Yesterday, after a long time, I spent some mother-daughter time with my daughter. This was while we were walking home from a park. And we (well she – because I was just listening) charted her whole career in that 15 minute walk. It went like this -
S (My daughter): You know, I don’t want to be a doctor. I want to be a teacher.
I : Well that is a good career choice too.
S: Yes. And being a doctor is such hard-work!
I: Every job requires hard work. Even teachers work very hard.
S: I am going to have a BIG, GIANT house. And I will run my school in it. (After thinking a little) And you know what? My husband can have his office in one of the rooms too.
I (Thinking): Huh? When did HE come into the picture? (Out aloud) Yes!!
S: I think I will teach the Kindergarten class. No! I’ll teach the first graders.
I: That should be loads of fun.
S: What will the kids do when I take a day off?
I: You can have a substitute teacher come in then.
S: Maybe we could call Miss Kelly. (Miss Kelly was her first grade teacher)
I: Can I teach in your school too?
S: You can. But won’t you be dead by then?
You can depend on kids to ask such innocent whammers of questions :) I told her that I plan to be around for a long, long time and that I am not going anywhere till I am a hundred and fifty! But this is what even I worry about many times – what if I am not around to watch my daughter grow up to be a fine woman that I know she will be. That will be the biggest heartbreak for me – if you understand what I am saying.
Oh, this is so sweet. :) I am glad she doesn't think of death in a morbid fashion. And where does she learn these things?
ReplyDeleteHow cute !!!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet.
ReplyDeleteYou're daughter WILL grow up to be a fine young woman and a part of your presence will always be in her life. No use worrying about things that are not in your control.
P.S. I need an e-mail address for the exchange. You can e-mail me at Mint_Chutney@yahoo.com
thats cool.how old is ur daughter??
ReplyDeleteThat's so cute! Don't you worry, you ll be around to play with your grandchildren, and teach them hindi and then get them married!
ReplyDeleteFirst time here...thru Sunrayz.
ReplyDeleteYour daughter is so funny! How old is she?
Thank you everyone, for the comments.
ReplyDeleteAnurag: I don't know where she learns these things from. As I said in one of my previous posts - I think she is consulting someone on the sly for parenting advice (and "attitude adjustments" towards life's serious matters, now I think)
Mint, Anumita: Thanks for the reassurances. I needed them!
Abhishek, Sinusoidally: Thanks for dropping by. She is turning 7 at the end of next month.
Sorry Rat - didn't mean to leave you out! Thanks for dropping by.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute and LOL.
ReplyDeleteSure would have stumped you, I guess, but your li'l one (bless her) finds the whole thing very matter of fact!
But yes, our mortality becomes a cause of thought once we become mothers, doesn't it?