Wednesday, November 12, 2008

We lived to tell the tale

Tale of 13 girls and a birthday party. And then 8 girls and their sleepover. Really, if you knew how much cumulative lung power a collection of girls can carry, you'd be ringing us up and asking after our healths right now! Or maybe you'd be emailing us because we have gone deaf with all the shrieking and screaming and can't hear the phone ring now.

S' birthday was on October 31st - as it is every year, in case you didn't know. And we decided to keep it low key - mainly because I wasn't feeling up to a party right after losing my dad. I didn't want to tell her to go without a party this year either (and SHE did suggest it) because frankly, I think this is the time when we NEED all the social interaction we can get. At least I do. It takes my mind off of my loss and brings me out of the self-pity mode.

So, just 3 days before the party I sent out the invitations. A simple email, telling the occasion, date(Friday November 7th) and time(7:30 - 10:30 pm). And mentioning that this will be a Pajama party and the girls could sleep over if they wanted. I wasn't expecting anyone to accept the sleepover invitation, considering the fact that most of the parents didn't know me. But SEVEN out of the 13 girls we invited, decided to sleep over. And 12 accepted the invitation. The 13th girl couldn't come because of a sore throat.

On the day of the party, I almost didn't do anything the whole day. Just cleaned up a little bit here and there. Then started cleaning at 4, and was done by 6 with J and S' help. At 6:10 or so I stepped out to get some party supplies which included popcorn (they were going to watch a movie) and some other snacks, nailpolish, nail files and nailpolish remover for the girls who were going to sleep over (found these cute little bottles in funky colors, which the girls got to take home), an icecream cake and pizza that J had ordered over the phone. I was an epitome of efficiency that day - was back with ALL the supplies by 7:20! It included stopping at the bakery of the supermarket to add S' name to the cake.

All in all, the girls had mega fun. I never knew 10 year old girls could put away so much pizza, cheesy bread and soda/juice. AND bagsful of popcorn after eating all that! But I was well prepared. We didn't run out of food even the next morning when all the girls had breakfast before leaving. For once I was glad that my freezer and pantry are ALWAYS full of food. I didn't even have to run out for milk. Toaster Strudels, waffles, Cheerios and milk - and 8 happy (not so) little (anymore) girls.

The sleepover was fun, even if very tiring. After the others left, I handed out the nail colors and they set out to color each other's nails. Some found a few board games and played while a few others watched TV. NO arguments, NO fights, NO cattiness. The best behaved bunch of girls I have ever seen. At 12 I started sending them to brush their teeth one by one. At 12:20 or so, S oppened her gifts. Then lights out at 1 am. And then multiple reminders to the girls to go to sleep and stop shouting. Then I told them that if they woke the baby with their loud voices, she will be ALL THEIRS till the morning. THAT did the trick :) They still didn't go to sleep right away but talked only in whispers. Finally every last one of them dozed off, and I popped myself some popcorn, surfed the net and then went to sleep at 2:30 am.

All in all - a very exciting night, some good fun and a surge of confidence for mom and dad. We are now planning to have these pajama parties every now and then.




Here are a few pics:


The Cake





Watching the movie:







M settles down with Big Sis to watch the movie:

19 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun. I feel like doing a pajama party too!!! Fir myself, that is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did I not get an invitation? There's a little bit of a girl in this man's body as well. Yes, there is! I DO moisturize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ro - Yes I'd do it for myself too if I had half the number of friends closeby than she has.

    Anu - Plan to come over for her birthday next year na - Ma will be here too. Or plan for M's birthday - whichever suits you better. Or come over for no reason at all - I'd love that. You and I could stay up all night and talk like the old times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun party ... is this the first Pajama party you hosted?
    Btw, when was S first allowed for pajama party?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated happy birthday to S! Wish her many more fun birthday parties...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun!
    It brought back memories of sleepovers and makeup sessions at the middle of the night!
    Glad to know that the girls and you had a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. whattafun!! :-) Its awesome to be a girl, is'nt it? ( well, most of the times!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowwwwwwwww sounds like a fun party.. I wanna be there next time too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. CA: Yep. First Pajama party we hosted. S' first ever pajama party too - she hasn't been invited to one yet. Her first ever sleepover too.

    Amuser, Pixie, Pretty Woman, Mimi: Thanks. Yes we had a great time. And J got to look after M for the whole night - what fun!! :P Actually he was the only one who got a decent 6-7 hours' sleep since M slept till 7 am!

    Upsi: Thankoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. super fun :)

    the pic of M with her sis and friends is so cute!! its such fun being a little sister - i should know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a cool mom! Painting our nails at midnight with a fun gossip session and laugh-fest in the background - fun times!

    Cee Kay - I didn't know what to say on your last post. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww. Cute pics. Afterall you had the manicure party for the girls! Glad you all enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like they had a great time. Never underestimate the amount of food tweens and teens can consume. I will warn you that the older they get the more they eat! We used to have one for the birthday celebration and usually a couple other times during the year but living in a small flat rather than spacious house doesn't allow for this anymore. Another cool thing that I used to do was give them the digital camera...let them shoot pics and print out the little wallet sized ones while they watch movies, give them a bunch of scrapbooking paper, pens, shape scissors and let them make their own memory to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late Latifa as usual - but sounds like one great party

    ReplyDelete
  15. damn I miss all the fun :) am sure it was a blast.. and i hope she has a great year ahead

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like an awesome party. I want to go to a pajama party too, I do, I do, I do.

    I am so sorry for your loss, CK. Having been through it myself just a few years back, I can understand the need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like the girls had fun. Sounds like you had fun too.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?