Yes, my parents are finally here! And we are having a great time, thankyou. One person having the most fun is my daughter. She loves the attention they shower on her. So, all is well on that front.
But this has been a crappy week already (and it is only tuesday today). Yesterday, soon after I arrived at my office, I got a call from my husband. The water heater at home had broke. And who was in the midst of all that chaos? My poor parents!! The water heater, I later learnt, was spewing boiling hot water. And my mom and dad were frantically trying to do something, ANYTHING. Only, they didn't have a clue. My mom turned the fuse off but the water was still gushing out. (I was on the phone with her and could hear the water running in the background). So I told her to send my dad downstairs to unit A. God bless the folks living in unit A, for one of them immediately came upstairs and turned the valve to the heater off. I don't even know their names :( That's life in the US for you - you say "Hi" to everyone, day after day and year after year, but don't know their names. I remember, I once took them some cake from my daughter's b'day party. But I still don't know their names :P
Anyway, so I took off early from work yesterday so I could assess the damage at home. Luckily there wasn't much. Then in the evening we had to go pick our new car (YES! We bought a Honda CR-V SE. Not the Acura MDX though, our dream car :(( ) So we reached the dealership at around 5:30 pm. What time do you think we got our car? 9:30 pm!! Everything that could go wrong in the transaction, did. They typed my name wrong on all the papers for starters. They didn't finish installation of all the features we asked for. They couldn't locate the spare keys. We were DEAD tired when we finally got home. Then we had dinner and went to bed. And then, in the middle of night, we got a call from India. The caller forgot what time it was at our end. Thus went our Monday.
Oh well, tuesday has been slightly better - in that it has been uneventful. And my supervisor gave me a very good review for my co-op. He said he is very happy with my work so far. I am glad - I was so low on self-esteem when I started this job that I never thought I could do a good job in any position.
Friday, we leave for Niagara Falls. Till thursday, I am working an hour extra each day. I offered to do this since I took off in the middle of the day yesterday. That .... is... all. Over, and out!
Woah that sounds like quite a week.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the Niagara. Sigh .
Sounds like a hectic week. But you are going to have fun during the weekend. Niagara Falls sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats on the new car! What wouldn't I give for a Honda CRV!
Thanks Anumita & Rat! Yes, this week is getting slightly better each day. Our water heater still hasn't been fixed so I took a bath with ICE COLD water today :O We are so looking forward to our Niagara trip - though this would be our 6th trip there. I just love going down there.
ReplyDeleteTo all my blog readers: Sorry everyone, I had to disable anonymous comments because I was being spammed. Now, I didn't mind 1 or 2 spam comments, but 9??!! That just doesn't cut it. I am sure these spammers will find a way if they want to, but hey! I gotta do what I gotta do. Right?
May I say two things? No? Why not? I will.
ReplyDeletei) I didn't call you in the middle of the night, so who was it?
ii) Don't take the highways to Niagara. Take East 17 to Ithaca and then the state highway whose number I forgot to Buffalo. This is the season to be driving through the country.
iii) Did you know that I put 16000 miles on my car in four months in 2001? All in upstate NY and New England. :)))
That's three, I know, but who cares?
New car...how exciting.
ReplyDeleteSo did you have to get a new water heater.
Post pics from Niagara Falls ya.
Anurag: Babli/Manish from Indore. We didn't take route 17 unfortunately, but we did have a nice time.
ReplyDeleteMint: No, the landlord had the water heater serviced. It is fairly new - only 6 years old. And it turned out that there was some buildup in the pressure release valve/system - hence the overflow. So that's taken care of now. We have hot water again!!
I will definitely post pictures from Niagara - just give me some time. My classes start tonight (as if I am not already very busy :(( ) Just gimme time...