Saturday, April 05, 2008

Child labor: Is there a solution?

Some time ago, I got a comment from BinaryFootPrints asking if I'd like to help her spread the word about the evils of child labor. "Why, definitely!" I said. But here we are, almost a month later, and no post from moi on the topic. Various reasons have contributed to this tardiness. With everything that has been going around, I haven't had a chance to write about it. Sure I have written long posts on how the baby is and how we are coping and all that meaningless stuff, but this required some thought and effort. So I kept putting it away. Then I realized that I didn't have to research the topic exhaustively to spread word about it! I just had to write how I feel about it. And maybe point the readers to other such posts. Simple, huh? And I am wondering why I couldn't have had this light-bulb moment any sooner :D Anyhoo - without further delay...

First, read this post by BinaryFootprints on the subject. I have read other posts too but don't remember exactly where to find them.

I have heard the argument that it is better to give these kids a cushy job in your house because otherwise they will go find jobs that are more taxing or unhealthy. Well, sorry but I don't buy that argument. If household chores were really that cushy, you would have been doing them yourselves and even would have had your kids doing it. Yes, I know you are pressed for time and so are the kids. So, I understand the need for hiring a maid. But please, PLEASE don't insult my intelligence by saying you are doing these kids a favor when you hire them. You probably hire them because you can pay them less and get away with it. And you can boss them around more than you could boss a grown man or woman around. Maybe, just maybe, you hire them because you couldn't find someone else. In that case, I'd say make time to clean up your own house, wash your own clothes (really how much time does it take to do it with a good washing machine?), assign chores to your family members. I grew up watching my mom get up at 5:30 am, sweep and wipe the floors, wash dishes, cook TWO meals (one for the tiffins and another for "lunch" that we had when we came back from school) and leave for work by 7:30. My dad helped out. We all pitched in. It was never considered by mom's task alone. They washed the clothes on Sundays. Dad would tidy up around the house before leaving for work. He would cook rice or make rotis before leaving if my mom asked him to. So I know it CAN be done. If you really care for these kids, maybe you could sponsor education for one of them. But that would mean giving without getting anything in return, wouldn't it?

I have heard arguments that the kids can be taught to read and write at home while also earning a living. Really? Is reading and writing enough for being "educated"? That is called being literate - not educated. How about math and science and even language? So, again - do not give me these lame excuses for hiring young kids.

Needless to say - I am touchy about this issue. I didn't realize I was this touchy. And at the same time I realize I haven't addressed the real issue yet. I have just ranted on the reasons people give for hiring young kids. And I don't know where to begin on this issue. Hiring kids as domestic help is just a teeny-tiny part of the whole issue. How about shopkeepers and other businessmen who hire them? How about other businesses (and the sweatshops that we hear about)? Well, we have to start from somewhere, right? And in my opinion, the only way to eradicate this is by killing the demand. If there is no demand for child workers, the supply will itself dwindle away. But is it that easy to implement? First of all - not everyone feels it is a wrong thing to do. Second - how about those families that need every member to work in order to survive? We can make any number of laws and this problem still won't go away. There HAVE been laws - what did they accomplish? We can pay these families money so they wouldn't send their kids to work and would send them to school instead. We did it. But that didn't work either.

To the parents who are so poor that they need every hand in the family to earn a living (even though I know they will never read my blog) I'd say don't bring children in this world if you can't afford to feed them and provide them a decent education. Really - we need to spread that message around. Don't procreate if you can't provide. [Heh! Did I just make a slogan?? :P]

Unfortunately, all I can personally do about this (being where I am) is blog about it. When we lived in India with my husband's family, we did hire a young boy who must have hardly been a day over 9 years. I didn't like it but at that time I had no say in such matters. I don't know if I'd have been able to do anything if we had stayed in India but I do know that in 12 years of marriage I'd have finally gathered courage to create a stink about it. Yeah, seems hypocritical then that I am writing this post. But times change a person and now I am not who I was then. If we had been living on our own, I would have definitely never hired a child as domestic help.

For a brief time J's mom hired a maid who used to bring her daughters along to help her. But one special thing I just realized about this mother-daughter trio is that the daughters went to school and helped their mom only after returning from school. I am expecting brickbats for saying this but I'll say it anyway. I think that is commendable on the mother's part that she was atleast sending them to school. That she brought them along to help her lessens her "crime" in my eyes.

I have no idea how to help the kids in sweatshops and quarries. Like Binaryfootprints said - we can start by spreading awareness about it. Maybe that won't eradicate this practice completely, but it would at least make some people rethink. That would be a start, wouldn't it?

6 comments:

  1. w.r.t.
    http://simplypallu.blogspot.com/2008/04/what-puts-me-off-reproduction-i.html

    Thanks for your kind comments. The problem here is having the hubs on the same page. We're silly in love but there's a communication gap when it comes to adult-daily-life-necessity-talks. Working on it. :)
    But unless I have him on my side to fight the world with, I'm nnot producing an army :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never bear the idea of children working in my house - when I have kids of my own who lead comparatively such cushy lives, how can I square it with my conscience to make these young kids do hard labour, with the only salve being - oh, well, they have a roof over their heads.

    I see it all the time with my son's classmates - so many of the parents have hired young kids to watch their kids, and it really makes me furious and squirmy inside. To deprive one child of its childhood while you're ensuring your child has the best childhood possible...

    ReplyDelete
  3. United Nations-MDG..this might interest you…
    One of the darkest characteristics of poverty is that is seems to prey on the vulnerable and defenseless. In low-income countries, one out of every 10 children dies before the age of five. In wealthier nations, this number is only one out of 143.
    I think its high time we all individually or collectively Stand Up and Speak Out for our rights

    This will help all you people on this blog to do something along with the United Nations in your locality.
    Check this
    http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=47234928

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unmana: I wish I could make it rhyme :( It is nagging at my mind.

    SimplyPallu: Yes, being on the same page w.r.t. parenting is super important in my opinion. All the best!

    BEV: I know what you mean.

    Ayesha: Thanks for the link. I checked it out briefly, will do so in detail again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Child in most developed countries worked say about 70 years ago. It is only in modern ages that economies have the luxury of children not working. In the Us school year is so tailored that children can work on farms in summer. If there is a better solution it can be implemented. Trusth of the matter is really this. there is no good sloution. All this will NOT go away overnight. In a generation or two we will see reduced instances of child labor. Until then, hiring them and being compassionate while doing so seem to be the only viable options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Child in most developed countries worked say about 70 years ago. It is only in modern ages that economies have the luxury of children not working. In the Us school year is so tailored that children can work on farms in summer. If there is a better solution it can be implemented. Trusth of the matter is really this. there is no good sloution. All this will NOT go away overnight. In a generation or two we will see reduced instances of child labor. Until then, hiring them and being compassionate while doing so seem to be the only viable options.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?