Monday, February 02, 2009

Please don't talk to me

Last night I went to Stop and Shop. They have introduced a new toy gadget for shoppers. You go in, scan your store card and pick up a hand scanner and a few bags. As you go around the store, you pick up things you want to buy, scan them with the hand scanner and put them directly in the bag. When you are done, you go to a checkout counter, which could even be a self checkout counter, scan a bar code that says "End transaction" or something like that, return the hand scanner to a holder, pay and leave with the stuff that you have already bagged. It can be a real time saver when a person gets used to it. The self checkout counters used to be my favorites, but now this little toy is on my "Toys of the Year" list. Oh, but I digress.

Using the hand scanner set me thinking - this is ANOTHER way not to interact with anyone. Time was, one would go to a Mom and Pop store, bring the things they wanted to buy to the person behind the counter and pay for it. While the transaction was taking place, they would chat about the weather, what's happening, what's new and what's not. Then the small stores got replaced by the Super Stores. The checkout clerks got busier but they would still talk to you. Then came the self-checkout counters. Now you just go to one, scan your stuff and pay for it without the help of anyone. You occasionally need help and there are store employees around to help. You see the trend here? We are saving time by not talking to people! We are still doing the shopping, the scanning, the paying. All the saved time comes from not having to talk to anyone. Not that I mind.

S' school system has an inclement weather information system. One can check online, on a TV channel or call a phone number to find out if schools are closed or delayed due to snow. I love the online system. Just open a website and see if the schools are closed or delayed.

Personal banking is going the same way. I can deposit a check, withdraw money, check my balance, deposit cash - ALL from an ATM kiosk of my bank. I can pay bills online and transfer money too. Don't need to talk to no bank teller!

When we were going on our trip to India in December, I put our mail on hold ONLINE! Imagine! No need to go to the local post office to fill out that little card that you needed to turn in if you wanted your mail to be held. That way you don't have to talk to the nice man behind the counter who would definitely have said "Oh what a beautiful baby you have there!" upon seeing your 18 month old. I did have to call our newspaper company to put our newspaper delivery on hold (Note to self: remind the newspaper to "grow" with the times)

I have tons of online friends too. I exchange emails with them all day long. As I was just telling my mom the other day - I hate talking over the phone. If I call you every other day (mom, you reading this? :P), imagine how much I must love you! Never mind that I don't say it.

So that, in a nutshell, is what is becoming of us. We are turning into anti-social but efficient beings. And I believe I am leading the way. Do remember I love you, but don't call me. Email me!

13 comments:

  1. Yes... we are efficiently shopping saving time as well ... but do I like this ... NO !!! (sometimes perhaps ... not always) ...
    What about the employment of those folks who worked behind the counter ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds cool - taking the scanner along with you ! But I prefer the interaction with another human being :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I did the scanner thingy once and forgot to scan a bunch of things.. so had to stand in the line anyway! I do wish they come up with other ideas of saving money ratehr than automating everything..

    ReplyDelete
  4. how much are they saving anyways? these poor people get paid bare minimums...! it's such a relief at the local Wegman's store where the folks are SUPER SUPER friendly and helpful. I've NEVER seen a grumbler!
    Hope Wegman's doesn't resort to these techie thingies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Look at me now, I am having lunch on my workstation(and not with my colleagues) while I have put on hold a digital replay of a training I didn't personally attend and I am reading my bloglines updates while eating. Talk of missing out on personal interaction and being efficient! the ill effects of being a new working mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, that's why I mail you! I love you too :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. i actually like it.
    the not "talking", but chatting.. getting everything done online... the mobile bill payments.. all of it.
    i LOVE the digital world! of all the benefits... it helps me avoid people whose stupidity bothers me!
    i am no longer rude! what's not to love!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. CA: Yes, unemployment resulting from this IS the biggest problem.

    2B's Mommy: I do too - when I am in the mood :P Otherwise I just want to be in and out of there without having to talk to anyone.

    Dottie: You coulda just scanned them later when you realized, no? Well, I LOVE these gadgets. I was in Shoppers' heaven that day :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. GND: I feel like a meanie :( I like these gadgets :((

    Preeti: Yeah, I get you. And new mommies are the ones who need maximum interaction. But did I implement it? Nope :P

    Subha: Finally! Someone gets me :P

    Rayshma: A girl after my own heart! C'mere! Here's a hug for ya! Yep - not being rude is a good side-effect :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm.. ya.. really cool.. i just go and drop everything off the floor, that is just so much fun !!!! (a lil embarassing for my mom-dad though)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats my life here. Cant have a decent conversation coz of the language issue. Im so used to it that I was avoiding people when I went to India this time. Emailing a virtual friend comes more naturally than picking up the phone and talking to a cousin!! go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, didn't mean to do that :)
    I grew up having people around all the time and loved having all that non-stop talk and fun :)
    But now, I'm not the same person. There are times when I "long" for some quiet time!
    But when we have family meets now, I DO love it!
    And, as for stores, Wegman's is one thing, Walmart is an entirely different story altogether!!! Need I say more??

    ReplyDelete
  13. what? people still call each other!? :p

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?