Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Oh, the things we do for our kids...

... even the ones that aren't born yet. I did something that I never thought I'd be able to do. This IUI cycle, I took Clomid (its a drug used to stimulate follicular development) and on the 12th day of my cycle I was supposed to give myself a shot of "Ovidrel" (to time the ovulation). "Not in this life-time" I told my doctor. I am a BIG chicken when it comes to shots. I think I would make a lousy junkie because I am so afraid of needles. It has been a big accomplishment for me just to go to the clinic regularly to get blood-work done 3-5 times a month. So it was UNTHINKABLE that I would give myself a shot. But I did. My husband said he could do it but since I am such a scaredy cat, it made him nervous. Then I called a friend of mine to see if she knows how to give a shot to somebody - she didn't but said she'd do it for me. So I figured if she could do it, I could do it too :P The weird thing is I didn't feel a thing because the needle was so fine but I don't think it will be any easier for me the next time. Keeping my fingers crossed...

On a separate note, which is not related to the title at all - I had an unpleasant experience at the cafeteria in my office building yesterday. It reminded me why I don't buy lunch from there very often. I usually bring my own lunch but yesterday I hadn't, so I went down to the cafe to get myself a sandwich and some fries. The person manning the grill took my order (Cheese and Tomato sandwich, please?), went in and brought out two RAW beef patties, wiped his gloved hands on a terry-towel and started making my sandwich. I asked him incredulously "Aren't you supposed to change your gloves after handling raw meat?". He says "Oh, don't worry. I wiped my hands". Excuse me?!! WTF?? Then he changed his gloves and made me another sandwich. Then he went on to wipe a knife on the terry towel that he had previously wiped his hands on and cut my sandwich with it!! Eeeek!!! I threw the sandwich away and just ate the fries. I also complained to the supervisor of the kitchen staff - but I don't think anything will come out of it. So, next time I need to buy lunch, I am going to "Pizza and Brew" half a mile down the road.

Another such experience recenlty left me shaking my head in amazement at how people who need to practice hygiene for sake of other people's health, don't. A nurse at the infertility clinic that I go to needs a reminder everytime to "please use another guaze - this one has been lying on a contaminated surface" when she draws my blood. The "contaminated surface" is a counter-top around a sink which has obvious water-stains and dirt and God knows what else. Everytime I ask this nurse to change guaze, she looks at my like I am inconveniencing her to the extremes. I wonder why I haven't spoke to her supervisor about it yet - I will do so the next time. I have been working on my "confrontational skills" lately. Another post on that some other time.

I am so disgusted at the lack of hygiene in people I see around me. One of the female executives in my company just sticks her hand under the faucet for a second after taking care of "major business" in the bathroom. Another one just walks out without so much as wiping her hands. I always remember not to shake hands with these two. My 7 year old daughter knows better than them - she washes her hands everytime she uses the bathroom without any reminders. Properly. I am more concerned about hygiene practices (or lack thereof) of people in food or health industry. These are people whose actions affect lives of other people. And I see so many of my daughter's friends who apparantly haven't been taught the importance of washing hands properly. I don't agree that "they are just kids and will learn in time". My daughter is an example that kids can learn better habits if you just remind them every single time for 7 friggin' years. In my opinion, parents just don't make the effort - and then these kids grow up to be adults with unhygienic habits and then it is not "cute" anymore. In fact, it is not cute at any age.

I have a lot to blog about, but so little time. I hope that someday I will get around to blogging about our new home, about so many emotions swirling inside me about so many things happening around me. All I know is - NOT TODAY. Gotta go!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by and best of luck with the conception...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's very brave of you! And I know what you mean by the hygiene challenged people around... they are all over, freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey ck thanks for dropping by!
    i feel the same too bout people here who arent clean..its quite terrible sometimes...they dont bother washing their hands, a lot of them STINK sky high, its so hot here and they wear the same tee shirt for days on end..god i could pass out just thinking abt it!!!

    all the best for the conception! dont be scared of the needle..just look somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're such a brave person. good luck and take care.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?