In April '08, I flew to India for my mom's retirement party. All alone. No husband to chaperon me, no children to be chaperoned. A cousin arranged a taxi for me to go to Jaipur (from New Delhi), from where I caught a train to Jodhpur. I had never travelled alone in India so this was a big deal for me. I thought I had finally "grown up". I was a Big girl. It seems I was wrong. Turns out one becomes a Big Girl, or a Big Boy, within moments when one loses a parent.
So, I grew up and became a Big Girl on October 4th, 2008. 11:45 pm IST. Pa was in a hospital (one of the best in the region, by the way), awaiting a bypass surgery which was scheduled for Monday, October 6th, when he experienced a massive heart attack. He was taken to the ICU within three minutes, but nothing could save him. Even in his last moments, he did what he had been doing all his life - worried about his wife, my mother. He told the doctors "Meri wife ka dhyaan rakhna, wo bahut jaldi ghabra jaati hain" [take care of my wife, she gets scared easily] And then he left. Just like that.
He experienced angina pains one morning when he was out on his daily walk. He got chest pains, started sweating and then got nauseous. He rested on a bench for a bit and then walked to a nearby nursing home. There, the doctors administered an ECG and determined he was having angina pains. They had someone drop him off at home with the instructions to rest and see a cardiologist as soon as possible. When he saw one, he was advised to get an angiography done for which he and Ma decided to go to Jaipur. We were all hoping that it would turn out be some minor blockage that could be treated/controlled with medication. But against all hopes, it turned out that he had 90% blockage in three arteries. Bypass surgery was required and one was scheduled as soon as enough blood of his blood group (A-) was secured. This was on Saturday evening. Soon after that he suffered the heart attack.
He was in the hospital (in Jaipur) for 4 days. I spoke to him multiple times every day. Even during all this health scare he was his usual jocular self - he told J that all this was his ploy to get Ma to part with the money she received upon retiring. He told Ma that he was having all the heart trouble due to the stress that was caused by Ma constantly breaking all his records in Mahjong. On the morning of October 4th, he told me he was surprised how much food the hospital gave him - which meant he must have been eating very little earlier (he did lose a few kgs in 15 days).
It is beginning to sink in that I will never see him again. I still remember how his big, rough hands made me feel like a little girl. Even at the age of 38. His awkward hugs made my heart melt. That won't happen again. I will never again hear a message from him saying "Haan Cee, mai bol raha hu.....". I will not hear a "Happy Birthday" or a "Happy New Year" from him ever again. What a price to pay for growing up!!
Big Hugs CK. I have no words.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine your pain & sorrow. Will pray to the one above to give you the strength you need at this time!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about your dad. Love,S
ReplyDeleteHugs! I know exactly how you feel. 2 yrs back I lost my dad in Nov after a month of battling it out in the hospital. I wish I never had to grow up this way.
ReplyDeleteA very heartfelt post cee.. my condolences, again.
ReplyDeleteHugs and more hugs CeeKay...
ReplyDeleteI pray that God gives you and your family the strength you need during these troubled times...
Ohh Cee..no words only HUGS and lots of 'em.
ReplyDeleteHello Cee Kay,
ReplyDeleteI cam across your blog from Mad Momma's. Sorry to hear about your dad. Loosing a parent is very very sad. I have no words to console you. Only time can heal.
You blog is really a good read. Will read all of your posts when time permits.
I am so sorry to hear that Cee Kay...noone can fill that void....May his soul rest in peace and May God give you the strength to come to terms with this loss.
ReplyDeleteI wish I did'nt have to delurk with this sad news!
Am so sorry to hear about your loss.
ReplyDeleteGosh! Soo touching.. tears in my eyes. soo sorry to hear about your Dad. may God give you and your family all the strength...
ReplyDeleteI am very sorry to know abt the unfortunate turn of events Cee! A big hug to u and prayers for strength for ur family. May his sould rest in peace!
ReplyDeleteAm so sorry. Prayers for you and your mom
ReplyDeleteNandini
Tears in my eyes. May you have the strength. Take care CK.
ReplyDeleteExtremely sorry to hear the news.
ReplyDeleteBig Big Hugs CK!!
ReplyDeleteI will keep you and your family in my prayers.
A big Hug Ceekay. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad.
ReplyDeleteYour previous post made me call my dad immediately, just to hear his voice. I can only imagine your pain.
Yup Cee. I became a big girl at age nine. And am still missing my dad at age 37. So it never really ends.
ReplyDeleteaw, cee, what a beautiful post. my condolences. may your dad rest in peace. hugs!
ReplyDeleteI am very very sorry Ceekay. Even though he is not around, his love and memories will stay on forever. Please stay strong for your mom. HUGS.
ReplyDelete*hugs*
ReplyDeleteGlad you are getting it all out Cee. I'm so sorry about your loss. Glad you are getting through it.
ReplyDeletePriya.
priyainsuburbia.wordpress.com
Hugs love. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your dad CeeKay ...
ReplyDeleteYou made me cry ... when the post can cause so much pain to me, I can imagine how much you are currently pained by the turn of events.
How is your mother doing? I hope God gives the strength to your family to face these hard times.
Hugs, Cee. This post brought tears with the Whys and What ifs.
ReplyDeleteDear Cee...
ReplyDeleteI'm shocked to hear this. So truly sorry. Reading your post really hurts. Sending you, your mom and all your family my prayers. There's really no way out of this, other than to just live each day, is there?
So sad.
-T!
Big hugs, Cee. That hits somewhere so raw I just can't say anything else.
ReplyDeletemade me teary cee. hug.
ReplyDeleteHugs C..
ReplyDeleteHugs again.
ReplyDelete*hugs*
ReplyDeletelots and lots of hugs CK.
ReplyDeleteLove.
I am so sorry.
ReplyDeletePlease take care. I wish you and your family all the strength
no words Ceekay...
ReplyDeletejust lots of love and Prayers-
How is your mother?
hugs
ardra
Asaan, Sands, S: Thanks. It is prayers and concern from friends like you that keep me going.
ReplyDeleteLaksh: I am sorry for your loss too. Does it ever get easier?
Dottie, Pixie, Mimi: Thanks dearos.
Sumana: Thanks. And thanks for dropping by.
Pretty Woman: Thanks. And thanks for delurking at this tough time - means a lot to me.
Compulsive Dreamer, Neera, Rohini, Nandini: Thanks a lot.
Preetischronicle, Beaches-and-hills, Timepass: Thanks for the condolences and the prayers. Means a lot.
ReplyDeleteChips: Thanks. Yes, call him frequently. I say so to J too. This has brought on the realization how fickle life is - I am glad I told him often that I loved him.
Kiran: Becoming a big girl at 9 must have been infinitely tough. Hugs.
Mona, Usha, Rohini, Priya, Subhashree, Chox, Gooddaysunshine, GND, Amuser, 2 B's mommy, Chandni: Thanks for the prayers, hugs and concern. All the support I have received has been overwhelming and healing.
ReplyDeleteArdra, Pridera: Ma is coping well. Thanks for asking. It HAS been very tough for her but she is a strong woman. Losing your partner of 40 years can't be easy - especially when you lose him so suddenly. But Ma has also been very fortunate that she has the suport of her siblings and many friends.
Tharini: Thanks for the prayers. You said it - there is no other way out of it than to live through it.
Suki: I am so sorry darling. Hugs.
hugs to u CK.I dont have words to express my feelings..
ReplyDeleteHe sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThanks Vaishali and MG.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you Ceekay. Heartfelt condolences.
ReplyDeleteYour Dad's concern for your mom is what brought tears to my eyes. May you and your family be sustained by wonderful memories of your remarkable father.
ReplyDeleteI live in terror of losing any one of my parents because I know it will happen one day. I don't think there is anything harder in this world than to come to terms with the loss of one's loved ones. Take care.
ReplyDeleteHugs Cee. I can really imagine what you have gone through.
ReplyDeleteThere are days when I still hope that a miracle will happen and my Ma will be with us again. Even if for a few days.