Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Conversation startes



I recently got a friendship request on FB from a guy I studied with in high school. He also sent me a message. This:



"B K PAugust 2, 2010 at 6:57pm
Subject: hi
hi,


b here.


tum to moti ho gayi ho yaar.*


bye, regards."

(I have changed his name for privacy purposes)

*Translation:
You have grown fat, my friend!


So, no "How are you?" or "Where are you these days?". Instead a comment about a fact  that I am only too aware of. I mean, can you imagine anyone not being aware of their weight, be it under or over the normal range? How, or why is it acceptable to start a conversation with this gem - specially when you are getting back in touch with that person after 22 frigging years?Did you not grow up AT ALL during those 22 years to realize that this is NOT a polite thing to say? Well, he is not alone. I have had a fair share of such rude, nosy people.

Take the uncleji who came to express his condolences to us, 2 days after my dad passed away. I opened the door and the first comment out of his mouth was "Arrey, tum to bahut moti ho gayee ho?!" [Oh! You have grown so fat?!] Forget "I am so sorry for your loss" or "I hope he didn't suffer too long" or any such comment, however half hearted. Nope. His main concern was my weight. And his sister, who came with him, was concerned that I left my 1.5 year old daughter at home with my husband. Poor little girl - I should have brought her with me. And poor J! He had to take care of a toddler AND work full time -something I also do when J goes on business trips or trainings. But it is difficult for the men, you know! And you should NOT leave your kids behind. Usko to saath me laana tha (you should have brought at least her along). I bit my tongue to stop myself from asking her "And how is it YOUR business??"

An auntyji, who lives right across the street from my mom, uttered this when she first met me after I had M, my second daughter:

"Congratulations dear, on birth of your daughter! Don't worry, these days daughters are considered as good as sons". 2.5 years later, I still haven't recovered from the WTF-ness of that comment. I swear I was SMILING my broadest smile when I met her so there could have been NO mistake regarding how I felt about having two daughters. 

This is the same auntyji whose son came over to our house, long back - more than 20 years ago - to give some advise to my PARENTS. My parents were as old as HIS parents (just for perspective before I narrate his "advise"). He advised my parents not to send me to a co-ed college (I was planning to sign up for the Electronics-Math-Physics stream at the local science college which had opened its doors to girls only a few years ago) My dad, I believe, was not around. Only mom met him. She asked him his reasons (yeah, she is a MUCH nicer person than I am!) and he said "Ladkiyan bigad jati hain" [Girls get "spoiled" - yeah, girls are like milk or eggs or tomatoes in case you didn't know] My mom explained to him that girls get "spoiled" even when (and if) they are kept behind seven locked doors - if they so want. She said "We don't think keeping her behind locked doors - or sending her to an all-girls' college would help if she did want to fall into wrong company". She then thanked him for his concern and sent him away. Then she and Pa proceeded to help me fill out forms and go to the co-ed college. Later they helped me go to another co-ed college in another state. The concerned neighbor had probably given up hope on them ever seeing the light so he didn't try to talk them out of that! I don't know what he thought about me choosing my life partner while doing my Master's in Indore. I know for sure that he didn't try to talk my parents out of "allowing" me to marry the man of my choice. Oh, but others did! Just so you know :)

So, now back to what I was venting about. Rude people. Stupid people. People who have a serious I-don't-know-when-or-how-to-shut-up disorder. One of them told me, on more than one occasion, that I should try and lose weight. His friend's wife had! "Dunno what she did, but she stopped eating for a while and lost a lot of weight. Now she really looks very nice" - he said. Then one day he told me I really needed to learn how to keep my house clean. Why? Because the sink was full after we had all had a meal with two veggies and a daal plus a sweet dish. (I didn't have a dishwasher) And I think the counter was also cluttered with all the spices etc. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he is not one of the friends I regularly exchange pleasantries with through email and phone calls.

I even remember an old hag commenting "She is SO FAT and she is still having lactation problems?" after I had my first daughter. As these comments come back to me, I am amazed at how, ALL my life, I have been plagued with idiots. People commenting on my weight, people commenting on my inability to nurse my daughters, people commenting on my inability to conceive the second time around, people commenting on my complexion. An old female relative's reply to my "namaste" when we met after more than 3 years? "She is fairer now!!" Wow! Thank you!! My life's ambition has been fulfilled!

One uncleji said to me, when I showed him photos from my engagement "Ek baat to hai - ladka apni ladki se jyada achchha dikhta hai" [One thing is for sure - the boy looks way better than our girl (yours truly)] My reply was "Just goes to show who is smarter". He was left saying "he he he" for some time. But WHY should I have to defend myself? Or put someone else down to deflect the insult??

Because of these idiots, I suffered from a complex all my life. At 52 kgs I thought I was fat! Now, I regret at having lost all those years to those complexes when I could have enjoyed myself better. Thankfully I don't suffer from those now. I even tell people to take a hike every now and then. Suggest a scenic route that ends right above a beautiful lake full of sharks. And tell them to take a flying leap into that lake.

My reply to that "friend" on FB?



Cee Kay August 2 at 11:33am
Hmmmm...

And your point is??

You find me after, what, 22 years and that is all you could think of saying? Really?! Wow!! Good conversation skills! Way to go!!

I am DONE taking insults! No more Ms. Nice n Smiley.






















Note: I am almost scared in asking this, because I know this might bring forth a barrage of unpleasant memories - but do share your experiences in the comments section. Let's cuss these idiots out and vent some anger and frustration in a safe, friendly environment :D

35 comments:

  1. THere are those people... i know. I just ignore them, smile and literally move on. There are times when my MIL or mom would go on and on.. abnout he said this or that.. or this happened and they said this.. and I am like, forget it, dont let them affect you so much. The only people who matter is your direct family.. and we dont care.. so let it go!
    Its easeier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but instead of holding back u should reply back to them on the spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my life I was told I was dark-skinned. Until I got married, after that it didn't matter I guess. When my in-laws were informed about my being pregnant, they were relieved because 'people had been asking' - I did not know I was having a child to please 'people'. For two years after childbirth, people (including seriously obese women and men with a paunch the size of a 10 kg ricebag) told me I needed to lose weight. Now I am told I need to do something about my son being skinny.

    I grew up with low self-esteem. Finally I have reached a state where I don't care what these people think. I dismiss such comments with precise logical arguments and then cuss mentally :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these people FIND others... i think that's why we all have our own personal share of morons!

    one auntyji who had come home for the puja after my dad passed away says to me "tum apni skin ki care nahi karti ho kya? job bhi toh nahi kar rahi ho? your skin was so nice before" and another aunty who thought she was "defending" me says "bechari aaj hi toh itna travel karke aayi hai"
    i don't think i reacted then... to either. but really? shouldn't basic courtesy be a mandate for attendance on such occasions!?

    there were many more like that, actually... who didn't seem to realize why they were there.
    gah!

    normally, i'm rather anti-social, so ppl (the annoying types) don't really talk to me much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens to me all the time-comments on my weight (or lack of) since I struggle with being underweight for no known reason. And since I don't have kids, various auntyjis and unclesjis go on and on about my reproductive system and how my lack of weight must have something to do with it. Moaned about it a bit here: http://www.likhati.com/2009/12/14/on-not-being-fat-enough/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one that made me the saddest was, when I was in India and was asked why didnt I have an abortion after finding out I was pregnant for the 4th time. And that child is right in front of them

    Questions like "bahut late say patay hua ki pregnant ho", to "ajjkal to ek goli kha lo toh miscarriage hojate hai"

    I was dumbstruck..these were older women who did path pooja 3-4 times a day and thought an abortion at an early stage doesnt count.

    Let's not get started on the weight and skin issues or the ones where my mil was asked why didnt her bahu wear bindi/sindoor/churi/jhumki.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should take classes on good comebacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that not a desi tradition? telling others what to do while our own fly is open for the whole world to laugh at?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Uttara and Sraikh: My jaw fell open at that...those people deserved slaps.

    CeeKay, you know, about my hair, I've reached a place of comfort, where I calmly just say to commenters and questioners, "I'm not interested in discussing it, okay?"...and have had the satisfaction of being apologised to over and over. Or, "it's just hair, my kidneys and brains are working fine"...gets the message across too.

    Usually a raised eyebrow, scornful look or a "What are you saying actually?" shuts them up. We've gotten pretty smart with the adoption and eye-patch comments and questions.

    A family member was dispensing free advice about eating and weight control in front of the other member who's actually dying, and SH told her to keep quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and I find it especially disgusting when men comment on women's weight. I even told one male relative that he shouldn't be looking at my body like that...he got so embarrased he's very careful when I'm around these days :-D

    People who comment on my kids weight, complexion, anything...start regretting it because I start a ginormous speech about how strong, beautiful talkative, intelligent they are, until they wish they'd never poked me to gush endlessly about my kids like that :-D My kids love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. People will never learn giving space to anyone. Untill unless we give at them right back. I really loose my patience sometimes. It is sometimes not just the older crowd. Can totally understand how it feels when they talk about lactation problems and all. I really say WTF and it gets you even more whne the MIL tries to make comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all seem to have had a brush with those non-sensical people who can't keep their opinions to themselves. One uncle particularly got on my nerves when he started a lecture on how girls are supposed to sport long hair and wear sarees or salwar kameez and started 'mis'quoting the Bible. I snapped back and shut him up. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My god the fat all life story could have been mine. I have always been a taller than average and broader than average girl, and my relatives have time and again made fun of me for being more manly! To hell to such people I say! Just ignore them, better still, say something bad about them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yeah, this seems to be a specialty of Indians, I have to say. They think NOTHING of commenting on your weight, your potential reproductive capacities, etc. Even those you'd think would know better. I've had comments about my weight all my life -- until the point I left India -- and the last time I was seriously overweight was as a kid. I'm not skinny now, and never will be but I've never been so conscious of it as I was in India. Is this a cultural thing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Garima: You are right - it is easier said than done:) Specially when they are taunting you about an already sore point. I have learnt that when I am at peace about my situation or decision, it is easier for me to ignore the irritants.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unmana: I remember this post!! I thought I had commented but I guess I hadn't :( I loved this post of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous: Yeah I know you have been telling me that for the past 15 years. Ab ja kar samajh me aaya :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Arundhati: Sorry to know that you had to go through all that but also glad to know that you now are at a point where none of this matters. Cussing really helps - I have started doing it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rayshma: Seriously!! These people are like homing pigeons- get pulled towards non-morons :D I have similar stories from the day of my dad's funeral :(( One woman kept trying to drive the point home that since I am married, I don't "belong to the family" now so I shouldn't be doing any of the rituals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uttara: Om my!! Such people are everywhere!!! Nahi? Such pains in the neck! Sympathies...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I had one person during my last India trip tell me how fat I was to my face and add "Why can't you be like your sister?" The best part is that he had insulted that same sister many a times in past years! (grhhhh)

    ReplyDelete
  22. sraikh: "The one that made me the saddest was, when I was in India and was asked why didnt I have an abortion after finding out I was pregnant for the 4th time. And that child is right in front of them"

    This is the worst by far!! Did you at least smack them??

    Rohini: I only think of the comebacks a good week later,most times :)

    LIFE_REFACTORED: It is, it is :( All these experiences of mine, sadly, have been in India. Here, in the US, I have just had one such experience in the last 11 years.

    ReplyDelete
  23. starry eyed: You go girl!! I still haven't been able to retort to a SINGLE person makign such rude comments. I am often busy picking up my jaw from the floor at their rudeness.

    Advice about eating and weight control in front of a dying person?? People really have NO sense, manners OR empathy, do they? They need to be whacked soundly!

    Your kids are really fortunate to have you as their mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sumana: Oh the MIL did try to make comments and this one about lactation was made by a neighbor and conveyed to me by her :) I asked her "She said THAT about your DIL and you heard it without reacting at all??" I didn't get any comments relayed to me after that :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. RGB: Oh-ho! People preaching about hair or clothes or duties just tick me off no end! I am amazed when I hear people younger than me spouting such nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shilpa: Yes - best strategy seems to be to ask them an embarrassing question in return :) Or to tune them out. I am an expert at the latter now that I have a screeching toddler :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anon (Second one - August 05): I do think it is a cultural thing. I have only come across these rude remarks in India. What's worse is that these people brush off your complaints with a "Oh, I was just joking!" The FB friend I wrote about? Wrote back to say he was just joking and that he is not slim and trim anymore either. After I wrote a second email saying "It still isn't polite OR funny", he apologized.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sands: DID you smack him?? Let's all take a pledge here - we will smack the next "rude question asker". Physically or verbally. But we WON'T take it lying down!! :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Linked to ya...couldn't resist writing a post about this. http://starsinmeyes.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/loose-talk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Cee Kay, Reading your posts for some time now, decided to delurk -
    I had a friend on Orkut who said the same thing - Saw pics of my baby and me and said - "baby after so many years of marriage - why did you wait so long?!!" and I had lost touch with him for more than 10 years now!
    How do you react to something like that?
    And you've inspired me to write my own post on this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. And here's my post - http://rushmechatter.blogspot.com/2010/08/wagging-tongues-and-motor-mouths.html - linking it back to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Ceekay,
    While I do agree that its a cultural thing to comment on other people's weight, I'm not sure if its exclusive to people living in India.I got a lot of those remarks from "friends" who live in the States.I guess they had different strokes for different folks! I couldn't see them doing that to their American neighbours or colleagues.(I'm Indian and the commenters are originally from India, as well).I simply stopped responding to such comments and refuse to comment on the current status of their weight. I couldn't care less if others gained or lost weight.It doesn't affect the quality of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Starry - Thanks for linking to me.

    RS - Read your post. This sure was one nosy fellow. Next time PLEASE do give him a piece of your mind. Or just keep asking "why do YOU want to know?" I am cheering you on!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. KA - I think you do have a point there. This is probably a cultural thing. I, personally, haven't had such rude comments from my Indian friends here that is why I didn't make that generalization. But that could have been for the fact that now I am much more confident and don't take such nonsense. I still can't open my mouth to argue with people older than me so, maybe, if an older friend here made such comment I wouldn't be able to retaliate.

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOL - enjoyed this very much. Thought I was the only one surrounded by prize idiots, but no, you are too :-)

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?