You know, when life sucker-punched you in the face and everything that could go wrong, did?
There’s a hug for that.
When you just get beat down with one problem after another and can’t get a moment to catch your breath?
There’s a hug for that.
When you are so tired from the constant juggling and running and managing of schedules that dropping dead seems like an appealing solution?
There’s a hug for that.
When life plonks you smack-dab in the middle of a hopeless situation and you see no way out?
Yeah, there’s a hug for that.
When your worries are dragging you down, inch by inch, away from the happy perch that you earlier clawed yourself up to?
There’s a hug for that too.
When people you depended on or trusted, are no longer dependable or trustable?
There better be a hug for that!
But best of all – when you just want a hug, and nothing but a hug?
There IS a hug for that!
I came across the “Free Hugs Campaign” quite accidentally – I don’t remember where or how. But it drives home the truth that doesn’t normally register on our minds – a simple hug carries such a therapeutic power in it. Have you ever had a day when you just craved for a tender human touch? For a friend to give you a squeeze and say “It’s gonna be alright”? Or for someone to just fold you into their arms and hold you for a while? I have had many of those days in the past few months. I am lucky to have a few very special people in my life who dole out hugs on a regular basis as well as on special demand. But there are occasions when I need a hug and still don’t want to have to ask for it. (What? A girl is allowed that!!) On those days I wish
a) My loved ones had “Cee needs a hug” sensors, OR
b) Someone was running a Free Hugs campaign in my neighborhood.
Yeah I am silly like that. And I pay for it by not getting hugs when I most need them.
This is how I feel at times
I grew up in a "hug-less" environment but I knew I was loved. My parents didn’t show their affection in physical ways but they never missed an opportunity to let me and my brother know that they loved us very much. So, it was very late in life that I realized the power that a simple hug carries in it. But, I still can’t bring myself to hug people randomly, no matter how close I am to them. J and the girls are an exception – I think I must suffocate them with the hugs I bestow upon them. I have hugged my best friend of 11 years on occasions that I can count on the fingers of one hand. We joke about it. I wish I could just reach out and hug her when we meet or when we leave after meeting but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I often wonder why I am this way, but haven’t been able to figure it out.
It could be my fear of rejection (yes I have that) but that is silly, isn’t it? How would someone reject a hug? Especially someone who, I know, cares about me. Beats me. Who can figure out the ways of a Crazy Cee? At least not a Cee. Do you have any insights?
So, coming to the original question – what’s in a hug? A hug can be a means to show that you care. It has therapeutic powers, no doubt. But also some apprehension, self-doubt and fear of rejection apparently (for me). Oh, and according to some articles I found online, some signals, innuendos, opportunities etc. too :)
Note: When I was searching for answers to my question "What's in a hug?", I came across a post bearing the same title by another blogger. Since I had already typed my whole post out, I didn't change the title of mine. Do read this post - very well written.
"A hug's a magic circle
ReplyDeleteAround a happy feeling
A very special gift
That everybody finds appealing"
This was part of a poem my cousin had up on her wall as a child (I think it's still up).
Hugs, Cee. I should have come by sooner.
love you cee.
ReplyDeletea big fat hug just because :)
I also grew up in a world sans hugs, but I'm so glad that hugs abound now, even the virtual ones:)
ReplyDeleteDecades ago, I was enchanted when my young nephew told his mother that he needed a "cuggle", and decided to incorporate such good stuff into my own parenting:)
Marvelous…..
ReplyDeletehyderabadonnet.com
Don't know about how healing a hug can be...but the way in which you jotted down the times when one needs a hug is very germane !!
ReplyDeleteHello! Just read this and loved it - I think our Hug blogs compliment each other :) (I'm from the other one you mentioned!)
ReplyDeleteThere are days when you do just need a hug, maybe not even a full on squeeze of a one, just a touch of the hand can be enough. I'm an avid follower now x
Sue: You came. That has been enough. Thanks for the hugs.
ReplyDeleteMona: Love you too :) Hugs backatcha!
Dipali: I am glad for the hugs in my world now, too :)
ReplyDeleteParentzguide: Thanks!
TheOCDSquirrel: Thanks for dropping by. Your post to your dad brought a lump to my throat. Hugs.
Pretty…
ReplyDeleteDeccansojourn.com
I found your blog through desi momz club and this particular post rings true for me too...We were also never a hug family and though I knew my parents loved me...there were very few explicit "I luv you" said...
ReplyDeleteI think I want to be different with my daughter and fill our lives with hugs, kisses and I love you's:)
Nice blog
Cheers
http://mylipstickchronicles.blogspot.com/
Nice blog...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.deccansojourn.com
Amazing the visit was worth…
ReplyDeletepuneonnet.com
Wonderful post. Hugs :) TC :)
ReplyDelete