I wanted my first-born to be a girl. I was very clear about the reasons too - I had seen that women who were first-born (including me) were more independent and more confident. While women who had older brothers were kind of dependent and not that confident about their abilities to survive alone. I can count at least 5 examples of each kind just among close friends and family. Sure there are exceptions, but this is what I have generally observed. Of course it might be my own perceptions that have tainted my view in these matters. It might be a coincidence that I know enough women who fall in both categories or maybe due to the fact that older brothers are protective of their little sisters and hence the girls grow up in their brothers' shadow. And I am not saying one scenario is any better then the other - I just wanted my daughter to be like me. Independent and confident. And there was an added element of the rebel in me wanting to dash the ego of certain members in the family who were confident that the first-born in the Kay family is always a boy :P
I was not very particular about the second one either. A boy would be good, but so would a girl. I actually felt like the person who hasn't had any sleep for 6 days and when he finally gets to sleep, he doesn't care if he is sleeping on a silk sheet or a soft, 850-count Egyptian cotton sheet. I was so starved for a second child that I had absolutley no preference. I and J talked about it once during my pregnancy and both agreed that it would be a nice experience to have a boy this time but a girl would be equally loved and cherished. And now I look at M and cannot even imagine how this family would have looked if she had been a boy. Not too different, I think. But I do feel a twinge of regret. Now I can't show my friends that I would have taught a son to cook and clean. That a son can be as sensitive and caring as a daughter. That a son would listen to me as much as my daughter does - not because of his gender, but because I would raise him that way. All wrong reasons to want a son, I know :P On the other hand, I can show them that I am really happy to have a second daughter. That I am not mourning the birth of a second girl. And that two daughters complete a family as well as a daughter and a son or two sons would. Also, I firmly believe -
"My son's my son, till he got him a wife
My daughter's my daughter all her life"
Don't remember who said that, and couldn't find them on Google either. But these sure are some words of wisdom!
Somewhere, in the back of my mind, there is this 19th century thinking lurking that my daughters would have to leave me when they get married. But then I come back to reality. My parents have a son, but he lives in another state because of his work. J is away from his parents because of his work. In today's times, with the world becoming a global village, people are moving oceans away for work. There is no guarantee that your sons will stay with you when they grow up. And with time, the social taboos of living with a daughter are crumbling - so there is a high possibility that your daughter and son-in-law could come to live with you. Actually, I have already started my evil planning for this :D A few days ago I told S that when she gets married, she and her husband should come live with us.
But I am telling you - this parenting is a heartbreaking business. You invest everything you have - money, emotions, heart, mind - in bringing up your kids. These kids grow up, find someone they love, find a job, get lives of their own. Sure they love you, but they have lives of their own. That is the circle of life. And you are left behind with just memories. Even if you are lucky enough to have your kids close to you, they still are seperate entities now and no longer just an extension of you. How does one get used to that?
it's true, isn't it? parenting is heaert-breaking - i don't know how we can survive it.
ReplyDeleteAwww, a post after my own heart! If you were in front of me, I would have given you an enormous (((((hug))))).
ReplyDeleteI, too, wanted nothing more than a little girl the first time round. Some of my reasons are similar; I watched with glee as members of the family (IL's) who wanted a boy were 'thwarted'. I wanted the girl child to come into my home because, in my first pregnancy, the baby-to-be was always referred to as a 'he', especially by my MIL and FIL.
The second time round, I wanted another little girl, for the sake of my first. I was open to the idea of a boy, but the idea of another daughter was the one that made me smile.
I rebelled at the (medieval)idea, suggested to me many times, that if I had a boy the second time round
my family would be 'complete' and I wouldn't have to try again for a boy.
I ask them: you're telling me that a family of 2 girls is 'incomplete'?? Or are you saying that my girls are somehow deficient, and that I haven't really had 'children' until I have had a boy?
As for them leaving the nest, CK: I think that's what the real meaning of love is: to nurture and protect a tiny, defenceless human being, see her grow up strong and independent, and then let her fly off to lead her own life :).
AWWW I knowww..Big hugg to you from me too..and another one to Mummyjaan too!
ReplyDeleteI always always wanted a girl..and I want a second girl too.. a boy may be ok too...
But,my eyes,always mist up,thinking of giving away Aadya..So,We have decided to just get a ghar-jamai!! NO problems there! :)
Now that last paragraph of yours is my biggest worry before we take the first step! Is it even worth it? I ask my mom and she gets wild!
ReplyDeleteAnd that is the exact counter to the teenagers' eternal question "Why can't the parents get a LIFE of their own? Why end up bugging us day in and day out, not really trying to know us but still pretending they know all?"
ReplyDelete:).
I wanted two daughters... sniff...
ReplyDeleteHey, I always wanted a daughter too. So bad! That I cried with happiness after the ultra sound.
ReplyDeleteThough I am always so mean to my mom, I feel that parents who dont have a girl child miss out something in their life. That was my reason. To feel fulfilled and complete. A son would be nice a second time around, but I really wouldnt have known what to do with one if my first born was a son, dont think I would have loved him much.
I now feel guilty for wanting a son just so that I can protect my unborn daughter (I am not pregnant so talking hypothetically) from a super educated family that I know wont welcome her. The consolation that was offered to me for the first grand child and the only girl in the family still hurts and I dont know if I'd ever be able to forgive and forget if I hear 'koi baat nahi' as the first reaction again!
Gazal
*sigh*
ReplyDeleteI knew there was something special abt being a first born girl..:D
ReplyDeleteAs for the daughter leaving home, I am still my parent's daughter, no matter how far I go. I don't care for the "Oh You are part of another family now" I have the family I come from and the family I create. And these days the daughters seem to be the ones who end up caring for the family more..
I don't know either how to get used to it :-(
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post.. I so agree with you about women being more confident and independent when she is a first born. I have seen enough examples of this too and I too wanted it this way. I am half-way there now :) - have a daughter.
ReplyDeleteYour last paragraph summed up EXACTLY how I feel, very very well. Its heartbreaking but then thats the circle of life.
Let me go and start working on my daughter to convince her to live with us once she gets married. We have found the boy too, all she needs to do is grow up :).. and for my own sake, i hope she doesnt read this..
Girls rock :) But a "Ghar-jamai" or a "Ghar-Bahu" for that matter...no way, let them lead their own life.
ReplyDeleteMona: It is true. I wonder how our paretns survived our moving away. But I am thankful that they never tried to stop us - love them all the more for that.
ReplyDeleteMummyjaan: I would have hugged you back! I had at least two of my coworkers (Americans) tell me that they hoped I'd have a boy so our family would be "complete". I argued with one of them saying "my family would be equally complete with two girls. And my family was complete even with one child". I know as a parent my job is tolove them, to nurture and protect them and then let them fly off in search of their own lives. Knowing it doesn't make it any easier though :(
Trishna: LOL! Ghar jamais are all welcome!
Unmana: Sorry to hear about your loss. It is good that your mom is socially so active. That is another thing I worry about - how would I cope if something were to happen to J? I'd become a complete recluse I think.
Pooh: :) Yes it is completely worth it, and then some!
Suki: Was that a compliment or a brickbat??? I need to know before I can respond :D
Rohini: There is still time. Try, try, keep trying. And don't come bash me up if you end up with three sons :P
Anonymous (Gazal): I am a little confused. You have a daughter or are you pregnant? But don't listen to those super educated types who offer consolation for a girl child. They don't deserve the girl child.
mayG: Why the sigh?
Binary: Yep. We first born girls are super specials :D And "I have the family I come from and the family I create" - TRUE!!
2BsMommy: Well figure it out fast and tell me!
Silentone: If you have already chosen a boy for your little girl, why not start working on HIM to make him your gharjamai? **evil grin** Hope his mom doesn't read my blog :P
Sandeepa: "let them lead their own life" - I agree. But a girl can dream, can't she?
I deperately wanted a girl...I had chosen T1's name 4 years before she was born! I'm reading a book now about raising a spirited daughter, and one of the things the author points out about the difference between a boy and a girl is the way "we" treat them, and what we expect of them!
ReplyDeleteYeah, gonna be a tough one to become empty nesters :(
I have 2 of each and I think its perfect. My girls play soccer and my 3 .5 yr walks around having tea parties and wears a tiara on his head.
ReplyDeleteI hope both my boys grow up to be sensitive and loving boys...:)
*taking notes seriously everytime ceekay spews forth parenting-discipling advice*
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd have a girl too and had dreams of empowering her to kick butt. I'm rather stumped with my Nibbles and hope I don't force him to play with dolls to prove some silly point.
As for Barbie, I did go through the analysis and term papers in college, but it didn't mess me up too much as a kid; I continued to eat generous spoonfulls of nutella and chopped off the blondest Barbie's hair and painted it red and black like a rock star. uh, ok, maybe I was messed up!
--
Null Pointer
P.S. hope M's ear infections have vanished for good
How does one get used to that?
ReplyDelete...with practiced letting go and a certain detachment right from early on.
By living in the moment, and always enjoying it, so you always have all that you need.
By having a good life and interests of your own and make life go on when they move away.
All pretty high maintenance solutions that seem like herculean tasks when set before a parent's aching heart.
Maybe reconciliation lies in one thing...in accepting this pain as a necessary part of the loving process.
I don't know.
Nice one. I am a first timer here and came through indian mommies blogspot. I have a son and a daughter, but i try to keep in mind that raising them up well is my duty and definitely look forward to it but expecting them to be with us is not at all in my view. I have had a good world of experience on this a post later on this. But yes these days things have changed, you might get to stay with your daughter and son equally or more with former.
ReplyDelete