This is difficult to write about, but I think I must - for my own peace of mind. I need to get this load off my mind.
When my father passed away quite unexpectedly a little over two years ago, and I rushed to be by my mother 's side, a little thought loomed large in my mind. I wanted to be as much a part of my father's final rites as my brother would be. I wanted to go to the "shmashan", and not stay at home, like women are supposed to. I wanted to do what girls in our society are not allowed to, normally. I wanted to do at least that much for my dad. I knew I would face comments and resistance from outsiders but I was determined not to pay attention to them. I was determined I will be a part of my father's last rites.
People would have stopped me - but I don't care about them anyway. Their words wouldn't have mattered. My brother didn't mind. His wife, whom I came to love with all my heart during those days, encouraged me and promised me she would defend my right to do so if I wanted to do it. I don't know how my mother would have reacted, because I never asked her. I have a suspicion that my father might have frowned upon it because he was like that - he worried about "society" sometimes. Other family members might have tried to dissuade me from going, but they didn't matter. The only ones who mattered were my brother, his wife and my mother.
When the time came for the funeral procession to proceed, I copped out.
First I said I wanted to be by my mother's side for support. I really did mean it. My brother's wife said she would stay with my mom so I can go. Then I said I didn't want to go because I wouldn't be able to stand seeing my dad going up in flames. Somewhere in my heart, I also dreaded the confrontation that would ensue with all assorted friends and family telling me not to go. They were already trying to dictate what I should or shouldn't do. I was told not to touch anything in the kitchen because I "didn't belong to this family anymore". I was told not to touch the diya that would be lighted in front of my dad's picture in the evening. My sister-in-law stood fast by me and stubbornly had me do everything that I was told not to do. Her point? "No one can ever say that you are not a part of this family. You are as much a part of this family now as you were before you got married". It was then that I truly fell in love with that girl. But that is another post.
Where was I? Ah! Confrontation. Don't get me wrong - I didn't mind the confrontation. I just didn't want to create any more grief for my mother. I was afraid the confrontation would hurt her if she thought I was disrespecting my dad's wishes. My brother and his wife respected my wishes and didn't force me one way or another after that. These days I often wonder if I stayed back because I had a valid reason or because was a chicken. I can't decide. One regret that I do have is that I could have gone with my brother and been a support for him, and I lost that chance. He'd had a knee surgery just days before and could hardly walk, leave alone climb any stairs, which I believe he had to do that day. Our cousins went with him so he wasn't alone. But I still wonder if it would have made any difference for him if I had gone.
I still regret that decision. It wasn't an earth shattering decision but every time I think about how I have defied the societal norms in many matters, I remember this one occasion when I bowed to them. But I am still confused over whether I should have gone or not. I didn't want to go just to make a point. I am beyond that stage in life where I would want to do something just because society doesn't approve or because I want to show people that women can do whatever they set their minds to. I know I can do whatever I set my mind to and that is enough for me - I don't need to demonstrate that to others.
I made the choice to not go because I had the choice. My brother didn't have a choice. THAT is what bothers me the most. I copped out because I had a choice but I should have sucked it up and been there for my brother who had no choice but to go through the heart wrenching moments on his own. I am sorry for that.
First time commenting here. I can relate to what you say here. Am sure if you had gone you would still have debated if the confrontation was worth it. I think in moments like these, we tend to take the path of least resistance, not just for us but keeping in mind the context of the decision.
ReplyDeleteRetrospective is dangerous. It was probably the best thing to do under those circumstances as your mind decided then. Don't beat yourself over it.
ReplyDeleteLR is bang on! I think there is no right or wrong about it. You were free to exercise a choice and you did. And well, I guess we still have some 'social conditioning' in our bones and will soon get past!
ReplyDeleteI think the mom argument is a strong one. She was the one left behind so she needed you more than your dad did. And the arguments with the relatives would have added to her grief. So yes, IMHO, you did the right thing. So stop beating yourself over it. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteHi, first time here and this post kinda means a lot to me timing wise.
ReplyDeleteI lost my dad 3 years back this month. this whole month is difficult for me.I didnt even think about going with my brother. i just can't get rid of the image of my dad slowly disapperaing in front of my eyes when they took him from home for the last rites. It was extremely hard for people to take me back home and had i been there, my heart would've burst seeing him go up the flames. My uncles went with my brother and when my brother came back he told me later that night how heart wrenching it was when he had to do that. I dont think my presence would've mattered to him at that second. I dont think i would've been of any support at that moment. From what i read here, i believe you were your daddy's girl just like me and i dont think you would've been able to take it. That said, i am really sorry for your loss too. I am able to feel the same pain that i have, in your post.
Dont think too much about it now. Its gone and over with. And its perfectly alright if you wanted to go to the cremation. Just relax and take it easy please. Don't let it bother you.
ReplyDeleteI strongly believe that when we so badly want to do something and choose not to at the very last minute, then there is a intuitive reason to it and all things happen for the best. So what you did I feel worked out for the good :)
ReplyDeleteYou are overthinking a non-issue and being too harsh on yourself. There's no reason why you should not instead be focusing your energy on http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=7c5b394b-d7b7-486a-ac9a-316256a7b0ee and http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/beers/pale.cfm
ReplyDeleteFinally you did what you wanted to.
ReplyDeleteIf you had gone this post might have been about not being with you mom.
Sandhya
Sigh. Hugs dear. I agree with Life refactored. We're always doing the best we can, and looking back later in a different time and situation (even if its just months later)...regret and guilt doesn't help.
ReplyDeleteBut I like what you said at the end...the guys HAVE to go...and not many offer much more than a few words. I know...with SH having lost his dad 4 months ago...he says the whole thing felt unreal and he sometimes can't believe he helped burn his father's body. It's very traumatic.
Being an only child, I dunno what I will do when my time comes. I only know that my mom wouldn't approve. When my dad was critical, she was desperate for a male relative around in case the worst happened. I was so weak...I didn't try to convince her otherwise.
Hugs, Cee. Doing the last rites would not have been worth all the hungama you relatives would have caused .. if they were talking about you not touching stuff in your own house!
ReplyDeleteIt would ultimately have detracted from your grieving.. and so while you 'll still have your regrets, I think you're better off without the scene your 'well-meaning' relatives would have created. That would have been a greater regret for the additional grief it would have caused your MOm.
Long comment, sorry. :-) but this is something close to my heart as well.