Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A field trip and a few questions

Warning: A jumbled post ahead. Read at the risk of getting a migraine!

S went on a Team building field trip with her class this Monday to the YMCA in a town about 27 miles from here. Parents volunteered to drive the kids to and from there. Most field trips are like that - parents volunteer to chaperon or drive. I got laid off from my job last month so I grabbed this opportunity to go on a field trip with my daughter and get to see her classmates, to see how she interacts with them and to generally be with her.

There were two instructors who led the entire class through some fun games and activities that also help build team spirit. First they played a modified version of tag, then were given a "puzzle" which they solved by brainstorming together. All the while the instructors were driving home the point that things get easier when you work as a team, and that working as a team also means listening to your team. A very important lesson for 9 and 10 year old kids, believe me. Heck, an important lesson for many adults I know.

Then they were led into the woods on the YMCA property for more activities. One was rock climbing. They had a 45 feet tall wall made for rock climbing. The kids were told they will each get one chance to climb it but they had the "right to pass". S' school has this concept of "right to pass" where any child can take a pass on any activity if they don't feel comfortable doing it. I think it is a good idea because it prevents hurt self-esteems of kids who are forced to do something and fail, and it reduces teasing to a great extent. Everyone knows that all kids have the right to pass, so no one gets teased for opting out of an activity. Also, those who try and fail feel better that they at least tried.

Most of the kids tried, one opted to pass. Then when he saw how much fun it was to be swung down on a rope, he decided to give it a try too. The first kid climbed the ladder (the base of the wall was about 10 feet above ground and they had to use a ladder to get there) and as soon as he grabbed the first rock, he got scared and wanted to come down. No big deal, as these were just 10 year old kids. S went next and she decided she couldn't proceed after climbing 2 or 3 rocks. Down she came. Then the 3rd or 4th kid climbed the wall all the way to top and rang the bell. After that two girls scaled the entire wall. And there were a few other kids from the second group who did it too. The most interesting part of the wall climbing exercise was the reaction of the first boy's (let's call him R) dad, Mr. G. When the first girl climbed the wall to the top, he said out loud "Are you boys going to let a girl beat you?"

Later we proceeded to another activity where there were 5 tyres hanging from a rope tied between two tall trees. The tyres hung at different heights and the challenge was to move from one tyre to the other without touching the ground. If someone got stuck their teammates helped out by swinging into them to push them towards the next tyre. The first kid to reach the last tyre held on to the second-last tyre so they could swing it out to the next person. If someone touched the ground, they started all over again. R couldn't manage to do this one either and he really didn't mind. He was busy having fun, which WAS the ultimate goal. N, the girl who had scaled the wall, did this one fairly easily too. So Mr. G started pushing his son to do it because he couldn't "let a girl win". He was encouraging the girls and complimenting them on the accomplishments too, but he also kept saying "are you going to let a girl beat you?" all the time. I guess he thought he was providing a challenge and encouragement to the boys. He even got upset at his son because his son "is a boy scout and should be able to do such activities easily". The son, at one point, got upset at him for which I really don't blame him. When this had been going on for about 15-20 minutes, one boy turned to Mr. G (right after one of his "Are you gonna let a girl beat you?" remarks) and said "Mr. G, ever heard of being a gentleman?" to which Mr. G replied an enthusiastic "Of course!" The boy turned back and muttered loud enough for all of us to hear "Of course you have!". I gave him a mental high-five. Mr. G went strangely quiet after that, though he still did make sure that his son completed that activity at least ONE time.

What IS it with over-competitive parents? Can't they let their kids be? Just once let them enjoy the ride and not worry about the destination? Someone told me about a mom who was asking another parent about a technology magnet middle school in a nearby town. One of her questions? "How many kids from this school make it to Harvard and MIT?" I mean, come on! You are talking about middle school students. Give them an ambition by all means, but don't go around with a rigid yardstick for measuring success. S is very good at math. She is doing junior high algebra at KUMON while the rest of her class is still struggling with double digit multiplication and long division. While I would like for her to go into technology field (the sole reason being J and I understand technology better than we understand anything else and I know she has a similar aptitude), she has expressed interest in becoming a vet. I know at this age ambitions are not permanent. They can change a million times before they arrive at the point where they actually have to choose a career. But I would never even dream of telling S that one career could be better over something of her choice. Yes, I would like to give her facts, and maybe ask her to weigh her decision carefully (when she is old enough to make such decisions) but I would NEVER tell her what she should do. Then sometimes I think maybe I am doing this all wrong? Maybe I should push her, force her, tell her, impose my wishes a little more on her? I dunno. I sincerely hope I am doing the right thing.

Another thing that struck me at the field trip was the other extreme of this "make every kid feel valued" movement. Know how "all kids are special"? Which translates to "losers are as successful as winner because... well, because ALL of us are special". What IS it with this killing of the competitive spirit? A little, healthy competition can be very good for kids. They learn a lot of things from it - sportsman spirit, the drive to succeed, how to be a graceful loser. When the first kid scaled the climbing wall, S' teacher declared every kid who reached the top of that wall will receive five "school dollars". In S' school, kids receive these fake dollars for good behavior or a good academic performance etc. They can save these dollars and buy anything from the school store (that carries donated, but new, items or things like homework passes etc.) When the teacher declared the award, one kid immediately piped up - "It isn't fair to kids who can't get to the top". That really amused me and also made me a little sad and concerned. We have made our kids so politically correct that they have forgotten (or maybe never learnt) that good performance is awarded with rewards while a less-than-good performance doesn't get anything. That, to get a reward, you need to put in little more effort. It IS sad, isn't it? What also bothered me was that the teacher didn't grab that opportunity to discuss this with the kid(s).

Today I went to S' school to meet with the teacher who runs the Academically Talented (AT) program. A child needs to be placed in "Advanced" level for reading and writing to be recommended for AT. S missed the advanced level in writing by just 5 points (a small margin) and in reading by 15 points (a bigger one). So I know she cannot be recommended for the program, and she understands that too. And frankly, I am not very concerned about it either. In my opinion, the AT program does give them an opportunity to do many interesting things but it doesn't make or break anything for them academically. I just wanted to understand the procedure and requirements for being placed in advance placement classes in middle or high school. During my conversation with the teacher, she mentioned that I can tell S that apart from her actual performance, there are many other "stupid" factors that decide whether a student can be in AT or not. She meant to say - your daughter's lower-than-required score is not her fault. Well, I disagreed with her. My daughter's scores - good or bad - ARE a result of her efforts. Just like she won't credit someone else for a good score, she can't blame someone else for a bad one either.

I have seen and heard of parents covering for their kids bad performances in tests. Moms call professors in their kids' college to "talk" about their scores. I don't know - if my parents ever did that, I would have disowned them for humiliating me so completely. Parents hover over their kids while they do their homework, write their reports for them. This might be considered "good parenting" but I am sure the college professors won't be receiving a phone call from this mom. If my daughter didn't study for an exam, she WILL face the consequences. When will we let our kids take the responsibility for their actions and face the music? The sooner we do that in their lives, the better it is for them. This lesson learnt early in life means there are less costly mistakes further down the line. When will the parents understand that?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, some lessons are better learnt in childhood, they are much easier to learn then.

    In my case I have this senseless fear of failure that's not letting me take my driving test yet. 'You CAN drive - why don't you give the test and take a chance?' The husband is fed up with menow !!!

    But I have never failed before, how can I take a chance? - is how I think. :( I now wish I had pushed myself a little more in school, tried different things I wasn't good at and not been such a scared puss all the time!

    You are a role model in parenting for me CK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful , well thought out and balanced post.

    I have had these similar thought on exactly all the same topics that you have covered in your post and thought so much about it that i could write a book on it.

    And in the end I have come to the conclusion is that self confidence is the number one key to success.

    Vinita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of issues touched there, Charu :).
    My take on competition is that each one of us has to find a niche to fill. A niche of our own, where no one can take our place. It could be home, career, friend circle, voluntary work - anything. It's okay not to be the best in a competition, it's okay to lose sometimes, but in the end we all have to learn to feel good about ourselves, and put in the required effort.

    Oh, as for the ubiquitous "She would have got so much more had she only studied a bit!", here's what a teacher I know has to say -
    "Who prevented them?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cee, your parenting is always so well considered, and so well thought out. I am sure S will learn many valuable lessons from both her parents. The field trip sounds most educational, and not just for the kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminded me of a guy in my MS class, who during the 2nd yr, decided to slow down and take it easy with the applying for internships and such. When the rest of us went mad hearing his decision, his reply was, "I don't want to be sucked into this rat race. Anyways, I still will reach the same end line as u people, but only slowly and happily." I admired him for his courage to step back and enjoy the school life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post ceekay. i'd have high-fived the kid too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Devaki, realization would be half the battle won. Go for the test! It will definitely turn out to be another thing you didn't fail at :D BTW, I failed my first driving test and it was so mortifying to have friends pass it in one go. But in the end that didn't matter.

    Vinita - Thank you! Write a blogpost at least. I would very much like to know your thoughts and opinions. I agree self confidence is the number one key to success. And to contentment.

    Suki - Pliss to remember that I blog anonymously :) When S was in preschool, her teacher told me "Homework is HER job. Your job is to provide her an environment where she can study" I have stuck to that and that has made S very independent as far as her homework and studies are concerned.

    Dipali: Thanks! Yes, I love S' school for this reason. They do many such hands-on things to teach life's invaluable lessons.

    Shobana: The competitiveness of parents of our generation scares me the most. Our parents were very chilled out in this respect. At least mine were.

    Mona: I'll pass on the high-fives. Mentally of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post as usual ceekay. your kids are lucky to have such a sorted out mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long time no hear...but worth the wait. As always you have left me loaded with questions...
    I completely agree and am against insincere praises that give kids a false sense of worthiness...
    The post was not jumbled at all, because your thoughts on the matter are clear.

    Regarding pushing, I sometimes think I push T1 more than I should, but frankly she is a smart kid and is capable of so much more! I only want to help her realize and reach her potential. Like I mentioned to you earlier, planning to stop Kumon Reading after next month...Hopefully that'll leave us with more time to do better things :)
    Nice that you were able to chaperone for the field trip. Something good out of tough times too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely points Cee. I loved how you brought out both sides of the coin and talked about the need for a balance in our approach. Very well thought out and elucidated post. I think you are doing a marvellous job with S, and you will know when is the time to 'push' her, if need be.

    And what a fantastic point...that its important to let kids make their mistakes now, when the repercussions are still softer, than later when a mistake has a costly price. I'll remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awsome post Cee! Love the way you think through all the parenting aspects. I took away a few valuable points from here. Thank you! :-)

    And the camp sounds so much fun learning for the kids. I am happy for you that you got to attend and we got to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?