Monday, August 04, 2008

Of respect in relationships

S and I are developing a routine where we go to the library every Monday. She is all showered and homeworked when I get home on Mondays. Then we have dinner and then head out to the library around 8. The library stays open late, until 9 pm, on Mondays. S gets two videos/dvds and a few books if she is done reading the current ones. I get a book, or not - depending on my mood and schedule.

Today while coming back from the library, we somehow started talking about relationships - as in boyfriends and husbands. S mentioned she hopes she'd find an Indian guy just like her daddy - who'd be as good a husband to her as her dad is to me (and that J is the best husband anyone could ever have is a fact). I grabbed that chance with both hands to talk to her about something I had been thinking of for a long time. Respect in a relationship. Specially, a husband's respect for his wife. Which, in my opinion, is more or less absent in many relationships I have seen around me. The husbands love their wives alright, care about them and for them too. But they don't hold respect for their wives' opinions on "serious" matters. Some, I have seen, don't even respect their wives - period. For them, respect flows from wife to husband, not the other way round. Sure, equal marriages are on the rise and I have many more friends who will jump in and say their marriage is an equal relationship. And I will agree with them. I am just talking about the relationships I have been observing at close quarters.

So, I got talking to S about respect in a relationship and how she should expect nothing less. This, I think, is what ALL parents need to teach their daughters. EXPECT respect from your partner. If you don't get it, the relationship isn't right for you. I also had this conversation with S because just today I and a few blogger friends were discussing why professionally competent women, beautiful women, successful women stay in abusive relationships. In my opinion it is directly related to their self-esteem and, in some cases, lack of support from parents. I want S to understand that no relationship is bigger than her self-esteem and happiness. That there is, and should always be, a way out from an abusive relationship. Sometimes I worry that she might end up in an abusive relationship. Abuse doesn't always have to be physical. It can be verbal and emotional too - and that is why I stressed on the "respect" aspect of a relationship. If your partner respects you, he/she will not abuse you in any way. That is my simplistic theory. And I hope S never has/needs to test it.

I have a cousin who is in an abusive marriage. Many family members agree on it - even though they probably wouldn't categorize it as "abusive". And that is not because it isn't so, but because the definition of an "abusive relationship" is very blurred and confusing. Coming back to the cousin - I asked her younger sister why she doesn't walk out on the marriage? Sister says because she wants to give her daughters stability and doesn't want to subject them to a broken home. Also, because she gets almost no support from her dad. Her dad, my uncle, tells her to "adjust". I feel there is only a certain limit to which a person can, and should, adjust. I also think this is the cruelest thing Indian parents (mostly) do to their daughters. Telling them to adjust. How can a person ignore what their daughter is going through and just issue a blanket dictate to "adjust"? My blood boils at it. Parents have the DUTY to cultivate enough self-confidence in their daughters so that they don't stay stuck in an abusive relationship. I, personally, wouldn't even depend on my parents to get me out of an abusive relationship (unless I needed their help in getting out safely). I would end a relationship the minute it started bordering on abuse. And go out and make a life for myself and my kids. Support from my parents would be welcome and appreciated but I wouldn't depend on it. I guess that kind of attitude depends on two factors - a person's temperament and their support system, namely parents and other close family members. If my parents brought me up in a traditional way, I might have had the same mind set. But then the same cousin's sister walked out of her home and declared she was going to report her in-laws to the police for abuse. She had been having issues at her in-law's place too. Just the declaration brought her in-laws (and husband) back to their senses and now she lives with them minus the issues. Real sisters, same parents, same (non-existent) support system. Two different outcomes. So, it really does depend on the person too. This is what I want S to understand. That she will have options. And she will have J's and my support.

I told J about this conversation when we got home (and after S had gone to bed). He agreed that he would encourage S to walk out of a relationship if it got abusive. That we will teach her to place her safety and peace of mind above everything else. I pray that S and M find partners who really love and respect them. Another thought springs into my mind with this sentence. At a recent party, a friend commented that she just hopes her sons (she has two) bring home Indian girls. She meant to say she isn't going to be particular about caste or religion. Another said she just hopes they bring home a girl (she has two sons too). She doesn't care about caste, religion OR nationality. My question is - what if your child comes home and tells you he/she is gay? Personally, I just hope that my daughters find a loving partner. Frankly I'll blow my top if one of my daughters told me she doesn't want to go to college but I won't blink an eye if she informed me that she is a lesbian. Really. I have given it serious thought and I know how I feel. Looking at all the unequal and/or unhappy marriages around me, all I want is for my daughters to find partners who truly care about them. Who would love them, respect them and be their support when I am gone.

And I hope somewhere, someone is teaching their sons (and daughters) about respecting their life-partner too.

20 comments:

  1. Hello there... I so so so...agree with you.

    I hope boys are also getting this lesson to respect their partners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was very supportive of you. it instils a confidence in your girls which most households fail to provide. sometimes it is also the surroundings that create problems- even if the husband per se is ok it is the rest of the family that create trouble and incite the husband to trouble the wife. one should know how to distinguish and find a way out of such situations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you about the gay/ lesbian versus education thing. A and I talked about it a long time ago and we decided that turning down education would be a cause for concern in our minds, but as long as our kids were in loving relationships, we wouldn't care what gender/ race/ whatever their partners were from...And I like what you said to S about respect in a relationship - it's very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was a brave thing to do. And I feel it was a good thing to do too. I hope more moms of boys give them the complementary lesson to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) that was the last frontier. had that chat with the OA too. that even a same sex relationship doesnt bother us anymore. ....

    and u bet respect is the one thing they MUST demand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waiting: Thanks for dropping by. Yep - I sure hope other people are teaching their kids the same lessons. Specially the lesson about demanding respect. Specially parents of girls.

    Itchy: You are very right! I want to broach that subject with her too - but this time it was only about boyfriends/husbands. I don't want to overwhelm her with the concept of "big bad world" where abuse happens so easily.

    BEV: You too? I am glad to find someone else (well, MM too) who agrees on this.

    Suki: Thankee for the seal of approval, O' Little one! :D

    No, really. It does mean a lot to see a youngster's opinion on my views. It helps see things from a different perspective.

    MM: We are agreeing too much these days. NOT good for the environment and the global economy :P Maybe I should have bought the lottery ticket today - woulda definitely hit the jackpot :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. who are you?? :)
    my sister (the blogger - 'girl-next-door') sent me this link several weeks ago saying i have to read ur blog since u sound like my twin. she sent this again today and said that theres one more entry that reminded her of me.. i'm totally with u in all that u said. And i saw ur profile which said that u liked Ayn Rands Fountainhead. Thats my most favorite book as well.. was happy to read ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you 100%...on all counts. There are a lot of well educated Indian parents with well educated daughters who tell their daughters to 'adjust' and wil not support the daughter unless there's physical abuse involved. I know such people in my close family, who when the issue of 'respect' was mentioned said "respect etc sab maanne na maanne par hai"(being respected/not being respected is all in the mind of the reciever)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely agree with the respect and trust for each other...
    Nothing is more important than one's own happiness.

    But I also want them to know that it takes a lot of hard work and effort and some compromises for a good marriage.
    It shouldn't be that hard with the right person, but with all the "busy"ness and stress-levels, it just is at times!
    I guess as long as it is clear that "both" are working hard together and not one-sided, it's a healthy relationship.

    I know the kind of abuse you are talking about - the day in and day out kind - from everyone around including the husband...
    Most cases with the women not even realizing what's happening to their self-esteem and confidence until after the damage has been done!

    So back to basics - How to draw the line between a normal argument (that gets blown out of proportions) and downright disrespect or lack of trust? Think it will be easy for them to not confuse the two?
    I know it's a long ways for me to start worrying already, but I need to cultivate the independence and strong-will starting RIGHT NOW!!

    I UNDOUBTEDLY want my girls to stick to their guns and do what is right by them.
    Yet, I do not want them to end up getting hurt for nothing.

    As always, sorry for hogging up your space. and yup, that my sis-U's comment up there...
    Really, you must both have been twins in another life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Usha: Maybe we are "kumbh mele me bichhadi hui behane"? :D Do you blog? Would love to read your blog if you do, and if you don't mind sharing it with me. By the way - Welcome!!

    Naina: Doesn't it seriously tick you off? I mean, when important issues like this are just shrugged away as "naye zamane ki baaten" or your (mis)perception? I would like to see how the person reacts when YOU disrespect them and throw their dialogue back at them (sab mane ya na manne ki baatein hain). If I were you, I'd probably have tried that too :P Yup - I am reckless like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GND: "I know the kind of abuse you are talking about - the day in and day out kind - from everyone around including the husband..."

    EXACTLY! And women don't even realize it is abuse. Most times they start thinking they deserve it. Isn't it a very thin line ot teach your daughters to be compassionate, fair AND to value their well-being more than anythign else? You are so right - how do we teach them to make small compromises, have fair arguments and still stick to their guns when it comes to important stuff? How DO they know what's in which category? SO difficult! And PLEASE don't say sorry for the long comment. I live for these discussions!

    BTW, I am sorry I couldn't reply to your last comment on my KUMON post. CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter for clearing the level!! We are currently struggling with level G and S has mentioned a number of times that she finds it hard. I am going to let her more frequent breaks at this level than I have in previous levels. Planning to let her take a week long break in August end, then either one week each in October and December, or two weeks in December depending on what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you one hundred percent. You wrote it so truthfully is what appeals to me more. I don't have a daughter or a son yet but I am certain that if he/she, when he/she exists, were to bring home a same sex partner, it would make no difference to me at all. in fact, if they choose not to go to college, that wont affect me either. cuz if we raise 'em well enough to know that college is important, there is no way a kid would back out at adulthood.

    also ... wanted to mention

    that it's usually the kids of parents who tell u to 'adjust' who won't walk out of abusive marriages. people like us would walk out of them the day we get abused cuz we are not taught to 'adjust' or we taught ourselves to not 'adjust'. if all your lives, you've been taught that you have to adjust ... and when you are actually in a relationship where you have to adjust ... and your parents, your support system STILL continues to tell u to adjust, ... you end up trying to adjust. there seems no way out. parenting does play a huge role on how a child will turn out and you're doing an excellent job at it. good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the most valuble lesson we teach to our children...boy or girl. And I am glad that you grabbed the oppurtunity when it presented itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cee, such a wonderful post! I am so proud to 'know' you. This is something so good and so true, need to get it published for the junta at large. I personally feel that respect is central to each and every relationship, whether with self, family, teachers, students, colleagues, employers, employees- the entire gamut of social interaction.
    Love may be restricted to just a few, but respect should figure in every interaction.
    I like your take on abuse too. We need to instill self-esteem in our children, and ensure that no one is allowed to destroy or damage it.
    And yet be able to live with dissent. Total balancing act, no?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post. I am glad I read your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, Cee Kay. Raina wants to marry her best friend (a girl), and I haven't ever told her she can't. Because she can, now even legally! At least, in California...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I especially like the last bit, Cee. I think people put too many conditions on their children's happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are so sorted out cee. yup, respect comes before everything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi CeeKay,
    I regularly follow your blog.I agree with you that mutual respect is very important in any relationship,especially marriage.Talking about marriage,I would like to know your views with respect to money decisions when it comes to gifting family members on both sides.When we talk about respect,we mean that we take the other partner's views into consideration when taking decisions.Then why is it that the guy's family will be given a huge share and the girl's family a small one or maybe nothing at all.And this topic is not open for discussion with the hubby coz his response is"this is how it is,whether u like it or not!!".Don't the girl's parents spend money to educate her?Or should the girl earn the money and then be able to ask for her right to gift her parents?Shouldn't both sides be given equal gifts?lots of questions.Or should the girl be grateful that her hubby is so nice to atleastthink of getting gifts for his in-laws?your post just got me to put on my thinking cap..

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?