Last Friday, as I was coming home from work, I came up behind a city bus that runs the route that our home is on. It is a 30 mph zone and later turns into a 25 mph zone just about a mile from my home. This bus was doing somewhere between 38-41 mph. I followed it at a constant distance to see exactly how fast it was going. I was tempted to call up 911 and report the bus driver for reckless driving. Ours is a residential street, which means there are kids, dog walkers, walkers and runners going up and down the street. We have had our mailbox knocked right off the ground WITH its post and flung 20 meters by a speeding truck/bus (we don't know WHAT struck the mailbox, we just came home one day to find it lying 20 meters from where it was standing). However, I noted the bus number and then looked up the route information on the Transit company's website. From there I also got the Transit District's Administrator's email ID. I sent her (him?) the following email:
Hello L,
I have a concern regarding a Wheels bus, bus# xxx that was traveling on Route x between Walmart (at Route x) and Route y on Friday, August 6 2010 between 6.40 and 6.45 pm.
This bus was traveling on W Road and I was right behind it starting from Walmart till A street. I felt it was going too fast so I followed it at a constant distance to get an estimate of the speed at which it was traveling. My car's speedometer registered 38 to 41 miles. This is a 25 mph zone. This really worries me as this is a residential street and also has two schools and a daycare on it. Buses traveling at such high speeds on this street pose a hazard to the residents, and specially the kids. I have seen other Wheels buses speed by on this road on other occasions as well.
Kindly consider this my formal complaint and take an action regarding this incident and inform me about what steps were taken to remedy this problem. You can call me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx if you have any further questions.
Thanks.
A concerned resident,
Cee Kay
Phone: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
This morning, just as I reached my office, I received a call from the Transit District Administrator's assistant. He told me that my complaint has been recorded and that he will talk with the bus driver. This is good!! I wasn't looking for a disciplinary action against the driver anyway. If I wanted that, I could have called 911. But if just a conversation or a warning will make the driver(s) drive more carefully, then that is all I want. I am impressed and happy that my complaint was taken seriously! One more reason for me to like the town that I live in.
How nice.... i am glad it made a difference!
ReplyDeleteIt really feels good to be heard ... doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteMakes you a responsible citizen, when your concerns are addressed.
Some more people like you must get up and make a difference.You have set an example.
ReplyDeleteMy best wishes.
Every single effort is important on it's own. I am glad you took the initiative and it did give positive results :)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work :)
Cheers!!
Garima - Now I am wondering if they really did talk to that driver :P Am sure going to keep an eye on the buses on our street from now on.
ReplyDeleteCA - True. Gives you courage to speak up more.
ReplyDeleteBK Chowla - Thanks! I think it goes both ways - I could speak up because I knew I'd be heard. If there had been corruption or arrogance in the system and if I hadn't been sure I could get myself heard, I probably wouldn't have tried. Here, I had thought I'd write a letter to the city's main newspaper's editor if the bus company did not reply. I have recourse here so I am more confident.
ReplyDeleteDialoguewithyou: Thanks! I am glad that I was heard, too. Made me feel better about living in this city.
ReplyDelete