Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What did I do to deserve THIS?

The weekend was tough. I was sick - cough, cold, fever. The whole enchilada. For the first time in my life I wished we could ask someone to come over and take care of the baby so both J and I could rest a little. But J soldiered on, let me rest through the fever and by Sunday evening I was back on my feet. Even managed to clean the first level of the house! Dusting, sweeping of the floors - everything!! There is something about Monday morning deadlines that forces a person to shape up :D

Tuesday morning couldn't have gotten any more crappier for me. M had a appointment with her pediatrician for the 9 month checkup and she was supposed to get her shots. J was supposed to take her but at the last minute an emergency arose for him at work. I had an urgent meeting but his emergency trumped my urgency so I had to take M to the doctor's. Wasn't a big deal though - just had to email my boss that I'll be in late. That is the thing about such situations - you feel more guilty when everybody understands the situation you are in and doesn't say anything. Anyway. What do we learn when we get to the doctor's? That despite being on her THIRD round of antibiotics (Amox, Augmentin, now Vantin - I didn't know there WERE so many antibiotics :P) for SIX days, M still has an infection in her right ear. So now we are going to see an ENT specialist and see what he says.

But this is SO not the point of this post. When I got to my office, I popped in my boss' office and said "Sorry for the short notice" and what does he say? "No problem. Don't worry about it".

Then I bumped into Tharini from Winkiesway on Googletalk. Her reassuring words were like a soothing balm. She offered to send some Saibaba bhabhooti for M. Now I don't believe in all this, but I sure recognize love and caring and kindness when I see it. I really appreciated that offer and accepted it. Told Tharini my true feelings and said I'd try it for her sake and she accepted. I am hoping her faith will tide me through these difficult times.

Next, I see Broom on Googletalk and her status reads "sick". So I pinged her and eventually (pretty quickly, actually) the talk turned to my kids and their health. She offered a shoulder for me to cry/whine on and said she would have babysat for my kids if she were here. She even promised that she would sincerely pretend to "listen" to all my woes so I can IM her to my heart's content :D Now what else can you ask for, huh?

Then I went to our HR director and asked her if there was a way for me to get unpaid time off if I need to (my company doesn't do unpaid time off as a policy) and she told me that even though there isn't a policy, they do evaluate such cases on individual basis and all I have to do is submit a request saying I would like to take unpaid time off for all doctors' visits for the next x number of months. I asked her if, after doing this, I wanted to take paid time off at the end of the year (we are planning a trip to India) would it be frowned upon? She said no.

Then I went back to my boss and told him about my conversation with the HR director and he supported me thoroughly. He even suggested that maybe I should take some time off and keep M at home to help her get better fast. This, despite a BIG project looming ahead.

Later during the day another friend chided me for not telling her about our ordeal because she would definitely have helped (even though she was sick too).

Coming back to my question - what did I do to deserve such kind and compassionate friends and colleagues? It really warms my heart to see that there are so many people who care for us. THANK YOU ALL!!

11 comments:

  1. i'm sorry to hear of the persisiting ear infection. it sucks when the babies are sick, doesn't it?
    you've got a great support system at work and in your friends, so hang in there and here's hoping things get better SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean exactly! I always get so emotional when I'm showered with so much love and affection and caring words from anyone.

    Be happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm glad you sound a bit chirpy atleast. The unpaid leave option sounds very good, I hope you get it. If not anything it will prevent you from making any drastic decisions that you might regret later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you believe in "Pay it forward" theory CeeKay? I do. You must have done some pretty nice deeds to deserve such kind souls in your life. It all balances out in the end.

    When do you go on your leave?

    I hope M feels better. Maybe it will do you all good if you can stay home with her. Or even the ear tubes.

    ~AP

    ReplyDelete
  5. CK,
    Its always gratifying when things turn out your way like this.
    Glad to see this count your blessings post in the middle of all the chaos.
    I think the leave will do you a world of good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CeeKay can't believe how you handled this so well. And you have so many friends because you are such a wonderful person. I mean it. I really do. Hope M's ear infection gets all sorted out..keep us posted. Perhaps have tubes put in? hugs to you.. you had a difficult week and hope things will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww. I think whenever we are most down and low, we also become most open and receptive to good vibes and little kindnesses.

    I'm glad that you had so many people to show their concern and I am glad for whatever part I played in making you feel better.

    Little M will be alright and very soon. How did the ENT appt. go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. CK - It just goes to validate the good person that you are .. You deserve it - not to question! :) A colleague of mine was going through constant ear infections with his daughter and they finally got tubes put in.. He says it has worked for them!

    And as far as taking care of baby M - I would've! :) At the risk of sounding like a creepy stalker - not too far from Nwlk plus M looks like such a cutie! My daughter is only a few mths older than her.

    - Shruti

    ReplyDelete
  9. :-)

    I'm smiling because similar thoughts went through my head over the weekend. I was sick all of last week and things for iffy and I was generally messed up, but by weekend I realized how lucky I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone! THANKS again, for the kind words.

    We are taking M to an ENT specialist on Monday and will take it from there. So, on our HR director's suggestion, I am requesting only 2 or 3 unpaid days off for the next week and then will formulate another request when I have an idea of what we need to do. But yes, the availability of this option has brought so much relief to me that I can't even begin to describe it. I would have HUGGED someone at the time if I could :D

    For all of you who think good things happen to me because I am a nice person? Thanks for the vote of confidence but really, I only show you my nice side. Ask J :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there,

    I am sure u have checked it already but your company doesnt even do FMLA-12 weeks? I thought that was the law for reasonably big companies. Or may be you already used that for this year for your maternity leave.
    Hope you find some way to deal with this. I can totally identify with your situation. My daughter just got diagnosed with Pnemonia and it aint pretty. My husband travels through the week for work and things were moving in a downward spiral. Thankfully both sets of parents have agreed to step in and bail us out. After that we are getting a Nanny. No more daycare.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?