...it is time I stopped blaming various elements from my past for ruining my chances at having a decent career and took charge of my future. What say?
But how?
I know I need more certifications (due to the lack of professional experience) to beef up my resume. I even attended a training in mid-august after which I could have easily cleared the certification for that technology but right around that time I got a job offer and had to join that job in quite a haste. I just got one week to put my affairs in order - finding childcare being the main one. Now my routine is hectic and I barely get enough time to cook, clean (some) and do some exercise. The exercise, I feel, is the most important and most required part of my routine. I need to get back in shape if I don't want to land with various ailments as I get older. My biggest fear is that I will develop diabetes if I don't lose some weight fast.
This is my general routine:
6.30 am - wake up. Get ready for work. Pack lunches etc.
7.55 am - Out the door. Drop S off at her school then drop M off at her daycare.
8.30 am - Arrive at work.
8.30 am - 5.30 pm - Work, work, work (and exchange a few emails with some friends)
5.30 pm - Leave for home.
6.15 pm - Get home. Start cooking dinner. Make and pack lunches for the next day.
8.00 pm - Go to the gym. This is an iffy part. Some days I can't manage to go.
9.15 pm - Get back from gym. Eat dinner. Watch a TV program (or half). Clean up the kitchen. Make list for the next day - what to pack in whose lunch bag etc.
10.30 pm - Take a shower. Check email. Blog. Clean up a little around the house if I am feeling up to it.
11.30 pm - Get in bed.
Repeat Monday to Friday.
Now the only time I can take out to study is the hour long lunch break that I get at work. Will try that. It is like a vicious circle - I can't get work if I don't study and I can't study if I work. And I can study only if I am earning something to be able to pay the tuition. What a mess!!
LOL that's a whole lot stuffed in one day - I have the same sorta problem with trying to fit the time in to go exercise.
ReplyDeleteA few tips - get the husband to cook on the days you go to the gym or even when you don't - that'll free up time for you to exercise/study/RELAX. On a related note - get him to clean up and make lunches for the next day!
Darl - he should be helping you with this!
Again, get the hubby to drop the kids off if he can - then go to the gym in the morning before work, or get to work early so you can leave early (if you have flexible hours).
LOL - so basically get some help so you have some time to yourself :)
Thanks Silvara!
ReplyDeleteProblem is J does almost as much as I do. Sometimes more. the only thing he doesn't do is cook and I don't grudge him that. I don't do a lot of things he does - like pay the bills, mow the lawn, fix the various things that break around the house. He even takes charge of at least 50% of the children's work. I drop the kids off, he picks them up. Not fair of me to ask him to drop them off AND pick them up na? And my work hours don't allow me to pick up the kids. If my day looks hectic, his is too. The only thing is, I didn't write it down here because it is HIS day, you know. He leaves at 7.15. Comes back at 4.30 and takes care of the kids AND the chores for 2 hours before I get home. Unloads the dishwasher and even cleans up the kitchen on days I am busy with something else. I am overworked, yes. But not because of him :(
And I can't leave early because I have the drop-off duty :(
ReplyDeleteGoing to the Gym is to tone up the body,but one most aspect and need for all of us is a minimum of 30 minutes brisk walk.That will keep your BP,Sugar level and wt in control.
ReplyDeleteTry it.
You're one busy lady.
ReplyDeleteI dont know how you going to fit the studies in, but I assume you will...
HUGS
On days you cannot get to gym just shut everything out, pop in a very high intensity workout DVD and work out for 1/2 hr to 45 mins. It works for me as I have a routine very similar to yours. On some days am too pooped and I just imagine I worked out and leave it at that:-)
ReplyDeleteOh Cee ... your household is very similar to ours.
ReplyDeleteOnly difference, drop off is BP's duty while I do the pick up.
I got a certification last year and it was so hard to study for it. The only time I got was after 10:30pm. And BP shares a lot of chores ... but he is tied with work after 10:00. So I got lucky only when the kids were in bed early.
But ... I didn't work out and thats a very important activity you are able to squeeze into your routine. Would it be possible to go to library with the kids on days you are not working so they can read a book and you can catch up on some reading?
Agreed house may look like a mess, but we may have to take out some cleaning time for studies.
Mr. Chowla, I do try to walk too. I was averaging 45 minutes of walk 5 days a week during my lunch break but with the weather getting increasingly cold, those days are numbered. At gym too I walk a minimum of 20 minutes on days when I weight train and 45 minutes on the days that I don't. You are right - there is no better exercise than walking to control one's blood pressure and lower one's blood sugar.
ReplyDeleteCantaloupes.Amma (CA): What certification did you do? I tried going to the library, but the mind wanders :( Another problem is my attention span which is worse than a 2 year old's. I used to walk during my lunch break but with the increasing cold, it is going to stop now. So I will utilize that time in studying. Have packed my books to take to work tomorrow :P
Sraikh: YOU telling me I am busy??? Who could be busier than you and you manage to pack so much in your day!!!
ReplyDeleteDeepa: LOL@ you imagining you worked out. Good strategy :D
I did some management / domain certifications. Those were the only ones I can really make time / effort for. The technical ones require a lot of concentration and I am hopeless these days with my attention span :(
ReplyDeleteHow is your studying coming along?
:D. Busy lady.
ReplyDeleteI'd cut out the TV and blog time and use that for study. Or, if possible, hire home help who would take care of the cleaning and some of the day to day jobs and free up some time for the study.
Good luck!