Saturday, April 12, 2008

Why I am not scared of Barbie anymore

When I had my daughter, the older one, I was scared like many other mothers of little girls. Scared of the influence that Barbie was going to have on my little, innocent baby with her unrealistic proportions and the standards of beauty that she projected. My husband and I were also very worried about the influence that "American culture" would have on her if we stayed in this country. We came here with the intention of staying for 7-8 years and then returning to India. I didn't want to (for various unrelated reasons) but I was ready to make that sacrifice for the good of my kid.

American kids call 911 when their parents try to discipline them, we were told. And many other horror stories that involved drugs or sex or both. Statistics on teenage pregnancies and children born out of wedlock. We were adequately terrified of the culture we were stepping into.

Then we gradually met other people, made friends. A few among these had been in the US for a long time. Almost over 20 years. Some had grown kids. Some had teenagers. And when we saw some of these teenage kids, it was a shock to us. They were far better behaved and family oriented than the teenagers we had recently seen back in India! Slowly, after talking to these kids and their parents I realized that it was possible to impart my values to my kids even though the outside influence would be considerable. That is all I gathered. How to accomplish that? I had no idea. But over time I realized that the main key to keeping your child under your influence is communication. Good old "talking at the dinner table". And much much more talking than that. In the car on your way to school or swim practice, at bed time, during bath time, on lazy weekend mornings, and of course when your child wanted to talk to you. But this is just one part. Another is showing them through your actions what your values are. A small example. J & I don't curse. Well, almost never. Neither does S. She picked it up from us.

At first I was so against Barbies and the culture of narcissism they portrayed that I refused to buy any Barbies for S. One day, a friend excitedly told S that she had received a brand new Barbie as a gift. And S innocently asked "What is that?". The mother of her friend looked pityingly at me and said "Oh she doesn't have any?" I felt bad - for S. But I was used to such comments from parents when they'd just assume S didn't have something because we couldn't afford it.

Alert: digression ahead!

Once we went to a party where a lot of kids S' age (she was about 4.5 then) had been invited. She met a boisterous boy about a year younger to her and they got famously along. Here in the US when that happens, a mother's antennae promptly go up "BOING!!" with a "Play date alert". Which means - immediately get friendly with the parent(s) of the little kid your kid is having fun with so that you can setup play dates for them. So the boy's mother and I started talking. Casual conversation about how old is he/she, where was he/she born, does he/she go to preschool etc. During the conversation, the topic of TV viewing came up. I told her that S' TV time was severely restricted to a half hour of viewing every other day and none over the weekends. And that I didn't allow her to watch Cartoon Network or Disney channel. I was only comfortable letting her watch the public television programming for kids which I still feel is much better than these other commercial channels. (A separate post-worthy topic). She said "Oh my son's favorite TV show is 'The Wiggles' ". I knew who the Wiggles were and which channel the show was aired on (Disney) but as I said, I always felt "Dragon Tales" and "Arthur" (her favorite program at that time) were much better than "Teletubbies" or "The Wiggles" etc. Call it reverse snobbery but that is the way I felt. But I never snobbishly aired my views on this matter to other parents - to each her/his own, right? But this mom? She turns to me immediately after she declared what her son's favorite program was and goes "Do you know who the Wiggles are? Oh that's right! You don't get Disney channel!" and promptly turned her back to me and ignored me for the rest part of the party. (Or was it me who ignored her? Hmmmm...)

Needless to say, no play dates with that kid materialized. And I am still fuming, a good five years later, because I didn't get a chance to set the record straight with that mother (that we do get Disney channel, but I don't let my daughter watch it). Thank God for blogs! Therapy would have been costlier.

Digression over.

Anyway, so as I said, many parents just assume(d) that if S isn't allowed to do something it is probably because we can't afford it. I have learnt to tolerate this irrational deduction on their part. But at that time, when the mother wondered if S didn't have any Barbies because we probably couldn't afford to buy her one, it hurt like hell. I came home and discussed it with J. By that time I had cooled down. We decided we didn't want to buy her Barbies just because we were afraid of what people thought of us. So, life went on without Barbies. But not for long.

The "Barbie Home Invasion" began sometime when she was 4. I don't remember who gifted her the first Barbie - it was either J's friend who came visiting and brought a Mermaid Barbie with him or J's parents, brother and SIL who sent a sari-clad Barbie for her. Now I am not the kind who would return a lovingly bought gift if I don't want it. So we kept the dolls and even let S play with them occasionally. I think that was a good decision - S really had fun playing with them and wasn't as hung up on them as she would have been had she been deprived of them (I think). Slowly S started accumulating more Barbies. Gifts for her birthdays, return gifts at birthday parties and one or two purchased by her parents (**GASP**) for her. I felt as if everyone we invited for her birthday party went "Hmmmm. What would a little girl like? I know! BARBIE!!!!!" I wondered if it ever occurred to them that the little girl might also like a board game or two. Or a jump rope, or an Art set. Or books! Why not books? But Barbies it was - for two straight years! She now has about 20 Barbies. All safely tucked away in a carton that we packed them in when we moved to this house two years ago. She hasn't asked for them yet. We WILL bring them out when M is ready to play with them. By the way, when S was about 6 or 7, she officially declared to me "Mommy, I think I am over princesses. I don't like them anymore". Whew!!

It wasn't only Barbies that worried me sick. It was this whole culture of perfect bodies, perfect clothes, "daring" clothes, daring choices that scared me sh**less. Hearing stories about kids demanding expensive clothes, newest gadgets, latest toys and extreme privileges built up a trepidation in my heart about the coming years. "Peer pressure" became a four-letter word. I stressed out about S growing up to be like those other girls who were just preoccupied with themselves and their looks. Living for that next dress, or makeover party. Becoming a self centered kid, then teenager and then adult. What if she realized one day that we really can't make her do everything we want? All this terrified me.

Talking to other parents (of older kids), seeing them in action and seeing their kids kind of clarified things for me. I saw kids I was terrified S would turn into. And I saw kids I aspired for S to become. And I saw their parents. Compared them. I looked at my own childhood and tried to compare things. Tried to remember how my parents handled different things. It wasn't as if I sat down one day and created a spreadsheet. It was a continuous thing - always going on in my head. 24/7.

Slowly I realized there was no fixed answer. All the parents were the same - trying to do their best for their kids. Some just lacked the basic parenting skills. Among them, some were ineffective disciplinarians, some were so conflicted among themselves that their kids caught on to that and played them against each other, some were indulgent (more than they should have been) and some were so strict that their kids suffocated and were bound to rebel to break free one day. Well, how could I make sure I wasn't doing any of this? I couldn't. So there came a time when I chucked all the analyses and decided to -

1) Treat my kids as individuals (I have seen many parents make the mistake of not doing so and that gives rise to discontentment and future problems in the kids) and respect their feelings however trivial or silly they seemed to me

2) Be their parent and NOT their friend. Yes, I had to be friendLY so they wouldn't feel I was out to get them. But my job was to set limits and enforce them. To assign responsibilities and expect them to be carried out. To BE responsible and teach by example.

3) Go with the flow. I'd take each parenting challenge as it came and figure out how to deal with it.

I am still figuring things out. But I have found that talking helps (as I mentioned earlier). And saying sorry when I have hurt S' feelings definitely helps. And not yelling helps. Not being judgmental helps. I have noticed she comes and fesses up with me because I give her a fair chance. I never promise I'll not get upset if she tells me what she has done (yes, she has tried getting me to promise!) I just tell her that I will hear her out and then decide how to react. I do promise her that won't yell. Many times it has turned out that I actually didn't need to get upset. At times she had done something that did upset me and she faced the consequences for that (being grounded, having to write sorry notes, having privileges taken away etc.) But even at those times I told her how proud I was of her that even though she knew it would make me upset, she came to me and told me everything. After the first time it happened, I wondered if she would ever come to me again. To my surprise she did. Still does. I guess she is confident that I will hear her out completely before I make up my mind. And I think the thing that scares her the most is if I yell. As I have ruled that out of the consequences, she finds it easier to come to me and confess. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope she will continue to do so as she grows up.

Another thing I have learnt is to choose carefully what I am going to stress about. I have decided I will definitely keep on my toes where issues like drugs, safety, sex and education are concerned. I don't get worked up if she wants to apply lip gloss. I don't like it, but I still allow her. She still isn't allowed to wear it to school but she is allowed to "dress up" if we are going to some one's house. She isn't allowed to carry it with her so once it is gone, she doesn't reapply it (which means she is out there having fun and is not just concerned with how she looks all the time). She asked for bikini style panties once and I absolutely didn't want to let her buy those. She would have followed my "orders" but I let her buy them. She wore them for a few days and declared she didn't really like them because they weren't comfortable. That is what I want to develop in her. She should try things out and then use her head to decide if she wants/ likes it or not instead of following the herd. Well, the "try things out" strategy is definitely NOT for drugs and sex. It is fine for clothes and makeup and fashion trends.

I still worry about peer pressure and I know my only defense against that is to keep MY communication channels open with her. I know I can't be with her all the times. I have stiff competition ahead with her peers, specially as she goes into middle school. I am trying my best to give her the right foundation of values so when the time comes, she is prepared to handle the pressure. And I will keep letting her know that I am right here if she wants to talk, or if something goes wrong or if she just needs a sounding board.

That said, I also believe in teaching kids the age-appropriateness of various things. Like wearing thongs might be OK for me, but it isn't for her. Wearing makeup to work is fine for me, but she can't wear makeup to school. Along with age-appropriateness, I have also tried to teach her that different families have different rules and just because one of her friends is allowed to do something or has been able to buy something doesn't mean she will too. Her request will be evaluated based on our family's rules. (God! I sound so managerial :D)

I also believe in relaxing rules little by little as kids grow older. One example is of eating candies. S was not given any candy till she was 2.5 years old. When she started going to preschool, she discovered candy. Instead of taking it away from her and forbidding her from ever eating it again, I told her that she could eat one if she got permission from me or J first. She was allowed one candy on one day of the weekend. As she grew older, and her (good) eating habits became firmly established, I relaxed that rule little by little. Now she could eat a candy on alternate days IF she followed up by eating something healthy. And so on. These days she knows she can eat candy anytime but she also knows that she can't eat candy for lunch or dinner, and that she still has to follow up with a healthy snack. I never had to lock candies or put them high on a shelf even when S was little. I did put them away when she had friends came over because they didn't have the same level of discipline as S did. Even now, if you walk in our home, you will find candy filled containers on our kitchen counters. I hope I don't ever have to lock the candy away even for M. Because I believe not in restrictng them, but in teaching them to recognize the limits. Candy is just one example. I want this to be the case for every temptation in life they will come across.

There is a lot more to parenting and I am still figuring it out. Over the years I have learnt that kids usually imbibe values from their parents - even if they don't like to admit it. And that is my beacon of hope.

Now I have realized that my child will play with Barbie but she will pick up the subtle messages about a supposedly perfect body that Barbie is sending out only if I train her to listen to those. I didn't. So she doesn't. I have realized that it IS possible to let my daughter play with Barbies but keep her interested in outdoor games, math, science and scrabble. Barbie is just another toy for her - nothing more. So I have made my peace with Barbie, and Ken and other assorted Disney princesses and their respective princes. They can stay in my house and play with my kids, but its still MY house and MY rules!

27 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! :-)
    i have book marked this post for future reference! :-0
    you make perfect sense and even though i am not a parent yet - i couldn't help agreeing to what you say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, even for a non parent like me, this post is so reassuring. I have seen how different life is in India from the time we were kids, and sometimes I am downright petrified to have them, for fear of doing damage. My husband keeps saying even if we have a girl, we shall dress her up in jeans and turn her nto a tomboy, and I know that is not very possible.
    Reading your post has clamed me down, made me realize that I cna do somethings right too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing the post Cee Kay.

    I don't believe for even a minute that going back to India will inculcate Indian values in my children! I would be as scared of the 'external elements' India as I would be here :)

    Communicate, we do, some times to the extent of Chula telling, 'Are we done talking? Can I listen to some songs now?' But in general she LOVES to talk. I love the way these young minds work, especially between the ages 3-6. She now hears new words that she hasn't heard before and is processing new things and forms theories. Its better she verifies these theories with me rather than forming her owm impression. (I will do a post about this later)

    She looks at me wearing lipstick and asks me if she can have lips like me. I tell her, "Yes, you can when you are as tall as me AND atleast 15 years of age. Till them you can have chapstick"

    Anyways, I am not a fashion godesses. I believe in looking good, not in looking perfect. So hopefully it will rub off.

    I do what I think is the best and wait and watch. Thats the ony thing that can be done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring post, Cee Kay. I do agree with your parenting techniques, and use them myself. Except for the yelling. :( I do tend to lose it often. I like your way better and am inspired to work at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CK, this post touched me on so many points. My oldest is turning 9 and I am worried abt the same things. I did let them get Barbies at 4 because I didnt think it was a big deal. I grew up playing with them and loved dressing them up. FWIW, all those barbies are now naked and thrown at the bottom of the toy pile.

    But yes all the scary things like drugs and sex and dating scares me terribly. She recently complained of her breasts hurting. So we went shopping to buy camisole style thing to under, like how my mum bought for me. I was shocked SHOCKED at the selection at Target. They had thongs for kids. who lets their tween wear thongs.

    I thank my stars everyday that she is into reading and doing crafts and beading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post CK. I have similar pre-conceived notions about Barbie and other things as you have said. Hope to work it out as S gets older and as situation demands.

    And yes we don't even have Disney or Nick Jr. channels only PBS Kids

    sandeepa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post CK! Will need to bookmark and re-read. Everything you've said holds completely true for kids raised in India as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you & utbt have analysed this barbie thing is more than I could ever have imagined. Your parenting logic is very educational.
    I have huge issues with little girls dressing up to be looking good and kids being obsessed about looking pretty. But all this was my gut feeling but probably would never have argued it out with such logic. Maybe I should do a post so that I can think out loud:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Post CeeKay!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I forgot to ask you to check out my latest post where I'm talking about dealing with R's make-up requests...

    ReplyDelete
  11. awsome post. i think as parets we do have a lot of influence over our childre. more than what we think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the more such posts you write, the more my admiration grows for you! your approach is reassuring and enlightening at the same time. thanks for sharing, and please write more along these lines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post ceekay. i love how rational you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey blogger ate up my comment!

    was saying
    1. this is an awesome post
    2. i have slightly different views but hey whoever said everyone has to concur!
    3. your kids are lucky to have such a sorted out mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant. Awesome parents, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post ! I am so glad you have been able to establish the communication channel with S.
    I am trying the same with Cantaloupe as well ... regarding the candy habit, we follow the same rule with Cantaloupe. She clearly understands that she gets candy only during weekends. So even if someone hands her a candy, she promptly comes to me or BP and gives to us to keep it safely. Sometimes, I am so touched with her promptness that, I am tempted to relax the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome post, CeeKay. I've been thinking a lot about bringing up Popol right, well - at least to the best of our ability, and your post helped me sort my thoughts out. Will need to refer back to it in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome post, CeeKay. I've been thinking a lot about bringing up Popol right, well - at least to the best of our ability, and your post helped me sort my thoughts out. Will need to refer back to it in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder if you got this 'award' earlier; well, you have it now - it's called the 'Nice Matters' award. Have a look at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Excellent post...don't have words to say that how much I agree with each and every word you have written in this post...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope I sound as sure and confident as you do about all this. Most awesome is the way you don't yell. THAT is something I resolve to do time and again but the dratted temper gets the better of me...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pixie: Thanks! One word of caution - times change and so the parenting needs to change with time too. Your challenges might very well be different from mine.

    Binary: I owe you an email - sorry for the delay. Things have been hectic. You are right - India today is very different from the times when I was a kid. Actually, now I think moving back to India with my daughters would be a scarier thought for me :P

    UTBT: You don't think going back to India will make your kids more Indian? Well, a friend of ours thought so - when his wife was expecting their first child he told us he'd move back if they had a daughter because daughters, supposedly, need more family values than a son does :|

    Your approach to parenting your daughters seems to agree with mine a lot :)

    Amuser: It is only after a lot of guilt-laden years that I have been able to curb my yelling. And yes, I did read your post just before I did this post. Have been meaning to leave a comment but couldn't.

    Sraikh: You grew up playing with Barbies??? I must have had a very deprived childhood (or maybe I am atleast 10-12 years older than you :P) - I don't remember seeing Barbies ANYWHERE! I haven't been underwear shopping for my daughter for a long time (we buy underwear in obscene quantities so it lasts us for at least 2 years) but am dreading it. I have been actively trying to keep her interest in reading and sports too. Thankfully, I don't have to try much for reading - their school focuses on reading A LOT too.

    Sandeepa: What? You don't get Disney and Nick Jr.? Your poor deprived daughter! LOL!! I think our thinking WILL rub off on our daughters.

    Poppins: External influence and grandparental interference in India terrifies me. How much of it have you experienced? A post, maybe? If you have the time.

    Sunita: Yes - looking forward to reading your thoguhts on this. Go do a post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous: Thanks! Couldn't you possibly leave a name or initials with such a nice comment?

    Dotmom: Amen!

    Kodi's mom: That is such a sweet compliment! Thanks much!

    Mona: Rationality is a rare occurrence in my mind. I just happen to have finally developed a clear thought on this topic.

    Choxbox: Thanks! We have already discussed some more of it in your post as well. It would have been fun if we had been neighbors, na?

    Dipali: Coming from you - I take it as the highest compliment. Thanks!

    Cantaloupe's Amma: He he - for 2.5 years, we didn't tell S that candy was supposed to be eaten. If someone gave it to her, we'd let her play with it and if she accidentally opened it, I would say "Oh, ab to kharab ho gayee (Oh, now it has been spoiled)" so she would throw it away :P We were labelled as the emanest parents on earth by friends and family :D

    Mystic: Thanks!

    Mummyjaan: Thank you so very much for the sweet award. Will put it up on my blog soon. Your thoughts on the post?

    Priya: Thanks!

    Rohini: I used to yell. A lot. It is only recently (in the last 2 or 3 years) that I have reduced the frequency greatly. I can very much understand how hard it is not to yell. The thought that got ME going was that my parents managed to raise me without yelling. Really - until I got married, I hadn't been yelled at, at all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can totally relate to your Barbie concerns. I went through a phase where I bought sleepwear for Squiggles which had non-girly things like fire engine etc. on them because I didn't want her to be surrounded by stereotypes even in her clothing.
    The only thing I would say is that I have seen my mom and brother who are friends, and it works really well for them. So, it is possible to be a disciplinarian and enforcing rules and yet as the children grow, that equation can change and develop into friendship. SO, watch out for it :).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome post Cee!! It touches a raw nerve with I believe each one of us who aspire for our kids to be well grounded and the right choice makers, more than anything else in life. I so like and identify with your thought of the whole thing being an ongoing thought in your mind. And I truly admire you for having the patience to let S try out whatever she wants to and then decide for herself whether she likes it or not.

    I smiled at the line

    ... Another thing I have learnt is to choose carefully what I am going to stress about.

    I too am bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can really relate to this!
    ano

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?