Thursday, October 04, 2012

Let go and move on. And shut up.

Today is October 4th. The day my father passed away 4 years ago. As the years pass by, I find it easier to deal with my loss but I still struggle on and around this day. I become cranky, withdrawn and introspective. I try to find a connection with my dad by doing a "havan" on the morning of October 4th, and by making his favorite food for dinner. I try not to miss him, his soft laugh and rough touch. I try to remember what he taught me and how much he loved me. I try to bring up a picture of him in my mind – that disarming smile, thick black/grey hair, broad forehead. Sometimes, instead, I see the image of him standing next to my mom, withered and tired – this was when he visited me for the first time after he had just recovered from a stroke. My mind wanders on to the painful fact that I listened to him and did not go to India when he was hospitalized for his surgery. I could at least have met him, touched him, and talked to him one last time. He told me to stay home because M needed me. That he will be fine and back home in no time. I was a fool to listen to him.

This is also the day when I feel the loneliest on the planet even though I have J with me and he stays home to do the havan with me. Human mind is such that it always craves the unattainable. That "unattainable" thing for me is a phone call from my family to let me know that they are thinking of me, even though I am so far from them, while they have all gotten together to pay homage to my dad. I call them on the evening of the 3rd, when it is already the morning of 4th at their end. They are usually getting ready to do a havan themselves - cleaning, getting ready, setting things up. We chat briefly and then hang up amidst promises of them calling me the next morning when it is the 4th at my end.

On the morning of the 4th, J and I get ready, clean out the place where we are going to do the havan (usually the garage because it has been raining on this day for the last three years), drop the girls off at school, come back and get everything ready - all the while keeping an ear open for the phone, hoping that it will ring sometime soon. That it will be my mother or brother calling to let me know that even though I might be physically alone, thousands of miles away from them, they are with me in thought and spirit. The call never comes. That is one thing I can count on – that I will never receive that one call on this particular day, when I need it the most. I must learn to cope on my own.

A few friends, to whom I vented about this, consoled me by saying they perhaps “freeze up” at the thought of making this call, it must hurt so much. I can understand that, and at the same time I don’t. I understand that it can hurt terribly, that their grief probably paralyzes them. But, I can’t understand why someone would not think of a loved one’s hurt and keep his (or her) own hurt aside for a few minutes. Can it be that difficult? If my daughter told me how it hurts that I don’t call her on the one day that she feels utterly lonely, I think I WOULD remember to call her from then on even if my own grief was killing me.

Maybe I am making a big deal out of it unnecessarily. I should count my blessings. My mom loves me dearly, and so does my brother. I have spent the entire day today reminding myself of this. If my mom didn't love me, she wouldn't close down her own home for 4 months to come live with me. If my brother didn't love me, his face wouldn't light up when we meet. People can love you and still be thoughtless sometimes. I have to learn to accept that. I should just let it go and move on. But moving on is such a hard thing to do! There should be an app for that.

15 comments:

  1. First of all a big hug to you from me.

    Somehow you have said it all about how you feel about the day like I do on July 10 - the day my mom died.

    The moment I start thinking about the day it seems as if something is clawing me inside. And there are times when I do not even want to think about it just to get rid of that feeling. I don't if that will be called as cowardice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ~nm, Hugs backatcha!

    Its called survival technique honey, not cowardice. We all cope differently. Coping is necessary for our survival or such emotions will just engulf us.

    I am sorry about your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs...an app for that would be welcome. No, it's not expecting too much...it's the least ever. All of us call up my grandma on my grandpa's b'day and wedding anniv day.

    I don't think the silence helps at all...tho' it's been almost 13 years since my first son died...I almost fall with gratitude on any friend who remembers the fact that he lived, had a birthday...

    People can love you and still be thoughtless sometimes....so so true. What can we do except correct it going forward? You're doing the havan, and writing about it and are determined to be there if your daughters should need you to, in the way they want...commemorate it always if you feel like it. And please don't feel like you have to move on, in some timeline. Some years will be hard even when you think it's all behind you. He was your daddy, no?

    Hugs again. Don't be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're asking for too much, Cee. But this seems to be one of those things that will continue to be denied for reasons we do not understand.

    Vicky also stands in your shoes so I really do know where you're coming from, OK? Sending you virtual bug higs because who knows when we're meeting next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starry: Thanks a ton for your comforting words. Yes, sometimes I wish I weren't strong. Because, if I could break down in front of others, they would probably realize the depth of my hurt. But I don't, so they don't...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unmana: Thanks for the hugs. They were much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue: Thanks for the higs, and for being there. I wish we lived closer because I have been feeling the need to talk to you more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs Cee. You know, when someone passes away in our extended family, I do wait for about a week before calling the grown up in the family (I can talk to my cousins immediately) because knowing one that the wound would be so raw and two that I would definitely break down myself, I just feel that I'll be adding to their sorrow, esp because I am far away. I feel guilty for not being there for their support. May be that's how your mom and brother feel. May be it would be uncomfortable for them to have you crying when they can't be physically there to console you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, Cee, life is very very strange. This year I kept feeling very strange around the beginning of June, but didn't know why. On the evening of the 4th, while talking to my sister, I realised that it was my father's death anniversary. I was quite upset with myself for forgetting the date, because I know how much I miss my father every single day. Maybe because I was with him during his last few years it was more bearable. How I wish your mother and brother would understand how important it is to you that they call on this day....
    Maybe, just maybe they will, someday. Big hugs. I know this is terribly terribly late.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neera: I know what you mean but believe me, this isn't their reason :( I know they both love me very much but it is beyond me why they would ignore something that is obviously so important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dipali: Thanks for dropping by. Huge hugs to you. Kind words are never late and I so appreciate yours. HUGS.

    I, too, have found that though I remember my father almost every day and he is always on my mind, dates bother me less and less. Hopefully I will get over this too. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Been reading your blog today, have done before too. Just wanted to pass on my hugs to you. Sometimes, its easier to not wonder about another person's actions however dear they are..It only hurts us more and not the other person. Its not much to expect family to understand one's grief or anguish but dwelling on their ignoring it is going to hurt you more. You remember your father and that is the important point. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    Been reading your blog today, have done before too. Just wanted to pass on my hugs to you. Sometimes, its easier to not wonder about another person's actions however dear they are..It only hurts us more and not the other person. Its not much to expect family to understand one's grief or anguish but dwelling on their ignoring it is going to hurt you more. You remember your father and that is the important point. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice...
    the moment I start thinking about the day it seems as if something is clawing me inside

































































































    www.apniwebtv.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice.....Everything




    send free unlimited sms anywhere in India no registration and no log in
    http://freesandesh.in

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?