Raksha bandhan came and went. I missed my brother and I am sure he did too because he called me to chat on that day. He even fought with me (kinda!) that I didn't send him his favorite laddoos that I send him on Rakhi every year. He was in Hyderabad on Rakhi and I thought I'd send the laddoos later when he gets back home. We are very close and love each other deeply (NO sibling rivalry here, whatsoever) and this post is NOT about him. This post is about my other "brothers", whom I have been sending rakhis diligenlty every year.
In addition to sending rakhi for my brother, I also (used to) send rakhis to three cousins and a college friend whom I considered a brother. I have always believed in starting only what I can continue so I limited myself in creating "Rakhi Band Bhais".
Now, my parents always taught me to never expect anything in return for my rakhis. Not even "Rakhi-bandhai" (the gift a brother gives to his sister when she ties a rakhi on his wrist). Specially never from my brother since he is younger than me. As an older sister I believe it is my privilege to give and his to receive. So this rant isn't about not receiving that either.
This rant is basically about lack of manners on my so-called brothers' behalf. I never missed even one Rakshabandhan. I always sent them rakhis and a packet of sweets or chocolates EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I even went a little bit further for one of these cousins (N). For some reasons I don't have the time or inclination to enumerate, my husband's parents didn't want to have anything to do with this cousin or his family. Even under those circumstances, I told my husband I will not let go of my relations with my brother. He had been a pillar of support during my stay with his parents' when I was doing my Master's. Beginning of digression: As I fleetingly mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I tolerated shitty behaviour from his parents for THREE LONG YEARS just so I could complete my Master's. Why I didn't move into a hostel is another story in itself, which I might write about some day. End of digression. So, for three years, I and J would leave the house on some pretext on the day of Rakshabandhan and go to this cousin's house so I could tie rakhi on his wrist. When we came to the US, I no longer needed to lie to maintain this relationship. I still sent him rakhis every year along with a packet of sweets. It has been 8 years. Never once did I receive an email or phone call from him telling me that he received those rakhis and sweets. This year I said "enough is enough" and didn't send him any. His wife must have mentioned this to his mom (my mother's elder sister) who asked Ma if I forgot to send him rakhi. I am waiting for this question to be asked directly so I can tell them the reason.
I stopped sending rakhis to another cousin of mine (lets call him A) who is also in India and who is about 11 years younger to me. Every time I sent him rakhis, his sister (lets call her N) would write me an email telling me that the rakhi and sweets had been received. I even asked her to stop writing these emails and let A inform me. But N never stopped and A never wrote. Then 3 years back, I happened to call them just after Rakshabandhan and while talking to A (who sounded bored) over the phone, I asked him if he received the rakhis to which his reply was "Oh that? Yes I did." When I asked him why he didn't inform me of the receipt, he said "But my mom just told you!". That infuriated me - I don't know I might have over-reacted but right then I decided I was not sending rakhis to any "brothers" who didn't appreciate them. So I stopped sending rakhis to A and to this day he has never bothered to ask me why I stopped.
I still kept sending rakhis to my other cousin about whom I wrote earlier in this post but this year, I decided I didn't want to keep dragging another relationship singlehandedly so I didn't send him any rakhi/sweets this year. I don't think he is going to miss it either. And that hurts me. I never expected anything in return from these brothers of mine except a phone call or an email telling me that they had received my rakhis. They didn't have the time or feelings to do even that much. It has been painful cutting these ties - but I guess only for me.
Only my third cousin (D) cares enough to call me every Rakshabandhan and talk to me. And, as I said earlier - my brother. And the third "cousin" is not even a cousin. He is my dad's best friend's son. I call him my cousin because the way he cares for me sure feels like he is.
As for my friend from college whom I used to consider my brother - same sad story. He NEVER acknowledged the receipt of my rakhi. Even when we were living in the same city. And HE was the one who brought a rakhi for me to tie on his wrist for the first time, I wouldn't even have started the tradition until I was sure we both wanted it. He even disappeared on one rakhi even though he knew I was waiting for him at his home. His wife, who is also a dear friend from college days, would make excuses for him. That is another thing that grates on my nerves. In all these cases, a woman - a wife, a sister, a mother - covered for these grown-up "boys". No one ever thought about making them realize that it was their duty to atleast let me know they had received the rakhis. That irritates me no end. My cousins, A and N, were "precious boys" among a long line of girls (so was my brother for that matter, but he turned out differently because of our parents) and therefore were very spoiled. Matter for another post.
So now I am going to declare it openly - if you want my rakhis, you better be prepared to acknowledge the receipt. That is the least you can do. You should do.
Note: This year, since my mom is here, we sent rakhis on her behalf to my "mama" (her brother) and another cousin of hers. BOTH of them called to tell her that they had received the rakhi and mithai. My mom has been luckier than me where brothers are concerned. Hers care for her. :(
Sigh, at times I wonder if people need Emily Post's etiquette guide..
ReplyDeleteYou know, until the hubby started doing well, I was the one covering up for him and sending gifts to his sisters, now that he is splashing around generously he does so himself...and not once have I got any credit for those lost years from either side...
ReplyDeleteGGOP: Yes, they do! It is sad how many people don't think of acknowledging the receipt of a gift!
ReplyDeleteKarmicKids: Here its not a matter of being able to afford it - I am not asking for gifts. All I am asking for is a phone call or email telling me that they received the rakhi. But I get your side of the coin too - your eforts in keeping the peace (and making them feel special) should have been recognized.
I think you made the right decision by stopping the rakhis. They were clearly not appreciated. I send rakhis to all my cousins except one mainly because he is much younger than me and I have only met him a few times. My mom was saying to me this rakhi that he would feel bad that he wasn't included. I had to remind her I was 28 and that she had to let me make my own decision. It's more like her brother would be upset that I didn't tie a rakhi to his son. But really it's all about the relationship not the relation, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I have sent a rakhi from Squiggles side to her second cousin in the hope that maybe through this connection they will make an effort to stay in touch when they grow up. And his mom makes an effort by sending return gifts too not for gifts sake but to remind her child about the relation till they grow up and can decide whether they value it.
The one year I decided not to send raakhees since mine have also never been acknowledged, the cousins mentioned it to my mother! They never ever acknowledge its presence, but the absence is noticed, for sure.
ReplyDeleteHowever, on the rare occasions that we do meet, since I've rarely been in the same town as them since I got married, they are all as sweet and loving as ever. So I have accepted the situation as it is. But yes, it is annoying.
Wonder why people dont atleast acknowledge receipt of things when they easily find the time to complain to the whole world if a thing does not reach on time... Sigh..
ReplyDeleteTell me about it. My mother emotionally blackmails me when I say I'm going to stop sending them to cousins to don't even bothe toacknowledge - so I end up sending them anyway...
ReplyDeleteThis is a strange thing actually... I have seen so many who make it seem like they are doing the sisters a great honour by wearing their rakhis. I dont know why the sisters even bother. I am sure you are doing the right thing.
ReplyDeleteo thats just menfolk for you. They expect the women to tkae care of these 'finer' aspects as hubby calls it. bah!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd you're not worse off - if these men dont miss the rakhi. Your bro and your friend deserve that silk thread that you tie....
:( some people are just not worth it...and these symbols...lie rakhi and all..better done when they mean something..othewrwise is just a formality
ReplyDeleteMy brother just told me pointblank one year that he didn't want it (I forget why). Since then, I've stopped. I know he receives rakhis from other girls, and perhaps he would like one from me too but I'm not starting again until he comes out and asks me to.
ReplyDeleteSo what I do is, I try to call him over for a meal. Both egos satisfied!
Kiran -- They don't think it's something worth mention. What else is a sister-in-law there for?
ReplyDeleteI hate almost all of mine, they've been very bitchy to me at times. :)
I agree with your decision. What's the point of sending it when they don't care at all? In my family most cousins are sweet , the ones that are closer to my age are like close friends the ones that are too young or too old are not that close. But when we are in the same town for Rakhi, I tie rakhis to them otherwise I don't bother sending rakhi's. What'the point of doing it as a formality? Fortunately for me my own brother has been in in the US and in town for the last couple of Rakhi's so we re-started the tradition that was halted when i moved here. Of course we spoke always spoke , emailed and were close , I just din't bother with a rakhi because of logistics...if it reaches after rakhi then i wouldn't want him to be forced to wear it in order to show his love for his sister etc.
ReplyDeleteAnyway no point to this ramble so I'm stopping.