Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Now, some funny/cute Hindi-speak

because it comes from the mouth of children who are growing up in an American environment speaking a language (English) that does not have many sounds that Hindi does. Since kids learn languages better at a younger age, it is a good idea to expose them to as many languages as possible (on a regular basis for them to be able to pick up the languages). But that also brings a drawback with it. Kids can learn the language but (I believe) they pick up the accent that they primarily hear.

For example, S and M both speak and understand Hindi but their exposure to spoken English is far more than that to spoken Hindi (8+ hours at school/daycare vs. 4-5 at home) Plus, once your ears become attuned to the sounds of one language you start "speaking" other languages in that language. At least that is what S does. So she has a hard time pronouncing Hindi words that have the composite sounds containing the "hh/th/gh" etc. sounds in them. Like "haathi" (elephant - हाथी ) becomes हाती. (haati)  घर (Ghar = house) is pronounced as गर (Gar = no meaning).

She also has problem saying the "ड़" sound which cannot be compared to ANY sound in English. So she pronounces that as "र" ("r"). "पापर" (पापड़), "दौर" (दौड़) and "बरा" (बड़ा) is how she says the words containing this sound. I have been trying to train her to say these words properly by having her repeat this sounds in rapid succession like "ड़ ड़ ड़ ड़ ड़ ड़ ड़ ड़ ड़" and she does say it correctly when I have her do this. But when it comes to speaking fluently, she reverts to the "English-y" accent.

I don't fret about this too much because I think she is doing great - at least she doesn't feel ashamed in speaking her mother tongue - unlike some kids I have seen in our friend circle.

Then there are some words that S mispronounced by replacing letters which resulted in some funny mistakes. I loved those and keep reminding her of those mistakes just to keep those memories alive. She once asked me if I could make some "मकोड़े" (Makodey = ants) for snacks when she actually wanted to eat "पकोड़े"  (Pakodey = a savory snack made by dipping assorted vegetables in a chickpea flour batter and deepfried) :D Once she complained that I make too much "कुत्तपम" (Kuttapam = not a word really but "kutta" means "dog" in Hindi). She was actually complaining about "उत्तपम" (Uttapam) :)

There are many other words that S mispronounces and to my ears they sound cute and funny and sweet - because she is at least making an effort. (I am looking forward to similarly hilarious times with M :D)

16 comments:

  1. LOL at Kruttapam! I see no need for Red Markers here but I'll link anyway, it's a cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'She also has problem saying the "ड़" sound which cannot be compared to ANY sound in English. So she pronounces that as "र". '

    tell. me. about. it
    And all my friends taunt me about this but what to do, it just does not happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue: Thanks :)

    oRange: Oh I can imagine the ribbing you must get! I have come to realize that some people really do have a problem saying it and most of us, who don't, just don't realize how tough it can be to an unaccustomed tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, cute.
    don't worry about the 'dha' sound. i still occasionally say gari for car. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLing at Kuttappam and Makodey!!

    You're tagged in the 'My Sins against Gender Stereotypes' tag http://starsinmeyes.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/my-sins-against-gender-stereotypes/

    ReplyDelete
  6. this reminds me of Meg always wanting to call a banana "vaaraparam" instead of the correct "vazhaipazham" :) But like you said I am just glad they speak the language confidently unlike many other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always teased for saying 'ga', etc instead of 'gha' etc. There is no difference in my mother tongue, Tamil, so I actually have a hard time even digesting that those differences are important ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mix the genders in Hindi. doesnt S?

    I also mix up alot of words, like the NRIs they show in the hindi movies. :)

    And dont starts on the th and t sound, apparently my Singaporean accent sounds completely tolaa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mona: I felt strange for a second realizing that we communicate so much with each other and I still don't know how you say certain words. Isn't that funny? :D

    Starry: Thanks for the tag. Will take it up SOON (pwomise!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sands: I knew you'd identify with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. JustAnotherBlogger: :)

    Sraikh: She does get confused about the gender now and then but mostly gets it right. Or maybe I have gotten used to her brand of Hindi :D I love it when M says "she" for her dad or when she says "Dadda ofish gayee?" :) What's "tolaa"? LOL at your NRI-type Hindi :) I would love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, it is weird. also, i had to for the longest time, take wild guesses at the gender of stuff. i've been known to say, biryani bohot achcha bana tha!
    the mokodey bit totally cracked me up even on the second read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww cuteness :D
    the makoda/pakoda confusion is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mona: LOL @ the wild guesses. A Bengali friend of my mom's once asked her "How do you know paani aata hai ya aati hai?" Even I wonder sometimes!

    MayG: Even I crack up everytime I think about it!

    ReplyDelete

And you were sayin'....?

What do you do with the leftover milk in your cereal bowl once the cereal is finished?

If you had a top that was too short to cover both - your cleavage and your midriff - what would you do?