My mind is boggled. I had heard this happens, but never thought it would happen to US! You know how we always assume bad things happen to others but never, once, think about what if they happened to us? Yes, like that. Maybe it isn't all that terrible. Maybe I am over reacting.
Yeah. That's what it is. I AM over reacting. On purpose. To draw you in, create a mysterious air. So that when you are three paragraphs deep into the post and find out it was only about me breaking a leg, you'll say "I've come this far, let me read this to the end". Only, it isn't about me breaking my leg. There. Gotcha!!
Sorry folks. I am in a silly mood today :) Couldn't help but take your trip. What I am really bugged about is the use of calculators in ELEMENTARY schools. Now, if you are one of those who think it's no big deal, please PLEASE do take a minute and leave me a comment with your views on this. I am just not able to comprehend why a 5th grader would need to use a calculator. And I did ask my daughter to show me the problems that she was told by her teacher to use a calculator for.
1.5 x 1,000
4,000 / 1,000
1.5 x 10
I am not kidding. I copied these questions directly from her homework assignment. This, for a kid who is already solving simple linear equations in one variable at KUMON. She is doing JUNIOR HIGH ALGEBRA at KUMON. And she has been told by her class teacher she could use a calculator to solve problems like the ones I have listed above. Now, I accept that the teacher said "could", but anyone who knows how 9 year old kids' minds work will immediately know that for them a "could" uttered by their teacher means "should".
My problem is not how to stop her from using a calculator, and I will list my reasons shortly. My problem is how to make her understand that she doesn't need to. That I am not a parent from hell for making her use her brains. That she is not uncool for not using a calculator. That, in fact, she should be considered super-cool for not needing a calculator for the stupid problems. How, in this screwed-up society where anyone doing good in academics is immediately ostracized for being a nerd, can I protect my daughter from the heartache that she will definitely face sometime in the future for being good at what she is supposed to be doing at school - studies. These are a few of my problems. Another problem is - how do I strike a balance between letting my daughter experience the thrill of finally using a calculator like older kids and making her use her brain for math that comes as easy to her as a tumble in the grass?
Now my reason for not wanting her to use a calculator for such simple math. It will rot her brains. As simple as that. OK - I am being dramatic. But what I mean is, she will lose her mathematical skills if she doesn't use them on a regular basis. Anyone who has studied math (and enjoyed it) would agree that math is all about practice. The more you practice, the better you get. The less you practice, more you forget. So if she starts using a calculator for such problems, she will start forgetting the simples principles and methods. We are not talking about someone who has been multiplying-dividing for a better part of 15 years. If that person starts using a calculator, they don't run the risk of forgetting the basic concepts. Though I can say with surety that they WILL lose some of their speed if they use the calculator long enough (not that it matters - if they are using math just for their day-to-day activities). But if a 9 year old, who has done multiplication-division for only a couple of years, and who still needs practice to keep up with her skills, starts using a calculator, you can be damn sure she is going to forget some concepts. She already did - couldn't figure out where to place the decimal point in the first problem.
I hate this trend of dumbing things down for the sake of those who can't keep up. We don't spend time in bringing the ones struggling up to the par. We push the others, who are doing well, down to their level. J and I didn't use calculators until we reached college. The first time I used a SIMPLE calculator (not a scientific one) was in B.Sc. second year for differential math. We studied trigonometry and probability, among other topics in 12th grade and weren't allowed to use calculators. So forgive me if I scoff at the idea of using a calculator for these stupid math problems.
So J and I explained our reasoning to her. She wasn't happy. She says even though she is sad over our decision, she can "live with it". I did propose a compromise - she can use the calculator occasionally in school, but not for her homework. And we told her we will revisit the issue once the problems they are working upon get more difficult. You see, if the rest of the class uses calculators and she doesn't, she will fall behind on the basis of speed. Which means either the class will have to wait for her or she will miss some problems. So when it becomes she can't keep up with their speed, we will let her use a calculator. But then THAT makes me mad. Why should a child have to use a calculator just because other kids are using it. When she is perfectly capable of doing all that math mentally? I will bring this up during the parent-teacher conferences in November but I don't think I am going to get a satisfactory answer. So I have to find an answer of my own. I have to strike my own balance. Any suggestions?
Usually these kind of problems are given when the teacher is trying to show the kids some pattern recognition. Example 1.5X 1000 = 1500
ReplyDelete1.5 X 100 = 15 and so on. The exercise here is not one for multiplication per se, but showing them multiplication with powers of 10. It gets a little hard for all the kids in the class to be able to 'see' the pattern if they are embroiled in the multiplication. So they encourage usage of calculators. I don't particularly like it, but my compromise for this problem was to ask my son to do it the long way( if it is homework) and check his answers using a calculator.
I was not good at Math ,but my teacher in class 10 made it so interesting I did manage to score 80%. I agree with Maha Vishnu, actually I did that too , though not exactly in 5th grade. She gets to practice and have fun with the calculator.
ReplyDeletePS: If youdont mind my curosity which school were you in?
:D
OMG! calculators for a 9 yr old. I would be as pissed as you are. What next - learn with calculators ? So you don't use brains at all.
ReplyDeleteI agree. This does encourage a person to be super dependent on machines. Perhaps you could get the kid to help you in doing day-to-day math.. like adding grocery bills or figuring out total discount from coupons or stuff...
ReplyDeleteI am with you on this one - my son is in year-6 and hasn't used calculator yet, not even at school ( thank God)as they are still learning strategies to do maths. But soon he will go to year-7 ( next february) and when I went to look for some year-7 maths to give him a head start during upcoming summer vacations, I was shocked to see ' use a calculator to find out the answers' for real simple addition and multiplications i nthe workbook. I had to tell him not to use the calculator and do it mentally/manually and I hope that they won't let him use calculator at school next year. He is a bright student who is in top group in his class and I just don't think that he needs to use calculator at this age - my dad always said that maths is important for brain as physical exercise is important for body to keep it running.
ReplyDeletehmm.. Ashwina is in 4th grade and I'm sure she(I) would be facing this very issue in the near future.
ReplyDeleteTake this with a bit of masala..I hate MATHS. I sucked at it. I barely passed..I hated praticing it, hated the rules and hated everything. So when I could use calculator, it made my life so much easier and made maths bearable.
Ashwina is much better in Maths than I was/am. Her first love is however English and reading and writing. If I feel using the calculator will make her life easier, I will let her do it.
Seriously if she can come up with the right answer in the end with or without a calculator that's all that matters? A good question to ask her would be does she feel more confident with the answer if she uses a calculator?
ReplyDeleteHeck I grew up and was educated in India until college and never used a calculator for math. Now when I have to calculate medicine dosages based on kids' weight in the ER I may do the math in my head but I always double, triple, quadruple check it with a calculator before I put in a order or write a prescription. It's about putting in the righ number at the end no matter hopw you arrive at it. Right? :-)
i know what you mean, sometimes, i'm just lazy to use my brain and open up the calculator app even for simple arithmetic!
ReplyDeleteso basically, what you're telling is that our school-system here is teaching kids to be lazy!!!Hmmm...
The facts/concepts makes some sense, but that's the whole point isn't it - that the kids should be able to solve 1.5*1000 in no time???
i like your solution of using calculators in school and not at home.
will keep that in mind :)
Dottie was telling me that she saw calculators in our county's 2nd grade supply list (What she was doing looking at the 2nd grade supply list with a only 3 year old is something I'm yet to tease her about ;)
btw, I'm seriously contemplating stopping kumon entirely and switching to MathWizard...not able to decide for the few positives that Kumon has despite its notoriety!
agree with you cee kay. i wouldn't be happy too.
ReplyDeleteyou have machines that can do the calculations so why waste resources on doing them - maybe that is the logic?
CeeKay,
ReplyDeletethat is strange...no calculators in schools here until high-school (TX) - I'm really surprised they asked the kids to use calculators for these problems.
We don't do calculators for basic math either - the kids know that, and actually are kind of proud that we can add/subtract long columns of numbers byhand/mentally (weekly accts etc.)
- my older one is only in 3rd grade now, though - maybe his perception will change in a couple of years.
M
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I am going to be away from the blog for about 15 days. Will reply to your comments after that.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe schools these days teach this! I was taken to task by my profs and friends during engg because I'd spend an extra minute to work on some stupid numericals using my brains and not using the calculator. Its fun to play with numbers. My love for numbers started at your daughter's age and it continues to date. I love solving puzzles involving numbers.. show her how much fun it is to find out whether a number in front of your eyes is divisible by 3, 6, 7, 9, 11 and using only and only ur brains.. not even ur hands and fingers to calculate! I am sure it will work out coz thats how my love for math and calculations started. All the best! :)
ReplyDeleteAm very bad at math and would have jumped at the chance of using a calculator ins chool, but am so glad they did not let us use one. Agree with you, it is dumbing down.
ReplyDeleteOh my god. You're giving me a glimpse at the stuff that's going to drive me UP THE WALL when R starts kg next year. Totally agree with you.
ReplyDeleteMini me still really doesn't use a calculator for math. She isn't the most brilliant math student but she works hard at it and seems to understand better conceptually if she learns to work the problems by hand. I think everything up to trig can more or less be worked by hand easily. The thing that irritated me the most being a non-traditional college student at a ripe old age was taking a math class and having the class taught around the damn calculator. I have to see the process to understand it, not just punch in a sequence. My suggestion is to not allow calculator use unless it's for square roots or trig functions.
ReplyDeleteNot sure what to say to this... We were allowed to "play" with calculators!! But, never to do a math problem till I reached college... Where, it was mandatory to carry a "scientific calculator" to class as well as exams...
ReplyDeleteBut, I do agree that calculators for a 9 yr old is a bit too much too soon...
good lord!!! it this for real??
ReplyDeleteWhat will these kids do when they reach the 10th std??
Hi, my first time here...don't know how I stumbled upon it..maybe because our blog-names are similar..anyway, glad that I did. Enjoyed reading this post. I could feel your exasperation and dilemma...Wow, no idea what I'd have done in such a situation..Would love to hear more about it...Mind if I blogroll you?
ReplyDeleteHello everyone: I am sorry for not replying to the comments. In a few days...
ReplyDelete