Thats what I call my role as a parent. I openly agree that being a parent has made me more patient (much to the relief of people who work with me). I now understand that people have their limitations and that everyone cannot be as quick or perfect as I'd like them to be. Not that I am quick or perfect. But can that stop anyone from expecting others to be so? Here is a "before-and-after" scenario -
THEN
I ask my DH (darling husband) to get a bottle of sundried tomatoes out of the refrigerator.
I: Can you please get me the bottle of sundried tomatoes from the fridge?
DH (opens the fridge): I can't see it.
I: It's there, right in front of you!
DH: Nope. can't see it.
I:WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T SEE IT?? YOU HAVE EYES DON'T YOU? IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE BOTTOM SHELF. $#@$#@#!#@#!!!
After this, obviously, DH would leave the kitchen furiously muttering under his breath and I would stay in the kitchen fuming...
NOW
I: Can you please get me the bottle of sundried tomatoes from the fridge?
DH (opens the fridge): I can't see it.
I: It's there, right in front of you!
DH: Nope. can't see it.
I: Look at the bottom shelf. (Now assume DH is following my directions)
Now, look in the back, left corner. Do you see the milk carton? (Yes he does!)
Its right behind that. NO, NO!! Take the milk carton out of there first. Right! Now take the bottle out. Thanks!! Don't forget to put the milk back in.
After this, DH usually helps around the kitchen a little more and I happily cook away :)
This is not the only way in which I have changed after becoming a parent. There was a time I was terrified of all bugs, despised them with all my might and seeing even a dead one anywhere in a 10 ft radius would send me in a screaming frenzy (OK I exaggerated a little bit, but you get the picture) Last week, my daughter came home with a weekend assignment - find a bug/worm and bring it to school. Not once did the thought of asking my husband to help her entered my mind. So here we were - my daughter and I - all ready with gloves and sticks and a box, hunting for bugs. It was actually a family affair. We did find one big, fat worm. And I am very proud to say that I was the one to pick it up and put it in the box :D So now my daughter has a new hobby - everywhere she goes, she is looking for worms. One day, when I picked her up from the bus stop after school, she happily declared - "I found two bugs today. And I named them Brucee and Trucee. I lost Brucee (pout) but Trucee is still in my pocket". "WHAT? In your POCKET???" "Yeah mom. Don't worry, I put some dirt in there too, to keep him happy". Unfortunately Trucee slipped out of her hand too while we were driving back to home. So now we have one lost, probably terrified worm somewhere in our car looking for his way back to the warm, cozy, "dirtful" pocket of the only person that ever loved it with her whole heart. And one VERY proud mom - proud because her daughter is so sensitive she would even fill her pocket with dirt to keep one teeny-tiny worm happy.
Ok, so what none of us could achieve in 30 odd years was done by a three year old? Wow!!!
ReplyDeleteI really like the last paragraph. You should write more often. Even if it is just something mundane.
Thanks for the encouragement. Blogging does take a lot of stress off of my mind. Better than having everything bottled up.
ReplyDeleteLovely post! And did you finally find poor little Trucee?
ReplyDeleteThanks Anumita. No, unfortunately Trucee was never seen again. We did bring home some other worms later that week and they stayed with us for over 10 days. Then my daughter released them back into the mulch where she picked them up from. Right now her class is studying insects so she goes looking around for them. I wonder what will she do when they study other animals like lions, tigers, elephants and even goats!! Just a thought :D
ReplyDeletehahahahahhahaa!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete:-) What is it with husbands and finding stuff around the house! Mine is EXACTLY the same! I almost thought you were describing a scene in my house there. ;-)
ReplyDeleteSo motherhood is going to make me more patient in such situations, eh? Hmmmp! We'll see!
jottingAndMusings: :) I guess it must be that Y chromosome.
ReplyDeleteAs for developing patience, anything will seem easy once you have been through even one session of 10,563 "Are we there yet?" questions :P [I am talking about a short trip to the grocery store :D Raise the number to about 71 for out of state trips :P]