Thursday, July 17, 2008

Facing my demons

I recently started haunting visiting this site after reading a few articles linked by other bloggers. I liked what I read so I visit this site more often now. Today I read this and it just called out to me. I felt this urge to blog about it and that is strange because it is the most difficult topic for me to discuss at the moment.

I have mentioned my struggles with my weight a few times here. I can no longer take jokes about my weight lightly and get upset at J if he cracks jokes about it. Earlier, when I didn't have a "real" weight problem, it didn't bother me if someone made fun of how "the earth shook when I walked" or how "all oranges in Nagpur fell down from the trees because I jumped down from the train on to the platform in Indore". Yes, now I realize that these jokes were in bad taste even then, but they didn't bother me this much back then. Because I knew they were jokes, not facts.

Recently a friend wrote an email to me after seeing pictures of M's first birthday party. After the first few customary sentences about how pretty the girls were and how nice the house looked, she dropped the bomb. "You have really blown up", she said. She said she knows it is not that easy but I "should make some efforts to get back to normal". It really got my goat. First of all, she doesn't know that I put on a whopping 20+ pounds due to IVF alone. Second, she assumed I am doing nothing about it. And third, she implies I am not "normal" right now. She even had the gall to mention that even though she is not exactly slim and trim "par kahne me kya jaata hai?". Means because she is a bit lighter than me, she can give me any advice? Without going into the details of how and why? I don't know what a correct way of broaching this subject with a friend would be. Or IF there is one. But she could have politely enquired before offering advice.

I wrote back to her saying "As for blowing up, I have had multiple IUIs, two IVFs and a baby in the last two years. What is your excuse?". I think it might hurt her feelings. I hope it does. I am tired of being polite to insensitive people. Of explaining why I didn't breastfeed, why I went in for IVF, why I tried so hard for a second baby, why I couldn't have a normal delivery, why - even though I am obviously so fat - couldn't I breastfeed my daughter (this was back when I had S).... I am tired. And now I don't care if my answer hurts you or leaves you dissatisfied or dumbfounded. You know what? None of your effing business!

So this article that I have linked to, talks about how we pass on our weight issues to our kids. It is true. Not only about weight issues, but also about other health issues. A friend, whose husband is severely diabetic, watches her sons' diets closely - more closely than necessary. They are active, healthy kids. But only she can understand the terror she must have felt when her husband was first diagnosed with diabetes during her first pregnancy. So yes - the health issues that we face do affect how we deal with them in front of, or in context of, our children.

Recently, during the "confession bouts" that S was suffering from, she admitted that she feels embarrassed about my weight. Ashamed is a more correct word. I can't explain how that hit me in the gut. I could hardly speak. I couldn't even be upset at her. I didn't want to saddle her with my sob stories about the IVF and the stress and other things. But I wanted her to understand I was not sitting on my hands, doing nothing about my weight. I wanted her to understand that there is a healthy way to lose weight and an unhealthy way too. I wanted to get it across to her that no matter what weight I was at, I was still the same person inside. How do I get all this across to a 9 year old who was already hugely guilt ridden about this sentiment of hers? I didn't. I do intend to bring it up in conversations every now and then. I have already started doing so.

I have to admit I have, on more than one occasion, wondered about taking the easy route to losing weight - eat what I want and then chuck it all out in the bathroom. Believe me, at my weight, when I am worrying about diabetes, heart disease, cancer and early death, this thought is very easy to come across. And very tempting. But thankfully, MY mom drummed more sense into me regarding this than most moms in her times did. Thanks to her, I have understood from an early age, how important it is to get proper nutrition and to lose weight by exercising and not by starving. I remember the many conversations she had with me over this topic. Never judging or dictating - just listing facts, explaining concepts. I hope to pass on the same knowledge to my daughter. I just hope that I can make as lasting an impression on her as my mom did on me.

One thing is for sure - even though I am not happy with the weight I am at, I am not ashamed of it. For the first time in my life, I have stopped sucking in my belly before walking into a room full of people. I know I am making efforts. I know how tough it is to fit in exercise - specially with the kind of routine and lives we have. But I know I am doing something. I have even made peace with the fact that I might develop diabetes if I don't lose weight in time. You know what? If that happens, unfortunate as it might be, I will deal with it. I will manage it. In the meantime, I am making healthy efforts and am sure I will get there someday.

These days I worry about our upcoming (planned) trip to India. I try to imagine what different frinds and relatives will say to me about my weight. I am dreading our trip for that reason. I am preparing "comebacks". I know it will be mentioned how J and his brother don't ever get "fat" while the two DILs have piled on kilos. I had relatives asking me during my pregnancy how "fat" I'd become. Not "how much weight I'd put on" (not that THAT was any of their business either) but how FAT I had become. I have friends asking me "how much do you weigh now?" when we call them to wish them a happy diwali/holi/birthday/whatever. I really don't understand this excessive obsession Indians have with other people's weight. Here, every time I mention my frustration regarding my weight, my American colleagues reassure me that I will get to a healthy weight in time and not to lose sight of the fact that I did just deliver a baby. I wonder why no one in my family or friend circle realilzes that? I could use a little more support.

Well, I do have support. J fully supports and encourages me. He provides encouragement, not pressure. I am lucky to have that. Some women don't even have that. I have seen men pushing their wives to diet or berate them for their weight. Not J. I don't think I could deal with that. I think God gives us only what we can deal with. In my case I got a husband who understands and respects me. God knows I wouldn't have tolerated a man who didn't.

16 comments:

  1. First of all, it's very normal to gain weight during pregnancy, more so because you've had IVF. Most women take at least two years or more to shed thr pregnancy pounds and get back to their prepregnancy weight. It's just been a year for you, so no matter what stupid and insensitive people say, don't let it get to you.

    Also explain to S that your weight gain is because of the baby and it happens with everyone. With the healthy food habits and exercise regimen you're following, you'll see results - just keep at it and don't give up.

    And it's easy to worry about passing on one's conditions to one's children. But again, any weight gain you've had is due to IVF and pregnancy. Just ignore stupid comments and go at it the 'hard' way - from what I've come to know of you as a person, you're not one to take the easy way out coz you're a fighter and a winner. I for one will be rooting for you all the while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what you're doing is the perfect way to deal with this, right? And babe, you do not have an eating disorder so there is nothing to pass on - just your great attitude of losing the weight the right way... maybe you could keep S updated about how you are going about it and the progress as well. And as for what other people say, sticks and stones and all that jazz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy lifestyle (exercising, balanced diet et all...) will give you the returns... :)

    and we indians are known to be the nosier lot. take it easy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hugs, Cee! I have the specter of diabetes hanging over me too as both hubby and I have family history of it and am worried abt P's health. Which is why he has been going for swimming lessons for the past two years and more sports from this summer.

    But me? Am doing sod all! Just moaning and groaning abt it. Not now - before you hasten to remind me of my preggie state but even before!! So I fully applaud your efforts in trying to shift those pounds. Lord knows it isn't easy, with being a working mum of 2 girls etc. But hang in there pal and you can do it.

    One thing I really admire you for is your courage of spirit - the way you say "I am not ashamed of my weight". That is many people's undoing - the fact that they are ashamed of their looks hampers their progress. As long as you are comfortable in your skin, you can do great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dreading a visit to India for presicely the same reasons. I gained weight because I wasn't careful when I first came here and have been trying to lose weight since. It is so difficult. I realized how sensitive I am of the issue when I refused to pose for photos that might potentially be seen by folks back home.
    Everytime someone says something, I think of all the good qualities I have and how miserable the people who comment have to be to just look at my weight. It is absolutely narcissistic and nasty, but it helps. Good nutrition and exercise will get me back to my regular weight, but till then I will just use my wit and sarcasm.

    As for talking to S, maybe you both can arrange some time together like walking in the morning or evening depending on schedules. You can help her understand about the whole process. It will give her a chance to learn about biology and everything. Hope the hugs help :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how much stuff I have written about weight and my love affair with it. You are absolutely right:
    1. Its not about how you look but about the person you are. That is the lesson your daughter is lucky to learn from you.
    2. If everybody weighed the same/ was thin - the world would be infintely boring!
    3. Health should always be the primary reason to lose weight - not vanity.
    4. Exercise not starvation.
    5. It is no ones business but yours.
    6. That woman is not your friend.

    You have the right attitude. And that is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argh... Indian mentality! I hope you get see past all this and keep at it... You have the right attitude and will power. I am sure S will see through it as well. Three cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. u know... i've barely gained 5 kilos after marriage.. but every relative tells me "u've become quite fat, haan"... and this includes my mom. and these are the same ppl who used to say "eat something! u're anorexic" when i was in india. it's irritating.

    u know u're doing what's right. keep the faith. and keep at it. being healthy is of utmost importance. and u're trying it. u will lose the weight someday.
    ignore the morons. seriously. i think u reacting would make them happier. why give them the pleasure of knowing they affect ur life?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ceekay: you might have seen this. its a very cool site and I like the way she handles weight issues.

    http://kateharding.net/

    As for your daughter, maybe you could remind her about gorgeous women like Jennifer Hudson and Queen Latifah and Beyonce (who is definitely NOT overweight but has a nice curvy body). And tell her about all those fabulous opera singers who are all overweight and sing like angels. Its horrid though, isn't it, when they internalize stupid white American norms?? My five year old niece came home depressed one day insisting she wanted to be blonde.

    Keep up the good work i.e. exercise and good nutrition, I'm sure you'll see results in fitness levels if not in actual weight lost. And seriously, all those friends and relatives who inquire about your weight? Fuck 'em. In fact, you could use your weight to advantage to play the Seriously Intimidating Diva!!

    n!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will get there. The best strategy for ignoring people who want to get a rise out of you, IGNORE. You should not have replied to her first mail. Silence speaks loudly and if they don't see the hint, their loss. I don't think you should go down at their level and engage in a shooting match. Sorry I am being so blunt.

    About indian family and friends being obsessed abt weight, I think indian families are obsessed about EVERYTHING. My favorite response? Its my genes. Some people are genetically predisposed to be thin, some not, despite having similar diets and activity levels.

    That being said, kudos to efforts you are doing, but try and find a long term solution, lifestyle solution. Can you survive on salads all your life? because if you start eating roti-subzi once you are at desired weight, the pounds are going to pile up again. Its not easy to shed unwanted weight. As for S, why don't both of you go shopping and pick out outfits for you that she likes? I am glad you are telling her about healthy/unhealthy ways of loosing weights. Too many anorexics out there! sorry about the looong comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. first things first - HUGS!!
    you came to the right folks!
    It doesn't hurt to tell you one more time that you are doing the right thing with the right attitude!
    the comments about losing weight are equally horrible (in India)! my sis-U has lost all of her preggo weight and she couldn't stand everyone asking her if everything's ok and if she's eating well ALL THE TIME!
    one thing that she advised me is that when others comment, to simply leave the room without an answer. Just walk out (maybe with a smile)!
    Nothing like a silent comeback!
    (i know, easier said than done)!

    anyways, You seem to be on top of it and people who make these comments never attempt to understand even if you try to explain (ivf, preggo)...and your friend was prolly taking it out on you!
    (my colleague's sister was taking it out on her about being "pale" and "skinny" after her weight-gain during pregnancy - my colleague apparently has been that way her entire life - did the sister just notice it NOW??)
    You have such great values and you won't pass anything less to S.
    We're all here rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Cee,
    I totally understand the questioning without regard to privacy that goes on in trips to India. Especially with such a sensitive topic, I'd be equally reluctant to go too.
    Do you feel the barb more because you *yourself* are uncomfortable with your weight ? If you felt more balanced, if this was not such a sensitive topic, would you be able to deal with the barbs better ?
    I don't know if this will work for you, but during my last trip (last November) if I had someone ask me personal qs, I'd just very calmly tell them that I was really uncomfortable talking about it. It always invariably was followed by "how much you've americanized" etc from the said relatives, but that's just nuisance stuff - nothing to sweat about.
    Honestly, I think (from your blog) that your a great person, and am rooting for you to get back to a healthy weight at your own pace. Also know that as a friend and person, your weight does not matter to me at all. Nor should it matter to anyone other than your family.
    Also, the very fact that you worry about passing ideas on to your kids shows you are a conscientious mother. In my opinion, those who don't worry (and are usually far too sure of themselves) are usually the ones who are totally clueless *grin*
    Chin up, and good luck.

    Priya.
    p.s. in the interest of full disclosure, I have a similar issue with my tummy - which I imagine has been stretched beyond the normal bounds of elasticity and is now beyond redemption. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazingly honest post Cee! Ignore the people who mean it in a nasty way like everyone else has suggested.

    About the weight loss, you already are on such an active schedule - try incorporating simple steps in ur daily schedule - steps instead of escalator as much as possible, parking the car far from the grocery store and then walking with groceries to it briskly, dancing with the girls?! and the likes. I can see you are doing a lot already and u'll soon be there. I am a part of your cheerleading team :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. CeeKay - I think you're a brave woman, doing a great job with your daughters.

    A small thing - kids are always ashamed about something. if its not your weight, its the food we serve, its the way we speak.. something.

    so dont let S's statement and your friend's statement combine and bother you so much.

    going back to your friend - she is STILL your friend, even if she is insensitive or rude. I realise that there's just a section of us who take it badly. otherwise Indians feel quite happy talking abt weight and personal issues.

    I dont know if its right to say that its a bad thing to do - its simply a way of life. people are personal. it extends to many spheres of their lives.

    not excusing it and saying you have to accept it. you are right in replying back pointing out that you are hurt.

    just saying, dont let that affect the friendship.

    as for the weight - you are trying hard. dont try too hard. reach your healthy weight and if you feel good, stay there. as dottie says - you cant spend ur life eating salad. so work it into you lifestyle and let it be.

    for what its worth - i think you look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I don't even know where to begin. I think I have to write a post on the matter to get it all out.

    That said...as a previous comment mentioned children are always embarrassed about something in their families.

    Explaining to S that the weight gain is due to the IVF and Ms. M is a good start. The most important lesson though is to teach our children that people and beauty come in all shapes and sizes. Short, tall, fat, thin, dark, light, etc etc etc. You can always find something beautiful about about a person if you try hard enough.

    As a very large individual myself with a teenage daughter I suppose I have a little insight to offer. Love yourself first. Period. Take care of yourself: you already are, you know what to do, you are intelligent and educated.

    When someone says something like "Wow you have gotten fat, Why are you so fat, You should do X." You reply with thank you for your concern but you have hurt my feelings. They will feel very dumb. Remember that you do not owe anybody any explanation about anything.

    OK off to write that post now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. New post up :) This one's for you girl.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?