Aparna asks, in her post "3 Adjustment Stories", "To what point does one adjust? Should everyone in a new relationship learn to adjust rather than it being expected mostly from one person? How does one decide if it is worth it? And what should be non-negotiable?"
The "A" word, “adjustment” is not new for most Indian women. Anything that involves putting up with other people’s whims, fancies, traditions, opinions etc. is covered by the umbrella of “adjustment”.
You get into an argument with your brother over who will read the newspaper first – you need to adjust (and let him, and every other male member of the family read the newspaper before you). You are the last one left to eat dinner (because, of course, the men eat first) and there isn’t much food left. Or maybe your favorite dish is all gone. You need to adjust. Don’t grumble. It is only food! You get engaged - you need to learn to adjust. You get married – you need to adjust with your new family. Your in-laws or husband abuse you – you need to adjust. You must definitely be pissing them off in some way and inviting all those troubles on yourself. You must be answering back or disobeying their rules. You question senseless rituals – education has gone to your head. You haven’t been taught to adjust. Girls shouldn’t be allowed to study too much – they don’t adjust after that. You didn’t grow up in a joint family – you surely wouldn’t know how to adjust. You are younger – you must adjust.
I am as good as a boy/man. I won’t adjust. I have an MBA/B.E/ from a prestigious institution – I won’t adjust. I don’t believe in the boy/girl crap – I believe men and women are equal. I won’t adjust. I spent all my life studying and got this degree. I won’t adjust. I have a good job that brings in mega bucks – I won’t adjust. I am a feminist – I won’t adjust. Why should I be the only one to adjust?
I am sure each one of us can identify with at least one statement in the last two paragraphs, if not more. Truth be told, these are both extremes. The first paragraph speaks of the atrocities girls/women in an Indian society are made to tolerate in name of adjustment. Is that really adjustment? I believe it lies more in the realms of meek submission that is expected of them just because they happen to be females. The second paragraph portrays the picture of a rebellious, strong and independent woman. But does it really? To me it says this person is shortsighted, selfish, arrogant and immature.
Adjustment is not all that bad. And it isn’t all that good either – depending on the circumstances and the intentions behind the expectation for adjustment. It is another noteworthy fact that all these expectations of adjustment are associated with women in our society. Similarly all the declarations of “I won’t adjust” will be frowned upon by many. The irony is that the same declarations will be meekly accepted if they were to come from a man. In fact, they would be offered on his behalf before he even opens his mouth. Therein lays the crux of the whole matter. Adjustment, on its own, is not a bad word or concept. Tying its expectation with just one gender in the society is. Patriarchy, which is formed on the foundation of all such concepts, is.
Adjustment, in any relationship, is the order of the day. No relationship can survive without it. But when that adjustment comes from one party only, the relationship cannot survive. Or if it does (because one partner is “adjusting”), it will definitely won’t be as fulfilling, as warm and as smooth as it can be. There will be tiny cracks and fractures in the relationship that may not be visible to the naked eye but will be felt by the people living that relationship. When the adjustment in a relationship comes at the cost of one partner’s happiness or contentment, that relationship is doomed. To each of us, there always will be (and should be), a few things that we will never compromise on. We should know where to draw the line in an adjustment game. A healthy relationship will honor those limits. E.g. I know I will adjust with anything in a relationship as long as it doesn’t challenge my core being, as long as I am not expected to let go of the opinions and values that define me.
The adjustment one makes unwillingly when one is expected or required to do it is not a true adjustment. It is an imposition. It will result in resentment or unhappiness. On the other hand, absence of adjustment also spells disaster for a relationship. No two people can think and feel exactly the same way about everything. There will come a time in their relationship when they will disagree. The success of their relationship will depend on how well they handle disagreements, not on how well they agree with each other on other matters.
To me, adjustment is not a four-letter word. I have adjusted plenty in my life. Sometimes out of compulsion but most times out of my own free will. So has my husband. We both recognize and appreciate the adjustments we have made to make our relationship stronger. Our relationship IS stronger because, instead of counting who made how many adjustments, we just adjusted when needed. He needed to study further to better his career prospects so he did - even though I wanted to study first to better my chances at landing a job. So I adjusted my dreams (not without protests though) for a short while. Now I am at a point where I can realize my own dreams with his full support. I can’t take much time off from work so he adjusts his work schedule to take care of childcare emergencies. It goes both ways in so many situations. Like the Hindi proverb says “Kabhi naav gadi par to kabhi gadi naav par” [Loosely translated it means “sometimes the boat is on the car and sometimes the car is on the boat”]. That’s adjustment.
Note: I wrote this post as an entry for the contest at Women's Web, 'The Great Adjustment Story'.
Hi CK, nice post. Agree with it 100%. You know I feel so proud to say I have never had to adjust, so glad to have parents/husband who have treated me so well that I do not know there is such a thing as adjust. Long time I have not read your posts, how you been girl?
ReplyDeleteAdjusting or Pushover.. that's the question isn't it? I agree with your post 100% .
ReplyDeleteOn the basis that forsaking one's wishes/freedom/
Lets change the perspective.. lets apply this to a parent child relationship (rather than the partner relationship that this post focuses on and lets see how our mind works then)
Say, we have a child who is not adjusting(temperamental, says wont go to schoool or does not want to study.. or gets out of control) . How will the other person's (parent in this case) mind work with respect to adjustment? The parent is trying hard to fix the problem with the child or adjust and accept and work around or would they say.. no I wont adjust.. because it amounts to being a pushover? Here is a relationship we cannot walk away from.. what does the word adjustment mean now? (of course.. lets assume that the parents are trying everything to work on the son's problem.. i'm just trying to focus on how a parent's mind treats adjustment in this case
To an extent it true, but, I think situation is changing now.Girls are getting greater opportunity now as compared to few years back and I see no reason why will not the girls get their due place without"adjustment"
ReplyDeleteSines: Thanks. I am good. How have you been? Curious to know one thing - you say you have never had to adjust. Does it mean you and your husband and you and your parents have never disagreed on anything? What happens when there is a difference of opinions over things that one of you needs to handle? Whose way is followed?
ReplyDeleteLife: The situation that you have narrated is not about "adjustment" in my opinion. Fact of life is that all relationships in this world come with some inherent responsibilities. E.g. a parent NEEDS to take care of their children's physical needs. Being a parent I cannot shirk from any of that saying "I don't want to". I HAVE to do certain things to carry my responsibility in a relationship.
ReplyDeleteA parent's responsibility is to equip their child with enough skills to be able to lead a comfortable life in their adulthood. Providing education is part of that responsibility. The child's responsibility, by that measure, becomes to utilize the resources his/her parents provide to gain that education.
If I were in the situation that you mentioned, I would try to find out WHY the child doesn't want to go to school. Is he being bullied? Is he having problem understanding the subjects being taught? Can I help him with that issue? Is his demand justified? For a child to stubbornly refuse to go to school (you haven't said that but I am assuming from your comment) and for a parent to be unable to make the child understand the necessity of it indicates a possible breakdown in the communication process to me.
As for the child going out of control - that isn't an adjustment issue at all. It is a discipline issue. Why would a parent adjust to something like that? And if they do, they are doing the child a disservice because their job is to guide the child in what's right and what's wrong.
And if you do want to treat this matter from the adjustment angle, why not consider it the child's responsibility to adjust? Why must the parent adjust? As long as he is living under his parent's roof, and as long as his parents' demands/requirements are reasonable, he needs to comply because he isn't self-dependent yet.
I don't know - I am kinda dissatisfied with my answer because I feel I am not seeing the whole picture. But given the facts, I do stand by what I said.
BK Chowla: I think adjustments are an integral part of relationships. Adjusting is not bad per se. Being the only one who needs to adjust, is. Cloaking sacrifices of career, freedom or independence (to name a few) under the name of "adjustment", is! And I certainly don't think a successful relationship needs adjustment only from the woman. It could be the man making some adjustments too.
ReplyDeleteI would never advise a girl (or a boy or any person in a relationship, for that matter) to not adjust. Rigidity kills a relationship faster than one can imagine. On the other hand, one does need to determine where they draw a line on adjustment. Sometimes a relationship isn't right for one, no matter how much one (or both parties) adjusts. One must know when to let go of a relationship as well.
CK it is ALWAYS my way of the highway! Sorry to make your serious topic funny but really I cannot think of anything major that we have disagreements on ever both with parents and husband. I guess my husband and I may disagree on which movie to watch but really that may be extent of our adjustment. I swear.
ReplyDeleteCeeKay I loved every word of yours in the post and comments. The clarity in your approach is a healthy way of looking at adjustment. esp liked the part about the tiny cracks and fractures that others can't see but which have the potential to become deal-breakers.
ReplyDeleteKudos for a superb post on this topic. Hope you win!
"Adjustment, on its own, is not a bad word or concept. Tying its expectation with just one gender in the society is."
ReplyDeleteWell, you have said it all in that one sentence :)
Adjustment is not something to be imposed upon anyone. It must come from one's own free will, only then can it be termed adjustment in the truest sense.
Nice one. Good luck with the competition.
Cee, glad you wrote this. I have faced too much flak for saying some compromise isn't a bad thing.
ReplyDeleteI was so busy last week and now the last date's passed. Oh well.
Well said, wise Cee Kay.
ReplyDelete