We Indians have a big problem. We do what we are told. Our culture instills in us that people "higher" than us are always right. We are not taught to question authority. Actually any instinct to question authority is quashed right at the beginning as soon as a child starts asking "why". Maybe I am generalizing too much. I definitely know quite a few people who question authority most vocally. But what I am talking about is the ease with which we accept ridiculous rules imposed on us in the name of authority. It doesn't occur to us to ask why we should follow the rule. Or if the rule should even be in place to begin with.
I had a big debate with my husband, cousin and mom at the dinner table last night. It started when my cousin mentioned that a company he knew of, made it mandatory for all its employees to get up from their seats for a few minutes every hour and move around or do some exercises to music piped through speakers throughout the building. While the intention behind imposing this rule might be noble (improving health of employees), my objection was to the child-like treatment the employees were subjected to.
The argument that my worthy opponents (hehe) put forth was that the company has vested interest in its employees' health. The company could save huge amounts of money in insurance costs and time lost due to sick leaves taken by employees. In my opinion, a company may put forth incentives for employees to stay healthy or even mandate health checkups regularly and impose a consequence for failing the health checkups. These, though unfair (when the employee's health has no direct bearing on his or her ability to perform his/her job function), would still be something an employee would have a choice over. He or she could choose to let his or her health slide and face the consequences. But saying that everyone HAS to get up at a predetermined time every hour and move around to some music is one short step from total dictatorial rule. Not only that, it also implies that the people who are subjected to that rule are no better than kids and need to be kept in line by rules and regulations. Heck, I wouldn't subject even kids to such diktats.
Second argument in favor of the company was that this rule is similar to companies imposing a no-smoking policy these days. How is it different from a company that tells its employees that they can't smoke in the building or that they have to go to some secluded spot, far removed from the main building, to get their smoke fix? This is how (and why). When a person smokes, he or she puts the health of other people at risk as well. Secondary smoke causes harm and we all know it. When a person chooses not to exercise and lets his or her health slide, he/she is causing harm only to him/herself, and not to others. I believe a company has every right to restrict its employees from smoking INSIDE ITS PREMISES. But a company has no business telling its employees that they can't smoke. Similarly, a company has no legal or ethical right to tell its employees that they have to exercise every hour. Say, a company is allowed to do this. Next thing you know, they'll be setting up limits on how much each person can eat. Where will it stop?
What happens when an employee lets his or her health slide so far that it starts affecting his/her performance at work? The company would have grounds to dismiss the employee for poor performance in that case, but I still wouldn't support a mandate for all employees to exercise. I say we should treat people as the adults that they are. They know exercising is good for them, smoking is bad for them and all other health crap. If they still decide to ignore it and not take care of their health, it is THEIR PROBLEM. You set up a rule saying a person should or should not do a certain thing for his or her own benefit, you are not too far from becoming a police state where you think it is your right to dictate people in other matters too. Like telling the women what to wear, how to behave, where not to go etc. Or telling grown men and women who they can and cannot, should and should not, marry. I think this is how a police state takes form. First someone comes up with a rule for the masses for "their own benefit". Once that is accepted, more rules are created and imposed. Where will it stop? Won't the "chosen few" take it as their right and responsibility to decide what is good for the masses? Will they be right in doing so?
The flip side of this discussion is that yes, adults should know what is good for them and act accordingly. Just because one has the right to live any way he/she wants should not mean that he/she can deliberately do things that are harmful or disrespectful to others.
Right after this discussion, I came across this article. I am amazed! Where do the schools get off telling parents what to wear and what not to wear? Agreed that parents should have more sense than to just zoom off to drop their kids off in their night clothes, but do the schools really need to go to the extent of "banning" them from entering the building? Really?? I know the "THEIR PREMISE" argument can be used here too but then, these parents are not harming others when they dress up inappropriately, are they? (Except their own reputation as sensible adults who know how to dress properly, maybe)
I know many Indians will not have a problem accepting this rule (or the one that I had a debate on earlier) as "normal" or even "right". I think that is because our culture teaches us that people in positions of authority (elders, employers, power figures etc.) have to be deferred to, respected and that they are always right - even when they are wrong. I think that part of our culture needs rethinking.
What do you think?
Note: I am not naming the company, but it is an American company. I am not commenting on whether Americans (or people from any other country) follow rules blindly or not. I am not qualified to make that observation. My post is based on the readiness I see in my fellow Indians to justify any such rules. Also, I am not implying that I am any better than them. I have the same instinct to "do as I am told". But I am learning to fight that instinct. I am learning to question rules that seem a tad bit (or more) on the ridiculous side. I am also learning to question rules that seem sane and reasonable. What I am actually learning, is that it is healthy to question the state of things. It means you are paying attention (and not just following blindly)

" Encourage people to be healthy by improving the facilities, not by nannying them."
ReplyDeleteTotallY!!
And ditto on "obedience is not a virtue".
He he! This reminds me what happened in our office.. After the yearly health-check in office, the doctors said most were over-weight and the diet practices were bad.. Our company offers free lunch and many don't stop eating:-) Fruit/veg lunch was introduced and people could subscribe either for fruit-lunch or the regular. Guess what? You could see people having both.. Then our CEO suggested that a calories tag be put against each food item to make people conscious of what they eat! When he sought a poll to implement the idea, well, no encouraging response! So that idea too got shelved.. People should know what is good/bad for them and decide for themselves.. Anything forced is never forceful, right?!
ReplyDeleteI guess it depends on what it is about. Whether we have a choice at all. Our comfort levels in accepting the new rules or changes. And such else.
ReplyDeleteIf it is useful and/or harmless, most of us tend to accept it without questioning. If it is something which is useless and harmful at the same time, we would perhaps voice our opinions. Now, if it would be heard is a different matter all together!
Lifeunderthesky: Exactly!! People should know what is good/bad for themselves and decide for themselves. In my opinion, the company should start charging a nominal rate for the food instead of giving it for free. And start offering healthier choices at a lower cost. When people have to pay for what they eat, they pay more attention to what they are eating. Or stop the free food. That will prompt at least some people to pack lunches from home, no?
ReplyDeleteRGB: True - if it is useful we tend to not question it (natural). What will you define as harmless? Making people exercise to music every hour is actually good for them - does that mean we should not question how that infringes upon our right to live our lives our own way? My point is - even if something is good for me, if it is forced upon me, I must have the freedom to question it. Even if something is good for me, if I don't want it, you cannot force it on me. Just like, if something is bad for me, you cannot force me to stop doing it (like smoking). You can make it inconvenient for me to smoke by setting up smoke-free zones, but you cannot actually tell me that I cannot smoke in a smoking area.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you and have a theory about how the great Indian joint family has ended up emasculating many and making puppets out of many more. Centuries of an idealised power-centric family structure is likely to create further generations of sheep, unfortunately:(
ReplyDeleteHello! It's so nice to be back reading your blog :)
ReplyDeleteHaving a boss who infatilises me and tries the paternal act is beginning to grate on my nerves...funniest part is I might be older than him. So your post hit home alright.
Agree totally...you can't impose rules like these on adults...just make it available and easier.
and I found the night-clothes thing so funny...have gone to my kids' school several times in super-formal officewear and Friday dressing which attracts a lot of raised eyebrows for some reason...I'd like to see them banning me...the fact that I show up at all is a biggie :P