Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Must have been the Fates*

Grail said "tell me your engagement story". Well this isn't exactly an engagement story, but this is what led to the engagement.

I always wanted to be a surgeon. A neuro-surgeon at that. And I was pretty serious about that. This was not just a childhood ambition, it was a much thought-out, family-supported, suits-my-temperament-and-talents kind of career choice. Then suddenly, in grade 12 just before finals, I changed my mind. Just like that. No questions, no explanations. Now I wanted to study Electronics/Computers. Go the MCA/MBA route to get a good degree and then a good job - fast. Luckily, my parents never forced their opinions or decisions on me. So even though they were convinced that I was making a mistake, they let me do this. And for this I am eternally grateful to them. I have seen way too many lives messed up because parents tried to live their lives through their kids by forcing their decision upon them. Anyway, I digress...


So, I made a choice and stuck to it. Opted for Mathematics, Electronics and Physics in B.Sc. Wasn't too motivated to study though - B.Sc. was just a necessary evil I had to put up with in order to do MCA or MBA, because both these courses required a bachelor's degree. I studied just enough to score a first division. Then, one day in Dec '89/Jan '90 something happened that would change the course of my life. We didn't get our regular English Newspaper (Times Of India) that day. Instead, the newspaper-wallah threw a copy of Hindustan Times on our porch. And thus started a twist in my fate which would otherwise not have happened.

A little before this, my mother had caught me skipping classes at college to go out with 3 of my friends one of whom was my boyfriend. We had recently had a tiff and were trying to sort that out - the other two friends acting as mediators (it was a big "tiff"). Mom didn't approve of me having a boyfriend, nor did she approve of this particular boyfriend. So, in the evening she had a lengthy discussion with me, during which I told her that I was sure of my choice and wouldn't budge. As I said earlier, my parents never forced their opinions or decisions on me. So Ma grudgingly accepted my decision on one condition - I wouldn't even think about marriage until I finished my studies and had a good job. This is exactly what I had in mind too, so I agreed.

As it happened, the day we received the copy of Hindustan Times, the newspaper ran an ad for a Master's program in Indore, run by Indore University. This was different from other MCA programs - this had both, computer and management subjects. The curriculum looked good. It was a Master's degree program and accredited by some government organization for technical courses. I looked at it and knew that I wanted to do this. There was only one problem - my dad would never let me go out of town, much less out of state, to study. He had always been overprotective of me. And it wasn't like my town had any dearth of good schools. It had reputed medical and engineering colleges. And an MBA program that people from all over the state, and even from other states came to attend. So I chucked the thought of going to Indore to do MCM (Master of Computer Management) out of my mind. Then one day my mom asked me if I had any plans for my future once I completed my Bachelor's. I was in the final year then. I mentioned the MCM program to her and said "Pa isn't going to let me go anyway". To my surprise she said she or my dad would never stop me from going anywhere if it were for further studies. So I applied for the program but never got an application form back from them. I assumed that either the admissions were closed or I had been disqualified. But my cousin, who lived in Indore, followed up with the university and they said I could still appear for the entrance exam because there has been some glitch in sending out the forms. This was barely 2 days before the exam. I took the exam without any preparations and, to my surprise, cleared it!! Then I was called for a group discussion which I cleared too and then for a personal interview. After so many hurdles, I finally got accepted into the program!

Classes started in July '90. On around tenth day, I saw a new face in the library. By then I had made myself comfortable in the department and was being my usual cheerful, loud self - even in the library! So when I saw this new, shy face outside the library, I invited him in saying "Consider this your own library. Come on in!!" Got a shy smile in return. A few days passed. I found out that the "new face" was in my class. His name was J. Gradually we started exchanging hellos. Then we became friends. Exchanged notes, sometimes did our labs together. By September of that year we had become very good friends. We studied together, exchanged notes, did our labs together, exchanged novels and poetry and even sat together in class.

One day, J came in with a long face. Upon much prodding, he blurted out that other students in our class were gossiping about us and that he was very disturbed about it. He said he didn't want my name to be maligned by these gossip mongers so it was best we stopped talking to each other. I was furious! I wasn't going to let a good friend go just because some people couldn't imagine in their petty minds that a boy and a girl could be "just friends"! And besides, I already had a boyfriend. I had already told J about my boyfriend back home. (He wasn't actually "back home". He was in another city, studying engineering) So, we continued our friendship. By the end of that year, we had added 4 others to our group and we were all inseparable - Roopali, Ashish, Nandita, Nikhil, myself and J. By Valentine's day next year, I had a feeling that J, MAYBE, liked me. But I knew he knew about my boyfriend so didn't think much of it.

On April 1st 1991, J handed me a card when I got to college. In it he professed his love for me in the most beautiful words. I was speechless and heartbroken. Because I understood his pain. To love someone and not be reciprocated is the saddest thing. Then J handed me another card - an April Fool's card! And J made fun of me saying he didn't love me. He only said it as an April Fool's joke. We both laughed and our friendship continued as before.

In September, my long-distance relationship with my boyfriend started getting rocky. I finally realized that he didn't respect me or my career choice (he actually made fun of it because I wasn't studying engineering or medicine and isn't that what you're supposed to study if you are really sincere about your career?) So, I broke it off with him. Before doing that I confided in J (we were best friends after all) who tried hard to dissuade me from making this decision. I didn't listen to him. That break-up and its fall-out is in itself material for another post. Life went on as usual.

After about 3-4 months, Ashish - another dear friend of mine, took me aside and asked me if I was aware of J's feelings for me. I said I was. He asked what was keeping me from reciprocating those feelings openly because he knew I cared for him too. I told him I didn't want to make another relationship-mistake so I wanted to take my own time before making a decision. He said he'd wait for it. Some more time went by. By March '92 I was sure I cared deeply for J too and he must have sensed it because on April 7, 1992 he proposed again. This time, I accepted.

*Fates: Fates Greek & Roman Mythology. The three goddesses, Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos, who control human destiny. Used with the.

14 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, and I think it was great that you were friends for so long before hand. It has been really nice to read all the touching stories!

    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. J sounds wonderful. To have waited for you for so long... you're a lucky girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful romance, full of twists and turns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply romantic! And so beautifully narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enchanting...May You both be happy together, cherish eachother ALWAYYYYYS...
    Bestest Wishes
    ardra

    p.s: also hoping that this post might inspire other bloggers to blog abt how their engagement came abt... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. bah.. you are like the filmy interviews where they say 'we are just good friends". how could you not know he was interested in you??!!!! :p slow coach.. lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful story !! Very very beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was a real interesting read - a real M&B story :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely story. Lots of shades of mine - MBA school, batchmates, starting off as friends, etc. only in our case Jai was the one with the pre-existing girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grail: Thanks for getting the ball rolling! I think our marriage is successful BECAUSE we were friends for a long time before deciding to spend our lives together. Otherwise this would have been a doomed match - we are so different in some aspects and very similar in some others (like a VERY short temper :D)

    Moppet's mom: Yes indeed, he is. And yes indeed, I am :D

    A Muser, Asha: Thanks.

    Ardra: Thanks. How about YOU write about yours? :)

    MadMomma: Nah - for a brief period of time, it WAS platonic. Then later I knew, but just ignored it :P Do write about how the OA proposed to you - please?

    Poppins: Thanks.

    Unmana: No let's NOT leave it for another day. Write about it, please do!

    Something to say: M & B? :D Maybe I should add some spice and publish it :P

    Rohini: Weren't those the BEST days ever?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I had already posted the story leading to my marriage long ago- and it was an 'arranged' one- so perhaps not as exciting?
    still here you are:

    http://ormakaliloode.blogspot.com/2005/01/marriages-are-made-in-heaven.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah *looks wistfully into the distance*

    ReplyDelete
  13. and now you're all a big loving family! yay! i love such stories! :0) now i'm all smiley and happy :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha ..so he waited 6 more days after Apr1 the second time round. Cute love story ..wishing u many more years of happily married bliss :)

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?