I remember reading that development of an opposable thumb was a major milestone or a benchmark in humans' evolution. Having an opposable thumb gives us a definite advantage in tasks that involve fine motor skills. Well, I recently lost the use of the opposable thumb on my right hand. I am right handed so obviously that has been a big Ouch Factor in everything I do these days.
I never realized I use my thumb in so many small tasks (I did know I use it for bigger tasks like gripping something or lifting things). Take typing for instance. Typing became a painful chore when I hurt my thumb. Then, this morning, I figured if I use the side of my thumb instead of the tip, it hurts less. (Which makes me thankful for another evolutionary development - brain) I have been able to gain some of the speed back and the Ouch Factor has been restricted. But other simple tasks such as dialing a number on the phone, typing in texts on the phone, writing, holding anything that requires support of a thumb have become excruciatingly painful. Apart from bringing out the cry-baby in me, this has also made me realize how grateful I am for being born on the top of the evolutionary ladder. I do realize I wouldn't be typing, texting or dialing if I had been anywhere lower on the evolutionary ladder anyway. But it definitely would have hurt to even pick up that club to bring the next meal in, I am sure. Or to bash the partner in the head.
Oh, and that reminds me - I am DEFINITELY very grateful that the skill of walking on two feet had already been developed, tried and tested before I made my appearance (not counting the crawling I did for a brief period of time during my infancy - that does NOT count!!). My back thanks you, my ancestors!!
So how did you type this post?
ReplyDeleteBy the way, as I type this comment, I do notice that I do not use my thumb except for maybe a couple of keys.
Sigh.
With the rest of my fingers :) Even I use the thumb only to type the "space" but even that hurts :( Hurts less if I hit the spacebar with my thumb sideways.
ReplyDeleteHope your thumb gets back to health soon :)
ReplyDeleteTake care :)
Never thought of it before, but now I realise the importance of the Thumb
ReplyDeleteHope you get soon better!
ReplyDeleteThumb is the most important body part for an IT professional!
ReplyDeletenice post
I can think about days without polar bears, days without cold beers..but not the thumb!
Get well soon :)