Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Krazy Kays & their Knack for Krazy Knicks

Heh! Couldn't think of a "kornier" title :D

I thought I was tagged by someone to list all the silly (and embarrassing, in our case) nick names that we have given to our kids but patrolled the blog sphere up and down three times and still couldn't find the "tagger". So I am taking up the tag on my own because I just loved the idea (of publicly embarrassing my children)!! But if there is someone who indeed tagged me for this, please own up and appropriate credits shall be given!

Mitthi (translated to Punjabi, means "sweet") and Ninni (means "sleep" in kidspeak and can be taken as a twisted form of "naani" meaning "little" in Gujarati) are their “official” nick names. Simple, sweet and harmless. Then I also call S “Sweetie Mitthi Pie” and Mitthi Mouse while Ninni gets called by the nick "Cheeni* Ninni Pie" and Ninni The Pooh (created by big sis). Their Kaka (dad's bro) calls them “Dudu” and dadi has reserved the name “Ghappoodi” :D

* Cheeni: Sugar

Other nick names I use for them are – “Koochie koo” and Chikoo which has now turned into “Chika Mika Pika”. Then there is Sweetums, Jhagdoo (someone who fights a lot), Jhagdoo-Magdoo (you can see my penchant for rhyming here, can’t you? :D Another rarely used but embarrassing name is “Susu-Potty Baba” which came from the fact that this is what they did most of the time during the first three months of their life :P The credit goes to their dad.

Now on to the reeeally embarrassing nick names. There is a story behind them so I will narrate it first. Without it, those nicks just won’t make sense. When we were newly married, one day I called J “Sadela Gubrela” (Rotten beetle). Now J has a knack for playing with words. He can transform the sweetest, most innocent word into something wacky and funny in an instant. So pat came the reply “Sadeli Goo Bhareli”. To those unfamiliar with the middle classy word, it means poop (literally) and the last word means “full of” in Gujarati. So “sadela Gubrela” became “Sadela Goo Bharela” and then we applied this nick name to S (Poor, poor kid! Now you understand why I am saving for her therapy?) She is a good sport and didn’t throw a fit when we explained the meaning to her when she was old enough to understand. When M came home from the hospital, S very generously decided to share that nick name with her. She said she will keep the first part (“Sadeli") for herself, and generously hand over the second part (Goo Bhareli) to her little sis. Only, she mistakenly said “Goo Dhareli” instead of “Goo Bhareli" thanks to her broken Hindi. Now, I might not have the knack for witty/wacky names, but I do have a knack for translating ones that don’t have an apparent meaning. So I translated the second one as “Sitting like a poop” ( I know, I know – this post shouldn’t even have seen the light of the day) as “Dhareli” in Gujarati can be loosely translated to “dumped” in some instances. So now we have a Goo Bhareli and a Goo Dhareli in our house. And S has now generously donated “Sadeli/Sadela” to her mom and dad.

Remind me to start a savings account for M’s therapy too, will you?

Edited to add: S has made up a song with the most embarrassing nick name for M. It goes like this -
Ninni, Ninni, Bahut Sadeli
Also known as Goo Dhareli

(Yup! She got the genes!!!)

19 comments:

  1. This was fun to read. I used to call my son also “Koochie koo".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what names..sadela??You must be thankful that Ninni doesn't yet know what that means...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Lovely- our revenge for all the weird names we must have been called!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha....I just cracked up at the song...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I am sure the kids are going to pass it on to their kids too! Genes you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!! I'm rolling about laughing!!!! I love your nicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't stop laughing. precious nicks you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - those some really creative (if somewhat wierd :)) nicknames...

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahaah... am laughing my arse off, and yawning like the very devil at the same time!
    Awesomely awful nicknames you have there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny. My daughter is Mini-me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RJ: I think "Koochie Koo" has been around for quite some time. My mom used to call me and my brother that too!

    Timepass: LOL! I am hoping she will turn out to be a good sport like her big sister and learn to take the ribbing in her stride.

    Dipali: Actually, I never had any nick names apart from one or two that my mom affectionately gave me so I was always determined that I was going to give my kids nick names just to make them feel that little bit extra-special (not that these kind of names would generate any such feelings :D)

    ~nm: I do too - she sings it in a hilarious fashion!

    Unmana: J is. Actually his family is Kutchi but his father prefers to speak gujarati at home.

    Anumita: Long time no see!! Yes I sure hope my daughters pass on the good humor genes.

    MM: I remembered a few more but nothing as spectacular as "Sadeli Goo Bhareli" :P

    Dotmom: Can't say my daughters will find the latter ones precious :P I might even get a tongue lashing if anyone from my husband's family ever read this post :D

    Rohini: Weird? Yes we are a very weird family :D You should hear the things we tease S about :O)

    Suki: "Awesomely awful" - good way to describe these :D

    Lumi: I always like "Mini-me" :) I am sure my daughters will disown me if they ever read this post :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. ROFL! nice going, GTN! I saw the 'Goo Bhareli' and even before you translated it, I went - oh shit! ;) I think rbdans was the one who tagged you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. :-) That was a fun post !

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL. Even S is taking revenge by using creative names for M. Poor M!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi ceekay, thanks for your comment. glad to see the general consensus is to let kids test the water when they're ready - where it doesn't involved electrical outlets ofcourse!
    hilarious nicks btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been saying this at a lot of blogs now... you do realise they will all grow up hating our blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kodi's Mom: LOL! I checked but RBDans tagged me for something else. (RBDans and NainaAshley: I know you guys have tagged me. I will complete them, I promise. I just need some time. OK, a LOT of time. But I WILL do it)

    2 B's mommy: Thanks. Am glad to have been able to provide some entertainment though I am sure S and M won't find this funny in the least bit when (and if) they find out. :D

    NainaAshley: Yes, we lead our kids by example. Can you imagine the fate of our third child if we ever decide to have one? :D

    Mona: Thanks for dropping in Mona. I know you are busy with Hana too. Do you have any funny nicks for her?

    Squiggles Mom: Poor kid, indeed! I am sure these kids have therapy in their future :P

    NainaAshley: I know, I know. Will complete it soon - I promise. Thanks for the tag - I LOVE 'em!

    Sue: I know! And that is why we are already saving for their therapy (I have mentioned this umpteen times on my blog, methinks!) Hopefully we will be able to afford all the therapy they'll need :D
    Thursday, 20 September, 2007

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?