Saturday, March 01, 2008

The first battle of wills

Baby M loves the tissue box. She loves to pluck a tissue out and tear it apart. We don't let her do it. For one, she puts the pieces in her mouth.

We usually keep a box of tissues in every room (really comes in handy when there is a mucous-filled 9 year old ready to explode in your face). There is even one on our bed, between the pillows, next to the headboard. It is this box that M made a beeline for this morning when I brought her in our bed. As she reached for it, I just blocked her access with my hand and said "No". She tried again from a different angle. I blocked her again and repeated "No". We went at this about 20 times. Usually, I just pick her up and distract her but today she wouldn't be distracted. She kept going back to the tissue box. And it is Saturday. I have all the time in the world (well, not really). So I decided to see if the block-and-say-No strategy took us anywhere. So I kept at it. Gently, but firmly. And in a true stubborn-child-of-stubborn-Cee style M kept at it too. After about the 17th try she started getting the idea. She still tried a few more times. Then she must have realized it wasn't working. So then she sat back and started playing with what I had been distracting her with.

It WORKED! She does understand a "No". Only she chooses to ignore it. But we are getting to the point where I just call out "Uh-unh" and she backs off. We have tried that when she was trying to grab hold of my laptop's adapter. It took a few tries - 5 or 6 maybe - but she did move on to something else and I didn't have to physically remove her from there.

In bargain, I do let her mutilate a few newspapers and glossy fliers (while keeping an eye on her that she doesn't sneak a piece in her mouth) and generally let her make a mess sometimes (like pulling freshly laundered, neatly folded clothes out of a laundry basket, onto the floor). I am trying to keep "No" to a minimum so that when I do say it, it is paid attention to. For now it seems like we are making a headway. Lets see where this strategy takes us. It worked for us with S. I never had to baby proof the apartment with her but then we were living in a one-bedroom apartment and didn't really have much stuff anyway. No coffee table, no dining table or the horde of other tables that we have around the house now. And all these tables have stuff on them - photo albums, candles, flower vases, table lamps, books.... It will be interesting this time around.

15 comments:

  1. And so starts a lifetime of battles of wills ;)) May the Mom prevail -- sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The battle has begun ... Good luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cheering for baby M.
    20 times is great ! keep it up baby M!
    Just kidding! Enjoyed reading her antics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! U r one persistent mom ..have to learn from u :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see where and why the word 'Optimist' features in your profile. S seems to have been the dream child!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe she'll learn to distract you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I have been a regular on your blog for a while and greatly admire your courage and take on issues. I was wondering if you could do me a small favor. I have written a post on child labor on my blog. I was wondering if you could highlight the issue on your blog too. You can link me or the website on the my blog to talk about it. I realize this is a wierd request. I have seen the effect of projects like Blank noise which as made such a tremendous impact around the world and am hoping this issue could be highlighted too. I am a political science student in US and am passionate to put an end to this. I completely understand if you are uncomfortable for any reason and are reluctant, just thought I’d ask. Thanks.
    This is my blog and a link to the Stolen childhood website is there.
    http://binaryfootprints.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I have been a regular on your blog for a while and greatly admire your courage and take on issues. I was wondering if you could do me a small favor. I have written a post on child labor on my blog. I was wondering if you could highlight the issue on your blog too. You can link me or the website on my blog to talk about it. I realize this is a wierd request. I have seen the effect of projects like Blank noise which as made such a tremendous impact around the world and am hoping this issue could be highlighted too. I am a political science student in US and am passionate to put an end to this. I completely understand if you are uncomfortable for any reason and are reluctant, just thought I’d ask.
    My Blog is at
    http://binaryfootprints.wordpress.com/
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck with the "keeping no to minimum". Needs a lot of self control/efforts. sometimes it s so much more asy to say no and restrain

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am waiting for the next couple of posts to see who the "real" winner is! :)

    PS: I am hoping its you and you can pass me all your knowledge! :)

    *** waiting anxiously ***

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL ! I won't join everybody in saying let's see who wins the next round because I have a sneaky feeling that you actually *might* :)

    But she's a chip off the old block what say? (Go Mitthi !)

    Have only been reading you on my google reader so haven't been commenting and I'm seeing your new look only now (!!) I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amuser: Sometimes? SOMETIMES ??

    CA: Thanks. I need all I can get!

    RJ: And you don't appreciate Mom's patience? Arrey koi Mom ke liye bhi cheer kar do yaar!!

    Neera: Persistent is a civil name for ziddi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 30in2005: That she was. I never experienced the terrible twos. Now my only fear is "what if she has been saving it all up for the teen years?"

    Dipali: LOL! Yeah - she might not even have to try too hard. Mama is distracted anyway :D

    Binaryfootprints: I will be glad to. I am not sure how soon I can get around to doing it because I am in the middle of a demanding project at work right now. I will at least link to your website. I can't promise a blogpost anytime soon but I will try my best.

    ITW: You are very right. But the second time around I am more "chill" :D I do agree that some situations just require you to say No and restrain. This wasn't one of those so I had some fun :P

    K3: Well, the real winner will be declared when Baby M grows up to be a responsible adult - or not. So don't hold your breath :P But I'll definitely keep you updated of the progress.

    Poppins: Thanks for jumping here from your google reader :) And thanks a bunch for the confidence :P If she is anything like her older sis, I'll just sail through these issues like the last time. But I have a nagging feeling that this one takes after me in stubborn-ness and temper :( Interesting times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You go Mamma! we go through this so manytimes..for so many things..just yesterday,I packed my beautiful,ikea paper lamps..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck to you - sometimes the younger ones seem to enjoy what the older ones never did ! But I must say you did very well if you managed without childproofing your house with S.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?