Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Muthiye - जनता की बेहद माँग पर :)

GGOP and 2B's mommy wanted me to post a recipe of Muthiye that I mentioned in my Thanksgiving post. I must warn you girls that this is my first attempt at posting a recipe and I am not very good at doing those because I rarely measure anything while cooking. I usually eyeball all the ingredients so all the measurements here are approximate. But this is a really "forgiving" recipe - you can experiment with it to your heart's content. Also, instead of cabbage, you can even use grated "Lauki" (bottle gourd) [can be replaced with Zucchini] or chopped (and washed of course) methi leaves. The measurement remains similar - you take as much of the lauki or methi as you like and add only as much flour as you need to bind everything together. Eyeball the rest of the ingredients. Here it is...

Note: I am sorry I don't have any pictures of the dish right now.

You'll need-

Cabbage - washed and finely chopped/grated - 2 cups

Green Peas (fresh or frozen) - 1 cup

Finely chopped/ grated garlic - 1 Tablespoon

Finely chopped/ grated ginger - 1 tablespoon

Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons

Sugar - 4 teaspoons

Yogurt - approx 1 cup (more if needed. Use yogurt instead of water to bind everything together - it makes the muthiye moist and soft)

Red chili powder - between 1-3 teaspoons. Depends on how spicy you want to make it.

Green chillies (finely chopped) - 1 tablespoon

vegetable oil - 1/2 cup

Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons

Hing - just a pinch

Salt - to taste

Wheat flour - 1-2 level cups - just enough to bind everything together. The recipe turns out better if you mix whole wheat flour (coarsely ground) with regular wheat flour (1:1).

Squeeze extra water out of the shredded cabbage. Add all the ingredients except the wheat flour, vegetable oil and yogurt and mix well. Add wheat flour one cup at a time and mix everything together. Stop adding the flour once you can make loose balls of the mixture that don't fall apart easily. Add vegetable oil and mix well again. You can add Baking Soda too, for extra fluffiness, but adding extra vegetable oil makes them puffy and moist so I prefer it that way.

Add yogurt - only as much as you need to bind everything together. This will give you a very soft dough.

Make small ping-pong sized balls or pat the dough out into the shape of a log and steam (just like idlis). You can take a steamer basket or something similar to steam the muthiye. I use a steel plate with holes (something that many North Indians use to cover the pot of milk etc.). I pour water in a big pan - about 1 - 1.5 inches deep, then I place the bottom insert that comes with a cooker for steaming (looks like an inverted plate with holes), place a flat bottomed bowl or strainer on it and then place the steamer plate with muthiya dough on the top. Using a steamer basket would be much easier but I am not buying one just because I want to reduce/limit the clutter in my kitchen. When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot and let the muthiye steam for about 25 - 45 minutes (depends on how soft the dough is - softer means more steaming required). You'll know it is done when a knife or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

The next part is optional. The muthiye can be eaten simply steamed, deep fried or stir fried. It is a matter of choice. I stir fry them with LOTS OF OIL :D because that is the way J and S like them.

If you steamed the muthiye in shapes of logs, chop them up in 1.5 inch wide pieces. (Helps to let them cool a little first) Heat about half a cup to 2/3 of a cup of oil in a pan. When it is hot enough, add 2 TABLESPOONS of mustard seeds (yes that's a lot but it tastes good, believe me) and some curry leaves (about 8-10) and green chillies (number depending on how hot you like it) sliced lengthwise. Once the sputtering dies down, add the muthiye pieces, lower the flame/heat to 3 quarters and let it cook for as long as you can to turn it brown and crispy. If you don't want the muthiye very crispy, you can get away with using much less oil. To stir it up, just shake the pan back and forth to turn the muthiye (like one turns an omelet without using a spatula). If you use a spatula or a spoon, it might break them up.

Once they are done to the crispiness you like, take them off the heat, garnish with chopped coriander and fresh grated coconut and serve with tomato ketchup and dhaniya chutney.

Note: And this makes it post number 101 in the year 2007 - a record for me! Never before have I blogged so much. Last year I just managed 19 posts and 27 in the year before that. So, 100+ is definitely an accomplishment for me :P

15 comments:

  1. sounds delish. i am going to try brushing them with oil or pam-ing then and baking them so that BigGeek can eat em. and congrats on the century!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great idea! I'll try it myself :)

    By the way you can halve the quantity of oil in the dough itself too - they won't be as moist but the taste won't change much. More heart healthy :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 100+.

    I came across a muthiye recipe recently on the food blogs (I am such a foodie and I love cooking - I do it when I am sad, happy anytime) and tried it..It didn't go down very well.

    Will try this one and let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! And yes - that would be very nice - to get a FRANK feedback on how the recipe turned out. But please do try to sugar-coat it with "I am sure yours turn out good but...." :D

    No, I am kidding. I'd love a frank feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Thanks for posting the recipe !! I am going to try it soon and let you know how it turned out !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. Also on your first recipe post. Remind me to show you my first recipe post... for scrambled eggs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 B's Mommy: Yes, please let me know how it turns out.

    Sue: I found it!! I am going to try it as I absolutely don't know how to make scrambled eggs. The sauce is an interesting twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not that I would ever attempt to make it but the recipe sounds like something yummy would come out of it. I see I have been ousted from the blogroll, such sadness :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sines: Ousting from the blogroll happened accidentally. My old blogroll is at the bottom of the page while I am trying to build the current one up. Anyways, you are back on the blogroll :) Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. am not going to read this - just the title is enough to make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought cabbage, will surely try this. Can I use chappati flour or did you mean whole wheat flour (brown color)
    Thanks for taking the time and effort!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ramya: Yes I meant chapati flour. They turn out better if you mix it with whole wheat (brown) flour. Shoprite carries a brand (I am sorry I don't remember the name) that isn't so brown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Muthiyas. One of my pals at college was Gujju and she used to bring these yummy methi muthias to hostel - we used to inhale all of them before the day was out...Will try out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will try this for sure!
    Thanks so much - I rarely make idlis will use the trays for something fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bird's eye view, GGOP: Please do let me know how they turn out - even if they don't turn out well. Your feedback will help me tweak the recipe for better.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?