God, grant me serenity,
to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage, to change the things I can.
And the wisdom to know the difference.
ॐ भूर्भुव स्वः तत्सः वितुर्वरेण्यम
भर्गो देवस्य धी महि धियो यो नः प्रचोदायत
भर्गो देवस्य धी महि धियो यो नः प्रचोदायत
These two prayers have helped me get through many tough times and I am counting on them this time around too. The toughest thing for a parent to do is watch their child suffer even a little bit. I remember one Vicks Vaporub ad that said - "आपको वही खांसी सबसे ज्यादा सताती है, जो आपके मुन्ने को आती है"। (You are bothered by that cough the most that bothers your son) How true!! If I could meet the person who came up with that line, I'd kiss their hands. And feet. This is the most insightful comment I have EVER heard about parenting.
S' dentist had asked us to take her to an orthodontist because she has some majorly crooked teeth and he wanted us to get started with "preventive maintenance" rather than have to go for something drastic (like surgery) when she grows up. So, we went. In nutshell what the orthodontist told us was this - her upper jaw is weak and not growing as well as her lower jaw has. As a result the lower jaw is slowly thrusting its way out while the upper jaw is going back. Her bite is not as it should be - upper teeth overlapping lower teeth. They meet and if this continues, the lower teeth could overlap the upper ones. This is genetic - something decided by the genes she has. And that's when, for a moment, I thought maybe my and J's match wasn't exactly made in heaven. (I am sorry J - I know you understand. I just meant that something that gives our daughter such a problem to deal with couldn't have been made "in heaven". I am VERY happy with you - for the record, and I wouldn't have married anyone else if I couldn't have married you. You know that, don't you?)
Thankfully, there is a simple fix for this. They will install an "expander" in her upper jaw which will push it outward and give the teeth some more space so they can come in easily. Then she will be given a face mask that will be attached to her teeth in the back, and will help pull her upper jaw outward. All this is going to be very uncomfortable but not painful (according to the orthodontist) And this will hopefully prevent her from needing surgery to fix this later on in her life. It depends on how well her upper jaw grows after this and if her lower jaw doesn't grow faster than the upper one.
Simple. In theory. Take into account that it is a 9 year old who will be going through all this, add to it the extreme discomfort she will have to bear and the pain too, and the fact that this treatment will last ten long months (after which, if both the jaws behave as they should, she will get simple braces) and you'll know why I need the support of prayers. I am on the verge of crying for her, at her discomfort and how my little trooper is going through all this. Yes, she is a little grumpy and yes we have given her the liberty to be so. She had "spacers" put in her teeth so that they will get some space for the metal expander to be put in this Saturday. That is making her extremely uncomfortable. She refused painkillers initially but then came back and asked for them. Which makes her drowsy which, in turn, makes going to school and swim practice and everything else that she has to do so much more difficult. Every sleep-deprived parent will vouch for that.
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going" has always been my mantra. I have mentioned it before too. My main grievance with God is - why her AGAIN?????
I was a kid who would have something or the other go wrong with me and have my parents worry about it. (nothing major, but needing attention all the same)
ReplyDeleteI know it is really tough and she is *VERY* young for any of these kinds of experiences, but let me tell you this will make her a sronger person and am sure she will surprise you with her strength and determination.
Just remember it is a passing phase and the Pupa needs to struggle out of the cucoon to emerge as a beautiful butterfly (This is my didi's mantra) :)
Ouch, that does NOT sound like fun. Is it okay to give some of the activities a rest while her body gets used to the painkillers? Try Arnica, though - works pretty okay, and no side-effects.(They should pay me for advertising medicine other than allopathy!)
ReplyDeleteThis has gotta be hard, but I have only one thing to say to that. It's what I say whenever life seems a bit hard on us. We call it "paying forward". And are grateful that we can take the lows in stride. :)
Good luck and best wishes to S and her family! She's a right little trooper, she'll pull through with flying colours.
awww ceek kay. i am so sorry to hear this, but the good thing is it can be fixed. Yes, she is such a small child and it will not be easy, but in the end, it will all be good. She is a wonderful girl and a very special one and she has you and J and ninnie. She is a strong girl, just as you are her strong mom. This will all be over soon and she will just have braces. I am couting down to 10 months. It will all be good. Promise.
ReplyDeleteawww, It must be really hard on your little girl and yourself. Just hang in there CeeKay, I hope the ten months fly away soon.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes and hugs.
Very sorry to hear that little girl has to go through this. I hope 10 months passes like 10 mins. (Hugs)
ReplyDeleteThis brings back bad memories for me - it always felt like I was constantly visiting the dentist around the same age as S. Its going to be tough for her. My heart goes out to kids who have contraptions like retainers. Hope the pain gets manageable soon.
ReplyDeleteThat really sucks... poor girl. Hope the pain passes soon and she settles down with the treatment. The face mask is only for the night? Is she upset about the vanity aspect of wearing them?
ReplyDeletei am so sorry ceekay. she'll be okay though, she's just a little tropper isn't she? hang in there both of you.
ReplyDeletelove and prayers to the two of you.
from what i know of you - you are a toughie. bet those genes have also been passed on.
ReplyDeletegod bless her and hope it goes off okay and quick.
Oh poor girl... she's really brave, isn't she? I'm so sorry for you guys... seems like one thing afetr another. *Hugs*
ReplyDeleteOuchie! Cee Kay, Your girl sure sounds very brave. Remind her that 'This too shall pass'.
ReplyDeleteAnd Kudos little one, for taking everything in your stride and doing what needs to be done.
S is a very brave girl. You are a role model for your own little sis and the other little girs and boys here.We are with you, we know you can do it.
ReplyDeleteAww. Poor girl. It all sounds very uncomfortable and tough for a 9 year old to go thru. But you have one strong will tough tropper at hand. May God bless you all with lots of strength to deal with this.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's tough. I have a nephew who had a lower jaw thing, where he had to wear a contraption to push it back - poor guy hated it so i can imagine what you're going through.
ReplyDeleteIt even sounds painful, but S is a brave little trooper for being a good sport about it (not wanting the pain killers). Big hugggggssss to her from Naren and amma (Naren is even slobbering). At this time, please make sure she is eating enuf to keep up with all that is happening. Please do mail me at mybabyisnaren@gmail.com for any diet related questions (I assure you that I have worked with people who have their jaws wired shut and yet eat healthy).
ReplyDeleteAwww CK *hugs*, she has you by her side, the best she needs to get through it. All the best. Hope the next 10 months fly past.
ReplyDeleteOh dear. Sorry to hear this, and really hope that it's not painful at all. Don't know what else to say at this moment.
ReplyDeleteTake care you all !
Everyone: Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words and for caring! S was very uncomfortable for the first two days but now she is a lot better and we have our little monkey back! The orthodontist is going to pull the spacers out tomorrow. I am sorry for not replying to the comments individually but I have been immersed up to my eyeballs in an emergency at work (now resolved, thankfully).
ReplyDeleteShobana - I will definitely write you an email - I could use some tips on healthy, nutirent-dense foods for S who is very active physically but has a small apetite. J and I are concerned that her health will suffer if she doesn't eat properly. I do try to keep her meals balanced and nutritious but I could always use help from a professional! Thankyou so much for the offer.
Hi Cee Kay..I do hope your little girl is better soon and that the 10months fly by..
ReplyDeleteI'm going to do a post and would like to link you up, I hope that's ok..
Sure SM! And thanks for delurking :P
ReplyDeletedear, do not worry...i am in almost the same condition...my 13th month old is still recovering a bout of pneumonia and porr thing is suffering from some other complications as well....she is 13month and am still recovering my 4th surgery after delivery...sometimes i always feel god tests us just to make sure that we remember him....and that he makes us more strong....
ReplyDeletedont worry...and i know this from my personal experience ..that things will always end up in postitive note.....god bless
IBH: Awwww! I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I definitely have no right to complain when so many other moms and kids are suffering more than me or S. I hope the little one gets better soon and you do too.
ReplyDelete