Friday, June 06, 2008

**Insert evil laughter here**

S participated in an Olympic Torch Run held by her school yesterday. A very impressive event that I am planning a separate post on. Towards the end of the event, when all the kids were assembled in the field, she stumbled and fell, and sprained her foot. All evening yesterday was spent by mom and dad providing TLC to her and her foot. Cold compresses, followed by hot compresses, anti-inflammatory ointment massages.... We were hoping she'd be better by morning which turned out not to be the case. She went limping to the school. I hardened my heart and let her ride the bus, because I had a nagging suspicion that she was limping more for the effect than because of the hurt (Yeah - MBO. Meanie of the Biggest Order - that's me!).

I did leave a message for her classteacher that she be excused from lap running that they normally are required to do for their health class. I received a call from her a little while ago that I unfortunately missed. She left me a garbled (read whiny) message saying I should talk to Mrs. M and explain something (didn't quite understand what) to her. I sort of panicked thinking Mrs. M was probably trying to get her to run laps because she hadn't checked the voicemail I left her. So I called the school and left my cell phone number requesting to be called back. Mrs. M called and wanted to know what exactly could S do without aggravating her injury. Like jungle gym, swings, running on the field, playing four corners - what? I said nothing - I would rather she sit on a bench and not tax her foot.

Now here is where the evil laughter comes in. I called J right after this and told him about this incident. Then we got to talking about the possibility that S might get mad at not being able to play because, just maybe, she exaggerated the limp to get out of running laps :) I mean she might have thought that she'd get out of running laps but still get to have fun on the swings and the monkey bars. I know how a 9 year old's mind works. And we agreed that if her foot is really hurting then she needs to sit out of all activities. And if it is not really hurting then she REALLY needs to sit out of all the fun to learn that you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Wot say?

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

8 comments:

  1. MBO? Loved it. Just kept saying a person after my own heart while I was reading the whole thing. I often do this with my 10 year old:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cee Kay- staying a few steps ahead of the kid definitely requires an evil devious mind which all parents need!
    Have sent one son kicking and screaming to school after a few days at home due to a severely sprained ankle, after he was certified fir by the doc. He insisted that he'd die if he went to school. We said, well if you die you die, that's the end of all your problems, and we see no reason for you to be popping off, so just go.
    And he came back very happy. Bacchey:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the way you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muhahahhaa.. you are evil!!
    LOL!
    But seiously..that was some smart thinking Mommy! I bet she is never going to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we have a choice?? I do similar stuff too to avoid a "Boy who cried wolf"!
    MBO was funny :)

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?