Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pleading "Not Guilty"






Note: I had been planning this post for a long time but now seemed like a good time to post it because I came across the The Women's Web 'Mommy Guilt' Contest. Mommy Guilt is omnipresent, but it doesn't have to consume us!


I often joke that the only trips I take are the Guilt Trips that the states of being a mother, daughter, wife and friend induce. I am way too familiar with the feeling of guilt. The pensiveness, the tension. The nagging feeling that you are responsible for someone else's unhappiness or misfortune. Oddly tough, the guilt I suffer the least is Mommy Guilt. I guess I have been through too much to have already realized that NOTHING is under your control as a parent. 

I had no problem conceiving my first child. It seemed like we decided to have kids, started trying and Boom! I was pregnant. Well, not right away. It took us two tries because the first month we were so tired we fell asleep during the baby making process. (Yeah mom!! That's what happened and it IS funny so don't run away now. Read the entire post :P You too, bro! :D) Then, 3 years later, we decided to bring another child into this world and started trying. And kept trying. And trying. And trying. For four years. And then a bulb went "Ping!" in our brains! WE NEEDED HELP!! So then began the trips to Infertility specialists and clinics and various labs. And the Guilt Monster raised its ugly head - maybe I hadn't been taking good care of myself, maybe I was too fat, maybe I had waited too long and my biological clock was all ticked out. The nice specialists we met slowly, but surely debunked all my maybe's. Women heavier than me got pregnant all the time and the test results showed nothing was wrong with me or J. At 35, my biological clock was fine too. Ours was "Idiopathic Infertility". I define it as "A condition where idiots, who have already conceived once, fail to conceive". I have found that humor is great for dissipating guilt :D 4 IUIs and 2 IVFs later, M came along. Now I look at M and tell myself "There is NO WAY I am feeling guilty any more!"

Working-Mommy-Guilt has been the easiest to deal with. I grew up watching my mom juggle a job with family and housework and saw how she did it all. She actually made it look easy and fun AND fulfilling. So I always knew where I stood in this regard. In the "want to work outside of home" camp. Thankfully, with flexi-time and the good (albeit expensive) childcare options available to us here, it has been manageable AND fulfilling so far. What could be wrong in providing my kids with a secure financial future AND providing them with a happy and content mom? I see no reason to feel guilty there.

I have already written about how I realized that, as a parent, I can't really control everything my child does (or goes through). AT the age of 5, S developed Alopecia Areata. For days, even months and probably years, I tried to find reasons to blame myself. Maybe I didn't give her proper nutrition. Maybe I stressed her out with my discipline or over-scheduled her. Or, maybe, I gave her defective genes. Maybe my house was not clean enough or I was too anal about the cleanliness. ANYTHING that would give me a reason why my daughter was suffering from such an emotionally traumatic condition. Unfortunately, all the doctors we met slowly and methodically destructed all my reasons. Alopecia does not have a known cause, they told me. Then they proceeded to prove it with the umpteen tests they ordered - each test came back normal. Nothing was wrong with my child - except that she had lost 99% of her hair. 

Those were tough days. J and I would sweep up bags full of S' hair from the carpet,  and the vacuum would still clog up and whine in rage with the hair still left behind on the carpet. We painstakingly gathered all the hair that WAS left on S' scalp and tried to cover her head with it so the bald patches wouldn't show. We tried not to discuss how torn we were, in front of S. To her we presented an optimistic facade - that everything will be alright. That she will get all her hair back one day soon and this would be a nightmare left behind, never to be remembered again. She did get her hair back, but the nightmare hasn't been forgotten. She still gets bald patches here and there on her scalp but it isn't as bad either - we no longer fill bags after bags with her hair. 

It used to break my heart to see her try to cover a bald spot or to have her request me to fill out her missing eyebrow with an eyeliner. It is becoming easier to see her figure out ways to hide those bald spots and still look stunning. No that is not my mommy-pride speaking. Her self-confidence makes her shine. I know she still struggles internally with the condition. Still curses it. Hates the way her newly grown hair sticks out from between the rest of the hair. It is a constant battle between her hair and the gel she applies to keep the stray strands down. But I also see a strong woman emerging from within her. A girl who has gone through, and is still struggling with, Alopecia Areata. A girl who, just last year, had an allergic reaction so bad it would have had a grown man howling and is still struggling with the newly developed allergies that she didn't have before now, is now turning into a confident, still kind and loving (despite all the struggle) woman who makes her parents proud each and every moment of their lives. A girl whose teachers write emails to her parents singing praises of how she is the most loving and polite student they have ever met. A girl whose teachers/ school administrators stop me in the school office to joke how they wishe she would get at least one B grade because it just isn't possible for anyone to get all A's. (And I can't tell you how proud that makes me because she got those A's WHILE she was struggling with her severe allergic reactions and outbreaks). She has been the answer to my mommy-guilt. I see her and I see how she has turned out despite all the hardships she has faced, and I say to myself "There is NO WAY I am feeling guilty for THAT!"




Edited to add: This post was considered a "notable entry" in the contest here.

29 comments:

  1. I think you are one of the most sorted people I know. S & M are truly lucky to have you as a role model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ro! This praise, coming from YOU, means a LOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thanks Anu! Glad you came by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is an inspiration. Please convey my message to her - I am in my 20s and I still am busy fighting my insecurities, fears n all the bullshit life throws at me... but SHE has inspired me to look at life in a brighter way. I feel so proud to know someone like her through you.
    I wish that someday I will be able to raise my daughter the way you did, keeping her dignity n confidence intact despite all lows in life.

    *Salutes*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made me beam with pride - for you and ur two beautiful children.

    Esp S. I don't know if I have ever mentioned it but a week before my wedding - my hair fell out. I was combing my hair one day and I could see my scalp. And yep - you guessed it - it was diagnosed as Alopecia Areata. Apparently due to stress lol.

    But I remember how devastated I was knowing that the week I was meant to look my most beautiful I was looking like a bit of a freak. I got over it lol - the wedding went on and my hair grew back.

    But S made me so proud the way she has been handling it because I know it's bloody hard.

    Don't ever feel guilty - you're wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harshita, THANKS A BUNCH!! I showed your message to my daughter and even though she showed no outward signs of pride I KNOW your words gave her encouragement to keep doing what she does. She also said "Thank you!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs Cee Kay, hugs. Thanks for sharing. Far from guilty, you are one of the most together and strong moms ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silvara, it must have been so tough for you!! One thing we have always been thankful for is that S was very little when she started losing her hair and was quite unaware of the cosmetic effects of losing her hair. That way it was easier for her.

    Hope you have gotten all the hair back now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Rohini and @Harshita have summed it all up. Your candor is jaw dropping and I have no words to say about it :).
    I have come to believe that every home has a story to tell, a lesson for us to learn, the lesson is that flaws are what make us more human. Your blog is a reaffirmation of my belief.
    I have a hearing deficiency from my infancy which went untreated (due to lack of tech) till early 2000s and I had to struggle my way through school literally lip reading each class. Each monthly test at school was a major guilt trip. It took me twenty plus years to stop denying and embrace my flaw as myself. I feel foolish today for the time I took.
    When I read your blog today, I was amazed to read how a school going child has beautifully come to terms with herself . I see in your daughter the very essence of human spirit and resilience. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this very personal, straight from your heart post.
    It's not your guilt dear, it's your inner strength that makes you shine and face it all with a smile.

    Wishing life's best for you and everyone in your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I am proud of your daughter on how she has dealt with her situation. Hugs to her.

    On the working out of home front, how do you do it girl? Please give me some advise on child care...where do you leave your children while you are away from work? And what do you do when they wail and cry saying mommy don't go to office? I am brokenhearted today coz I have tried a LOT of child care options but my daughter is heart broken each time I go to work. And there are days...many a days...I give in and just work from home. But at this rate, it can't continue too long. She is 2yrs 9 months btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay! for the not guilty!

    i think it takes a while to cross the bridge from guilty to not-guilty.

    But good for you for staying strong and getting across to the otherside.

    yay for S!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very touching post...i landed up here through mommy's guilt contest and could not stop praising your confidence and the brave S.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life: My GOD!! Things must have been so difficult for you! My husband says he had a hard time at school because his poor vision went undetected until 9th grade. I have high respect for kids like you and him who still survived and came out unscathed. Don't feel foolish for the time you took in overcoming it. That you overcame it at all is an amazing thing only a strong individual could do. Some would have given in to it, become bitter and thrown the towel in saying "What can I do?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chatterbox: Thanks a lot!!

    Divs: I am lucky to have good childcare options. Of course, that doesn't stop my children from saying "Mommy don't go" :) M did that (again) just today. And it is NOT easy, but I know they are in good hands. So I told her I love her and that daddy loves her and he will pick her up, and then I walked out after saying a loud, cheerful "bye" to her. Whether I leave them at daycare today or drop them off at Kindergarten in future, "Mommy don't go" WILL happen. So I take it in my stride. With a slightly heavy heart but yes, in my stride. Hugs. Hope you can figure it out for yourself and your daughter too - the "how to do it" bit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MIM: Thanks :) Yes, I am glad to be on the other side. Feels like I threw a big burden off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Renuka: Awwwww, thanks!! I am glad you came by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I'm so proud of your daughter..I just wiped out tears from my eyes...You guys are an awesome model to all those new families out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your daughter is a role model for most of us who crib and whine at the smallest discomfort in life.. Be proud of your daughter and i see no reason for you to feel guilty at all..

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Don't feel foolish for the time you took in overcoming it. .."

    I feel more so only when I look at relatively how much more mature kids these days are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cee Kay, Time to delurk again and just bow down in front of you. I dont think you have any reason for feeling guilty. You are doing such an amazing job parenting your kids.
    I am inspired by S and by you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You ARE one of the most level headed mom I have known .... how do you manage to it all ???
    And S gets all her strength from you !!! So glad she is turning out to be a strong lady.
    My sister has the same condition ... and nothing has worked for her so far ... its been almost 12 years. It took a lot to rebuild her confidence. She still has an occasional melt down .... but is able to deal with it much better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. New Mum on the Block,Sulakshana,NC: Awwww, thanks!!

    Life: "I feel more so only when I look at relatively how much more mature kids these days are."

    That is because kids today have much more help available to them - their parents are more aware of various issues, the society is aware, there are so many resources available for them to use and educate themselves (and others). I will still say - Don't feel foolish for the time you took in overcoming it. You did it ALL ON YOUR OWN. That is something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  26. CA: Sorry to know that your sister has been through it as well. It IS tough.I think we were lucky to have been in the US. Had we been in India, I am sure S would have faced much more teasing and questioning. Here no one harassed her with questions, looks or comments.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are so right about no fuss in US ... and a lot of questioning in India.
    One of the top reasons for my sister to stay in US .... among other reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  28. CA: It is sad! I am very open about the fact that I went through IVF for my second daughter, but you know I sometimes feel that if we had been living in India, I probably wouldn't have been this forthcoming either. The interference and the insensitivity from some people is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?