Last night I cried. Not big, heaving sobs, but a brief, quiet, tears-flowing-down-my-face kind of crying. I cried because I and my husband saw a "bump" on my abdomen for the first time in this pregnancy. And then "The Peanut" KICKED!!! I have been feeling movements for quite some time now, but this was the first kick that even my husband felt very clearly. I cried because before I got pregnant with IVF, I had given up hope on ever being able to feel that kick again. I had given up hope that I would ever experience the joys and discomforts of pregnancy again. That kick brought the realization that I AM pregnant. Almost into my third trimester now, actually. That there IS a baby inside me. Really. I keep forgetting that I am pregnant, what with all the running around I am doing all day long. Even though I am BIG! No - make that HUGE!! Each movement brings the same realization back - I AM PREGNANT!! I am not exaggerating. I really do get that sense of wonder with every movement.
I have hardly written anything about the pregnancy. Partly because I have been so busy and partly because it all still feels so surreal. Its like I am in a dream, nervous that as soon as I wake up, every thing will go back to "normal". One husband, one kid, one un-pregnant me.
I haven't even mentioned that we tried to find out the sex of the baby. But couldn't because the baby wouldn't co-operate. We have finally decided that the baby is a girl - because "she" so stubbornly refused to come out from under the placenta to help us find out. (That was the doctor's opinion!) So much so, that we had to schedule another ultra-sound because the doctor couldn't even get a good look at the heart, the brain and other organs which an 20 week ultra-sound is conducted for. By the next appointment, we had decided we didn't want to find out after all. But we are still sure the baby is a girl. Also because my daughter wants a baby sister. She says she is ready to share her room with the baby if it is a girl but if it turns out to be a boy, we will have to find another room for him :D So, a girl it is!!
The day before yesterday, I was very tired and uncomfortable because I had had this sore spot in my abdomen that made even normal breathing painful and ANY movement impossible. I guess The Peanut had found a comfortable spot against my ribs with her feet pushing against my abdomen wall and spent all day there. By evening, I was miserable. My daughter took one look at me and said "Come mommy, I'll take you to your 'personal relaxing place'!" She told me to close my eyes, took me by my hand and walked me to the office and sat me down in the chair in front of the computer. I thought she meant to say "Here, do what you like the most - play Spider Solitaire". But - NO. Then she turned the chair around, got me a stool to prop my feet up on and then proceeded to take my shoes off. After that, she started giving me a foot massage!! Then followed a hand/palm massage with her little fingers and then a neck massage. Then she rolled and rotated my neck gently to loosen up the stiff muscles and then made me stretch my arms out and did the same thing with them. In the end she massaged my scalp. THE WHOLE PERSONAL SPA TREATMENT!!!!!!!! From an 8 YEAR OLD!! I mean where DID she learn all that from?!! I was overcome with emotion. And I thanked God for my beautiful little daughter. Who takes care of her mother like a mother would.
THANK YOU AGAIN, GOD!
Congrats to you!! I'm so glad things are proceeding well. And your daughter is going to make a fantastic big sister.
ReplyDeletelucky u for such a great personal spa person/.. all the best for the baby
ReplyDeleteSaw your comment on Mad Momma's post on breastfeeding (about planning to pump) and, since you had problems earlier, just wanted to say:
ReplyDelete1. I know you'll be tired, but get pumping as early as possible, preferably by the second week after delivery. Even an ounce at a time, even if you only throw it away. You need to figure out how to be really comfortable with your pump, what position works for you etc, and it's stressful if you only start pumping when you absolutely have to have that milk.
2. They have some helpful ideas at www.breastfeeding.com.
I thought pumping was all about turning on the pump and sitting there -- and it ain't!
Hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice.
:)
P.S.
Yes, you are lucky.
very sweet post...touching...
ReplyDeletewishing you all the very best...
love nd prayers
ardra
such a touching post! I wish you luck and good health with baby 2. and you are such a lucky woman - you have such a loving, caring daughter!
ReplyDeleteSeriously! Can I borrow your daughter!
ReplyDeleteMint: Thanks. I am sure she will make a terrific big sis, but I can also see some anxiety budding in her :D After all, she is about to lose her "Center of the Universe" status!
ReplyDeleteItchy: Thanks for the good wishes. And yes - "personal spa person" is all I could ever ask for!
Sunayana: Thanks for the helpful suggestions and the link. All advice on breast feeding is welcome. Haven't checked it out yet, but will do so definitely. I have a co-worker who is very diligent about breast feeding and pumps at work about every 2 hours. I am learning a lot from her.
Ardra: Thanks for the good wishes and prayers.
Something To Say: Thanks. I thanks my lucky starts each day for the wonderful daughter and husband I have.
Rohini: You are welcome to come over for as many days as you want and enjoy her. I wouldn't part with her for the world - not yet.
Oh well, I COULD send her over to your place if we were neighbors :) There are very few people I trust with my daughter, you know. And I am sure you would be one of them.
I sometimes think it will be a difficult adjustment for me when she goes to college. I might even buy/rent an apartment next doors to her and live where she goes to college :P
Something to Say: Read "I THANK my lucky STARS....". What a messed you typist I am!
ReplyDeleteThat was a cute gesture from your daughter.God bless her.
ReplyDeleteand this is why we want daughters...because they just understand you so well.. Bless her. and all the best.. i already miss my bump though she's been out only 6 days.
ReplyDeleteHipGMom: Its amazing when kids come up with such tenderness, isn't it? To see them transform from self-centered beings into caring ones is shocking, to say the least :D
ReplyDeleteMadMomma: Yes - I always wanted AT LEAST one daughter. When I was expecting my daughter, I prayed to God that it should be a daughter because then I'd be "safe" (i.e. no matter what gender the next baby would be, I'd have my one daughter). Kiss The Bean "Welcome to this world" from me.
Oh wow...that's so lovely. I came here thru your comment on Mad Momma's blog. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I just finished with my second and last one, and already feel nostalgic reading this post. I hope to follow this space henceforth...so keep posting. :)
ReplyDeleteYour aughter is a little angel. I am amazed and astounded that she found all those gentle moves to ease you. I guess when love flows uninhibited, the result is perfection!
There now, you made me get all misty eyed and teary sitting in the office, and getting strange looks from people around...
ReplyDelete