Thursday, April 19, 2007

Going it alone

Ever since we declared that we are expecting a baby, the one question that we get the most is "Who are you calling to come over and help you?" And then they are stunned to learn the answer - No one. Almost all desi families here do that. As soon as there is a baby on the way, one set of parents is recruited to come help them when the baby arrives. And I think that is a very good arrangement - if it works for you. That's a BIG if.

9 years ago, when I got pregnant with my daughter, I made the decision to stay with my husband and not go to my parents' place for the delivery, even though that was the tradition in our family. There were a lot of reasons .

  1. I didn't want to stay away from my husband. I was still very much in love with him (still am :P) and cried every time I left him to go visit my parents for 2-3 weeks ONCE a year. How could I stay away from him for 2 or more months?? Also, he had just landed a job with a company that was going to train him and then send him to the USA. We had already decided that he will go alone at first, find a project, an apartment and buy a car and then call me and baby over. This would be the best approach because neither of us believed it was good to bring the baby to an uncertain environment until you had at least a job and a place to live. With this, it meant that I would be staying away from him for at least 4 more months. So, the idea of going to my parents' place was scrapped even before it occurred to my in-laws :D
  2. My brother-in-law is a doctor and I thought I would be better off in Indore, in case some emergency arose since he would be around and all the doctors in his friend circle would be available too.
  3. My dad has hyper-tension and is the kind of person who gets stressed out very easily. I knew it would be difficult for him to stay stress-free during my pregnancy, specially since I was determined not to pay any heed to the superstitious advices one usually gets during this time (eat a lot, don't exert yourself physically, don't eat this or eat that, don't go out etc.) In fact I specially confirmed with my OB/GYN if it was safe for me to drive a scooter and she said yes. I asked her how much weight I could safely pick up/carry and she said upto 10 kgs. So, to spare both of us the tension, I decided to have the delivery in Indore - at my in-laws' home.
  4. I was running my own coaching institute at that time and there was no way I was going to close it down just for a pregnancy. I was due on November 9th and I decided to work until October 15th - which I did.

All this history to make a point. I made the decision to stay with my in-laws for the delivery. BIG MISTAKE! I regret that decision to this day. My pregnancy went smoothly but the delivery and post-partum care was another story. That harrowing experience (another post-worthy topic) left me severely depressed for more than 5 years, created a lot of stress in my marriage initially and has left me wary of asking for any help this time around too.

I could ask my parents to come help me. But I feel their help will be more useful when I go back to work. So my parents will come in the last week of August when I get ready to go back to work. They will stay for 3 months (or six - which ever works out for my mom as she is still working and it depends on how much leave she can get). That will help us keep the baby home, away from all potential infections one can catch at a daycare, for atleast 6 months.

So that leaves.... US! J, myself and S. And I am sure with a LOT of planning and some help from good-friends (which we have a lot of) we might just pull it off. It helps that the second time around one has a little bit of experience to help make things better. And we have one eager little helper in form of S too! Even getting through this pregnancy has required a lot of planning in itself what with my full-time job, S and her extra-curricular activities, the various problems I have faced through the months - High Blood Pressure, PUPP and now the constant Blood Sugar monitoring (I know I probably never mentioned the last two - a pregnancy update on these soon). And on top of that this was the year I decided to be more active with my daughter's school PTO (Parent Teacher Organization), the Technology Council at her school and Norwalk's PTO Council. Not to mention having NO house-hold help to clean or cook or do any other big and small chores around the house means MORE juggling and planning.

Our plan is that I will take off from work about 2 weeks before my scheduled C-section (June 12th), get some rest and get the whole place (the house, the nursery...) in order. Then, provided The Peanut doesn't decide to come early like his/her big sister, I will go in for my C-section on June 12th, stay in the hospital for 3 days and come back. J will take 2 weeks off from work to help me. After the first two weeks I should have recovered enough to take care of the baby during the day by myself. I'll sleep when the baby sleeps and all that good stuff. From experience I know it is difficult to do because when the baby sleeps, you have to take care of other stuff like cooking and cleaning. For that we are going to buy a freezer (soon!) and I am going to start cooking extra food and freezing it for those tough days. I am good at that - freezing food items! Manish, a friend of ours doesn't call me the "Freezer Queen" for nothing :D So the frozen meals will take care of J and S. And I will teach J how to cook Dal-Daliya and Khichdi for me. A friend has offered to send in some food to freeze for later too. I am accepting all help that comes my way. I am also planning to call in a cleaning service to come clean my house from top to bottom so when the baby arrives all we will need to do is maintain it (easier said than done though :P)

This time I plan on nursing. The last time I didn't lactate due to all the stress and S didn't latch on due to other factors so she was a formula fed baby even though I did try for TWO months. This time, I am going to put in ALL my energy into nursing the baby. For that I am planning to take help from another "source". We am going to rent a breast pump from the hospital and once we are sure that I am lactating properly, we will buy a pump (good ones are expensive - about 250 - 300 dollars a pop). Expressing and having some extra milk ready will ensure that even S or J can help me feed the baby when I am too tired or have some errands to run. That will also help me continue to nurse when I go back to work.

So this is the crude plan - I am still working the nitty-gritty details out but I think we CAN do it. If things get too out of hand, I plan on hiring a baby-sitter to come in for about 5-6 hours a day, 2-3 days a week, to help me with the baby so I can get some sleep and get some work done too. That should tide us over. I am pretty confident.

Now, all we need is to set up the Nursery AND FIND TWO BABY NAMES!! One for a boy and one for a girl. THAT is the biggest challenge for us right now.

12 comments:

  1. You, your hubby, and daughter will be just fine when the baby and you comes home. I think with a scheduled c-section you will be more relaxed since you have a specific date by when you plan to accomplish things. Main thing is to not overdo things the first couple of weeks and it's not the end of the world if everything that needs to get done doesn't. Have your hubby take two weeks off when the baby comes, either freeze up meals ahead of time or have your friends rotate through cooking and delivering dinner for you (this is a tradition amongst my friends) for the first two weeks. Do not overstress about breastfeeding, it's supposed to be enjoyable not tiring and frustrating. Check out http://www.lalecheleague.org/ for everything related to breastfeeding help, support, supplies, and whatnot. Hang in there, you are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Good luck, hon. I'm sure you'll manage and look back with pride on the days you did it by yourselves as a family, and most importantly, did it YOUR way.
    Keep us posted on your health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey...i'm with you all the way. i did what you did the first time. and i did what you are doing the second time around. and i know you are going to do great. we're hear, cheering form the sidelines. and as you can see.. its not really all that bad. mine are both tiny and we're doing alright.. seriously.. great decision

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great decision on your part to manage on your own. Believe me it is no big deal if your hubby is willing to help u. Mine did a great job of taking care of me, he was my mom, my dad ,my best friend and more. The stress that you had was caused by your MIL right? I felt bad when I read about the problems that you had with respect to breast feeding. You have to do what is good for you and your baby, go ahead and have the baby on your own. I am sure you will be fine. Love to your daughter.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lumi: Thanks for the suggestions. We already have some of these in mind. A friend has offered to send in meals to freeze. I just the kind of control freak who has ot have a plan otherwise I go berserk :D

    OJ: Thanks for the vote of confidence :P Health is as good as you can expect it to be at this time. I am sufferign from some allergies (I think), just got over a viral, am monitoring my blood sugar which isn't a big deal most of the days but somedays the numbers get out of whack. But, thankfully, I haven't been put on insulin yet.

    MadMomma: Thanks for the support. I feel this time around things will be different and better - and my blog-buddies will make a huge difference too :)

    Deepa: Thanks for dropping in. Yes, hubby is taking good care of me even now. I am sure he will take great care of me. First time around, it was not only the MIL that contributed to the stress - though she was a big part. It was the whole family against me in certain issues (like boiling bottles - they thought it was unnecessary). Too many issues to list in a comment... Then there was "You are just over reacting. We have brought up more babies than you have" crap. Also, almost on a regular basis it was made clear that all they cared about was the baby and that I was just the vehicle to bring her into this world. So much so that even my husband noticed and resented it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GTN: I think that is the reason i got mad.. in India you treat the mother like some bloody vessel and as though her job on earth is over and she can go die for all anyone cares. i was brought out of the OA and made to sit up and feed the baby within minutes... and then every hour after that. when i begged for a painkiller or one break where they could feed the baby formula and allow me 3 straight hours of sleep, they looked at me in horror and told me if i wanted to be selfish i neednt have had the child. bah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey,i missed this post somehow the last time i was here ... hope you're feeling better now and the PUPP is disappearing ... good luck with everything ... i hope you have an easy delivery and everything falls into place peacefully.

    btw, i had PUPP too and i was told that it is most likely to happen if you're carrying a boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be fine. I had 2 c-section and I got through alone without anybody's help:-) First time every after few hours I was so active and painfree.. I didn't even feel like I had baby the same day.. I was back to normal..:-)

    2nd time I was a bit stressfull about leaving my son with hubby for 3 day while I stayed in the hospital but once I was back it was fine:-)I am sure you won't but if you need any tips email me;-)momkidsaa@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey congratulations on ur pregnancy .. I am sure you guys will be able to manage just fine .Great decision though given that all of us have a tendency to seek help given a choice ..
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Planning,sweetie!! And trust me it will work.. I speak from experience..I am a first time mom.. and wasnt very comfy with the idea of having ILs around in the initial days.. and my dad and sis cant get enough leave to be here for a long time.. its just us here. And I am proud to say we are managing pretty well.. despite my C-sec. Only hitch was.. DH didnt get 2 weeks leave since A arrived early and so he was working from home the first week and then we managed. my aunt visited us for a few days.. but we have a better system in place when its just us. All the best to you n J and S .We'll be here rooting for you! AND trust me you will enjoy this time more as a family.. just your special time.
    All the best, honey.. keep us posted..

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely though.. how soon was your girl.. does it match with my kids- nov 1st?
    good luck on your 2nd pregnancy. sometimes i too getthe passing thought that i shud do it alone. those times when my kids cry to stay with MIL rather than me esp... i know a lady who proudly claim that she has brought their kids up on her own.. with no help from anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great guns dear, and here's wishing you great courage and patience for your brave decision. And yes, given a choice between having a baby on my own and having it with the MIL around, would rather go with the first option...Dont worry, life has a way of making you cope....

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?