Hope you feel okay soon...
ReplyDeletefirst off hugs to you. you have some mettle to deal with that and WORK. Wow. Chip's ped is a big fan of decongestants. He always prescribes those even to ward a potential ear infection. I think the first flu season in daycare is always bad. She will be much better next year. Trust me.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the kids are doing better now. I am sure April will bring sunshine ... Hugs
ReplyDeleteThat sounded like quite the ride.Hope all of you are feeling better now.
ReplyDeleteI hope M is feeling better. I have just one simple suggestions which works wonders for my son is steam. Take M in the bathroom and run the shower on hot for 15mins and keep her there..you can bring some toys in to keep her busy. Do this 2-3 times a day and after the steam use the nasal aspirator to suck out all the mucous. You will see a tremendous change in her in 2 days only. Let me know if this helps. I swear by it..
ReplyDeleteEveryone: I am EXTREMELY sorry that I can't reply individually to your comments but please know that I really appreciate your concern. Thanks for all the good wishes and words of encouragements. Things are still not better, but I am feeling much better after getting this support from all of you.
ReplyDeleteAnon (Al): Do you know what is the minimum age for considering the ear-tubes method? Will a 10 month old qualify for it? IS it painful to have them inserted? I hope you read my comment.
Anju: Yes - I must try that religiously. I have tried that a few times but with everything else, I haven't been able to do it recently. I and J are going to do it twice every evening from tomorrow. Since I work full time, it is not possible for me to do it during the day.
Shruti: I hope your daughter is better now. Nebulizer must have been real difficult to administer to a small kid/baby. How old is she?
Dotmom: I asked her pediatrician today and he said he actually discourages the use of decongestants because they have some bad side effects. Another doctor in the same group laments the fact that OTC decongestants were pulled off the shelves. I am confused. I am going to follow it up more with another doctor, but do YOU have any idea about any of this?
I don't know about the minimum age...my niece got it when she was year old..
ReplyDeleteIts not painful...they are given general anesthesia and are fine at the end of day.
It seems its a very common procedure done here...lot kids get it fixed.
I have seen a marked improvement in my niece.
If you find good homeopathic doctor in your area..try consulting him too...
Don't worry, I am sure you will find a solution when you go to the ENT specialist (see to it that he is good).
And ya...my sister kept my niece at home (got her out of the daycare) but she still got ear infection...some kids tend to get it more than the other.
There is also a theory that when start walking...it helps with the draining of the ear...I really don't know if it is true..
Sorry for the long comment...
AI
Al, you came back!! I can't thank you enough for taking out the time to reply to my comment!
ReplyDeleteI have set up an appointment with the ENT specialist that M's pediatrician recommended. i am also trying to get an appointment with another ENT specialist who comes highly recommended by the daycare provider. Luckily our insurance allows us to consult anyone any number of times.
It is reassuring to know that M is close enough in age to be able to get the tubes (if necessary). Though I am worried about the general anesthesia part :( And as you said - I hope she starts walking soon and maybe it'll get better.
We have been trying homeoparthy too but this time it didn't work fast enough for the congestion to resolve before it developed into an ear infection. But we are now starting M on a remedy that will hopefully resolve her congestion quickly.
Long comments are welcome on this blog ANY TIME of the day!
Hope all of you are getting back to normal now!!
ReplyDeleteSometimes, nothing works! Both t1 and t2 have had ear-tubes. Both got back-to-back-to-back ear infections (T1, despite staying home!)...
It is a 10-minute procedure. I went in with T1 when she was administered the anesthesia (it was sad to see her drift off, but definitely not as bad as i thot it'd be!), and by the time I got the scrubs off, got myself a cup of coffee and updated Pup about it, the Doc was out...
T1 was more disoriented than T2 when coming off of the anesthesia...it took her about 1/2 an hour...and those seemed like the longest 30 minutes!!
T2 seemed to come out of it much faster...I could have actually gone back to work right after - no kidding!!
By the time we got home, both T1 and T2 were pretty much back to normal!
They were both about 15 months when they had it done. T1 had maybe 1 or 2 infections after that (not really infections, cos the tube helps drains all the fluid off before becoming an infection)..
I'm really glad I did it, tho I have heard about other kids who have had to repeat the procedure if the tubes fall off too soon. Hope this helps with your decision!!
Oh, and the age - tho mine were 15 months old, I saw a few kids less than a year old at the hospital, waiting to have their tubes placed.
ReplyDelete