Thursday, July 08, 2010

No really! What DO women want??

This is what the good folks at Blogadda were asking and wanted desi bloggers to answer. If you are a woman, you had to write about what you (or all women) want and if you are a man, you had to write about what you think they want (Hasn't that always been a problem though? People think they know what women want and expect women to act accordingly) I missed the boat on that one because I didn't feel my post was good enough to be submitted for the contest. But I think I will post it here on my blog because, really, my blog can take anything I throw at it :)

By the way, they have already declared the results and I love, LOVE the post that won the first prize. Do check it out. Seems my decision not to enter the contest was a wise one. I can't compete with that kind of genius :)

Here is how my post goes:


I am a woman and here is what I want (or have wanted at some point in my life). Many of these could be termed dreams because I don't believe people will get it even after we tell them what we want :P

1. Women want to be heard. Most people speak, think (or not) and never listen. Specially when it comes to their expectations of women. Heck, they don't even remember to ask a woman what she wants.

Oh, we treat our women as "devis".
No thank you. I'd rather you treat me as a human being. Do no impose devi-giri on me, do not tell me it is my strength that allows me to tolerate everything I go through. DO NOT put me on a pedestal for tolerating shit from you or anybody else. I don't want to compete with Laxmi, the goddess of wealth. I'd rather you treat me as an equal and let me work hard where ever I want to work, in which ever field I like, to bring home "Laxmi" just like my husband does, and be a contributing partner in our team. Even when (or if) I am not earning, I AM holding the fort at the home front so my husband can go out and make a living without having to worry about childcare or meals. I AM A CONTRIBUTING PARTNER REGARDLESS OF MY EARNING STATUS. I want people to understand that.

2. Women want to be treated with respect for their intelligence. Not feared. Not ridiculed. Not ignored. Respected. 

I lived in India when I was expecting my first child. On occasions my OB/GYN made me feel like a dumb dame by assuming/acting as if I didn't have the capacity to hear or understand what she had to say. Like when I was experiencing strong labor pains and was also bleeding heavily, and went to consult her (on my way to the hospital) - she turned to my brother in-law (who was with me) and told him why she thought the baby wasn't descending. She talked to him about the entire situation referring to me in the third person as if I were some vegetable they were considering buying or selling!! Even when she mentioned that I might require a C-section. My brother in-law is a doctor so, I agree, he should have been given the information so he could better help me. But I was there too!! She could easily have addressed both of us. 

3. Women want a chance, to make their own decisions, to follow their own dreams and instincts. Don't tell a girl that she should opt for Biology or literature because that will allow her to go into teaching which, in turn, will allow her to more flexibility to be home with her kids. She might want to become a car mechanic for all you know. Don't tell a woman to leave her job when she gets engaged or pregnant. Mention that she should leave her job and join cooking classes (or sewing or any other classes that teach "womanly" skills) at the risk of losing limb or life. Don't tell a woman to "get a job now that your kids are going to school full time". It should be her decision.

I would like to be an equal participant of all financial decisions made in the family. I would like to be the maker of my own decisions, not an "acceptor" of the decisions someone else makes for me.

4. And lastly, one particular woman wants a surprise birthday or anniversary party from her partner but, frankly, she doesn't think it even occurs to him :)

14 comments:

  1. Hi! De-lurking for the first time. (I think) I was nodding my head all through your post. Agree with you completely.
    "Even when (or if) I am not earning, I AM holding the fort at the home front so my husband can go out and make a living without having to worry about childcare or meals. I AM A CONTRIBUTING PARTNER REGARDLESS OF MY EARNING STATUS. I want people to understand that."
    So true. Something people fail to understand. Oh, your'e just a housewife? They say condescendingly.
    A point I would like to suggest for adding to your list: I wish people would realise that the girl has probably grown up in a different environment from the boy, and cannot be expected to imbibe magically by osmosis the way's of her in-law's household. Give her time. And why can't the in-laws try to meet her somewhere in between? Why should she make all the changes? Having been there, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on.

    Does the partner read this blog and take VERY BROAD hints? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got my vote.

    Why do they judge based on gender and not on merit / what you do / are capable of doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooooooooo echoing you on that last line!!! So desperate to be surprised by my highly preditable spouse!!!!!

    Totally agree with that attitude where women are made invisible and unheard when it's their bodies, their lives, their families and their happiness that's in question. I would've slapped that gynec. Been treated like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandhya: Thanks for delurking :) Nice point you made. I have been through that too. Try not to remember those days - maybe that is why didn't remember to put it down :P These 3 points are absolutely non-negotiable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ro: The partner has been very busy and hasn't read my last few posts. So, no I don't think he'll read this or notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. RGB: Thanks for the vote! Yes - absolutely maddening that our gender decides what we should/can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starry: LOL! Your comment reminded me of something J did (at my request) and failed. I think I'll do a post on it :)

    I wish I could slap that gynaec. She was absent during the crucial times in my labor and I think I am lucky S and I came out of that ordeal alive. One woman lost her life to this doc later and another one lost her baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely awesome post :)
    Couldn't agree more on these points, you had me nodding all the way while reading :D
    The last point was a spot on. I m patiently waiting for my hubby to remember at least one important date without any hints :)

    Keep up the awesome work.

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. :)

    Especially at the last. It certainly didn't happen to me this year (or ever before that) and I don't imagine it will happen next year or in the years ahead. But I can still want it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your post!!! Love the term 'devi-giri' - and the opposite of that would be? Kulta-giri? ;)


    The gynaec deserves the slap Starry offered. Do write the post you have mentioned...

    1,2 and 3 - absolutely brilliant.

    LOL@ 4th :) I believe in hint dropping.

    Ques: Guess what do I really want?
    Ans: hmmm
    Ques: Okay choose,
    i) A surprise anniversary party?
    ii) A surprise birthday party?
    iii) All of the above?
    iv) One of the above?
    Ans: Why didn't you tell me!?
    Ques: That's not one of the choices
    :)


    Heh heh :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another tag for you:

    http://rachnared.blogspot.com/2010/07/tag-top-ten-fictional-heroes.html

    Since you love reading too, thought you would enjoy this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chatterbox: Thanks :) Sympathies regarding the last point sista!

    Sue: I thought setting an example might make him realize it so I threw him surprise budday parties (note the plural, please). Nothing doing.No coin dropped, no bulb lit up :(( I am too proud to send "messages" through the kids :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. IHM: LOL @ kulta-giri :P And the Q&A is hilarious! I am too proud to drop hints :( Wottodo?!

    Rachna: Thanks for the tag - will definitely take it up!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?