Monday, April 07, 2008

TaDa!!

One tooth is beginning to peek out! This morning M grabbed my finger and put it in her mouth - right over the emerging tooth. It was as if she gave up waiting for her mom to put a probing finger in her mouth in search of new teeth and decided to declare the new arrival!

S got her first tooth the day she turned 10 months old. M got hers when she turned 10 months and a day. She followed her big sis in at least one thing. If this is any indicator of things to come (M following in S' footsteps) I can start relaxing right now :D My fear is that M is turning out too much like her mother.

Today is a big day for another reason - J and I celebrated our 16th "anniversary of togetherness". Today is the day he said "I love you" to me [for the second time]. Today we completed 16 years of that fabulous event. Yes, we still wish each other a happy anniversary on this day. We are that kind of romantics. We have stopped exchanging gifts. At least for as long as we have to pinch pennies to create a comfortable future.

Today was a whirlwind but I worked non-stop all evening to make sure I can get to bed in time. No such luck. While winding up the kitchen work, I noticed we didn't have warm water. Checked the heater and found out that the furnace wasn't working. That means no hot water, no heat. No can do - specially if the temperatures are still dipping at night. So we called the 24 hr. service number (around 11:15 pm) and they said someone will be over in a couple of hours. Well, it is 11:45 pm and he is already here. I like this kind of service! Will know in a few minutes if we will have heat and hot water for the night or if they are going to need to come back. Never a dull moment around here!

The visit with ENT specialist went well too. He said M still has fluid in her ears but the infection is gone. So, now we will watch her for signs of further infections. He said if she gets another infection within the month, he will talk to me about tubes. I asked him what is the minimum age for a baby to be a candidate for ear-tubes. He said he has put them in babies as little as 5 months old. He also said that for a baby her age, she hasn't had too many ear-infections. In other words, this many ear infections are normal in a baby her age. Well, that's funny because I don't remember S getting even a single ear infection at this age. The first one she had was at the age of 2.5 years (I think) and till date she has had about 2 or 3 maximum. What makes a baby extra vulnerable to ear infections? Just wondering.

This week has started with a bang - M gets her first teeth, we celebrate an anniversary, M goes without an ear infection for the first time in the last month or so (keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed :P I hope I haven't spoken too soon). Rest of the week seems promising too. J goes to NYC again for training from Wednesday to Friday. So I'll be doing The Juggle again. Friday is J's birthday. Looking forward to that even though I haven't a clue what I am going to get for him.

S and I went to the supermarket last weekend. While coming back, during conversation regarding my forgetfulness, S said "You could lie to dad about something and he'd believe you". I said I don't like to because 1) I just don't feel comfortable lying to him. A marriage should be based on trust and 2) if he catches me in a small lie, he might not trust me again for anything. I told her I wouldn't want to lose him over that. She says "You know, I love him more than you do". I said "How could that be possible?" She says (well I helped her in this deduction, but anyway) "I have loved him all my life while you have only loved him half your life". She has a point!

19 comments:

  1. Aww, congratulations little M, and to her oh-so-romantic parents too! 16 years and you're still keeping the romance alive - that's so wonderful!

    On the ear infection - children under the age of two are vulnerable because the eustachian tubes which drain naturally occuring fluid from the ear tend to be very narrow and not quite upto the task yet. If the child has a cold the tube gets very easily blocked and the fluid doesn't drain allowing bacteria to grow and causing and infection. That's why decongestants are important when babies get colds -to try and ensure that the eustachian tube doesn't get blocked.

    Sorry if this is way too much unsolicited gyaan :-) I've been reading up on it since Moppet has had 2 very bad ear infections in quick succesion and tubes have been discussed here too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you many more of the anniversaries and many more years of togetherness !

    Very cheerful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to everyone on the whole bunch of milestones/acheivements!
    much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated happy anniversary and hope you managed to get your heating sorted out.
    S is a really smart girl, i loved her deduction..

    ReplyDelete
  5. belated happy anniversary and aww saying "i love you" for the second time...how cute is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww... so lovely! Congrats Baby M, and happy anniversary to you :)

    How's the heater?

    And I think S has just proved that "a daughter's your daughter, all your life". :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww!Congratulations!
    That is so cute!!
    And what S said was so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candyfloss: The unsolicited gyaan is actually very welcome. Thanks!

    Hope Moppet isn't getting as many ear-infections now. You already have your plate full.

    2BsMommy: Thanks!

    Unmana: Nice idea! I'll try to think of things that have changed and things that haven't.

    Mona: Thanks. "Much love" equally reciprocated :D

    Silentone: Actually the oil tank was empty and that is why the furnace kept shutting down. The technician poured in 10 gallons to tide us over the night and then they came in this morning and filled it up.

    Orchid: I actually meant to link to an older post that explains why he had to say it twice but was runnign short on time.

    Suki: Thanks. The heater, as I explained to SilentOne, is fine now. S is a dream of a daughter. She has thoroughly spoiled her parents and raised their expectations of Baby M highly :P

    I Love Lucy: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet 16!!! Cheers! and here's wishing for many more years of togetherness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to the whole family!! And an award to S for her incredible statement. You go girl!!
    Look forward to another post on why he had to say the 3 words twice!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very happy anniversary to both of you! Very sweet sentiment expressed by S! Gosh - I suppose my daughter is going to completely steal B away from me! (if daughters can say such sweet things!).
    I have been talking about ear infections to another friend - her kid has had consecutive ear infections some 5 times and she does not even go to daycare...she has been worried sick about whether or not to go for tubes...I sent her this link - has a lot of good information.
    http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-earinfections-ess.html

    Also I know some docs recommend using garlic ear drops to prevent ear infections - you have to massage the ear lobe so it reaches the bottom of the ear canal - but this is something one may not prefer to do - just because it is something you have to carefully put into the child's ear - not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww... the 'I love you' anniversary is adorable... and I totally love S's logic for loving J more - clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. M does have a point!! She is smart, sweet and gentle daughter.

    Congrats to M. Yey!!! More food. Hope teething is easy on her.

    So what is the heat situation?

    ~AP

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy anniversary, ahppy birthday, happy first tooth. I don't know what gives babies ear infections.. Chip was home for the 1st year and still got one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations. and the logic was wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  16. Much happiness for all the celebratory occasions, and a very happy birthday to the much loved J. I love S's logic! What have you finally got for him?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww.....Happy Anniversary! Happy b'day to J and congrats to M on the tooth! :0

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waaw that is some logic abt her whole life vs. your half life only!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?